Township of York, Clark County, Wisconsin
"Clark Co. Illustrated" by Saterlee, Tifft & Marsh, 1890.
YORK TOWNSHIP is located a few miles southeast of the center of the county, and is more accurately described as township number twenty-five, range number one west. It consists of one township or tract of land six miles square, having the forth-principal meridian as its eastern boundary line. This is one of the younger towns of the county, yet some parts of the town have been settled for several years. It is settled almost entirely by people from the eastern states, principally New York, although within the past few years many settlers have come to this town from the southern and eastern part of this state. The first settlement of the town was made in the southern part, but it has gradually spread all over the town, and although there is much unoccupied land in the town, we think there isn't a whole section in the town that hasn't an occupant. It is very natural that this should be the case, as there isn't, section, or hardly an acre of poor land in the whole town, and it would be unjust to leave the subject by Simply saying there is no poor land in the town, for it is the honest opinion of the writer that there is not a better township of land in the state, and very few in any state, than this town of York, when everything is taken into consideration.
It is almost entirely hardwood land, except along one or two streams where some pine timber grew. We call the reader's attention to the map and to the numerous streams in this township.
The soil is adapted to the growing of all kinds of vegetables produced in this latitude, and on f the large crops of grass and other food for which the soil produces, and on account of the of water, it is as well adapted to stock raising as to other branches of agriculture. Many of the farmers raise as high as eighty bushels of oats per acre f the farmer & inform us that they get from forty bushels of spring wheat from sowing three bushels. The average crop of hay probably is two tons per acre, but it is not an uncommon in this township. The soil is adapted to the growing of ill kinds of grains and vegetables produced in this latitude, and on account of the large crops of grass and other food for stock, which the soil produces, and on account of the abundance of water, it is as well adapted to stock raising as to other branches of agriculture. Many of the farmers raise as high as eighty bushels of oats per acre. Several of the farmers inform us that they get from thirty to forty bushels of spring wheat from sowing three bushels. The average crop of hay probably is not above two tons per acre, but it is not an uncommon occurrence to out as high as three and even four tons from an acre.
There are three mills in the town that are engaged in cutting the hardwood timber into lumber, staves, "heading, hubs, spokes, &c. The quality of the timber which grows here makes it a very desirable location for manufacturing establishments of this kind, and the fact of the two railroads passing this town, one near the southern boundary and one near the northern boundary, will soon be in operation, will cause many establishments of this kind to be located in this vicinity within the coming year or two.
Every part of the town that is settled up has a school district and a good substantial schoolhouse. The old log schoolhouses which were built when the town was first settled have disappeared, and cozy frame and brick buildings stand in their place. In some of the country neighborhoods the schoolhouse is also used for religious services, while in other localities buildings are erected exclusively for church use. There are two buildings of this class in the town, both of which are quite large and convenient buildings. The larger one of these two is located in the part known as "York Center." Opposite this church is the town hall, which is a very roomy and substantial building. It was erected about two years ago, and is used for all town and board meetings and for such other purposes as the supervisors of the town think proper.
Near these public buildings is located a general store which does quite a large business. The post-office known as Wilcox is in this general store, with Mr. Rowe as postmaster.
The county farm is located in the southwestern portion of this town, with Mr. C. H. Ebbe as overseer. Those who are in distressed circumstances, and are residents of the county, are given a home here, and are provided for at the expense of the town of which they are a resident. We think it speaks well for the county when we say there are but few inmates in this home.
The growth of this town in population and wealth has not been very rapid, but has increased very steadily since its first settlement. In 1875 there were but 312 people in the town; in 1880 there were 477; in 1885 there were 775, and the present year there are a few less than 900. With its great natural advantages, and rapidly settled up within the next few years, and without doubt will become one of the most populous and wealthy towns in the count.
The town officers are: Chairman of town board and member of county board, C. H. Ide; clerk H. S. Chase; treasurer, S. D. Gibson; assessor, Sanford Benedict.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs