Merchants' & Mechanic's Savings Bank

Including Merchants & Savings Bank

1857 - 1927 - ?

Merchants & Savings Bank started in Janesville in 1857 as Merchant's & Mechanic's
Bank. In 1883, they had a telephone installed but removed it the following year. In 1919, they operated a shooting range in their basement for its vigilante committee. According to 1925 and 1927 advertisements, it was the oldest savings bank in Rock County in operation.
Locals call this bank the M&S Bank.
Further information can be found below from 1889's Portrait & Biographical Album
of Rock County, Wisconsin.

The Merchants' and Mechanics' Savings Bank was chartered in September, 1875,
with an authorized capital of $100,000, and a paid up capital of $20,000. After five years the capital stock which had been paid amounted to $50,000, and the entire capital was reduced to that amount. The principal incorporators of this institution were Frank LELAND, Henry PALMER, M.D., A. H. SHELDON, Capt. William MACLOON, A. A. JACKSON, and David JEFFRIS. The first executive Board was composed of David JEFFRIS, President; A. A. JACKSON and John McLAY, Vice Presidents; and H. G. REICHWALD, Cashier. The board of directors consisted of William MACLOON, David JEFFRIS, L. B. CASH, H. PALMER, H. G. REICHWALD, Frank LELAND, A. H. SHELDON, Seth FISHER and A. A. JACKSON. The present officers are Henry PALMER, President; A. H. SHELDON and F. KIMBALL, Vice Presidents; W. F. JEFFRIS, Cashier, and William BLADON, Assistant Cashier. The directors are H. PALMER, W. MACLOON, David JEFFRIS, A. H. SHELDON, F. C. COOK, F. KIMBALL, James SHEARER, George E. SUTHERLAND, and W. S. JEFFRIS. The Merchants' and Mechanics' Savings Bank is one of the leading financial institutions of the county, and does a general banking business. It consists of two departments - a commission bank and savings bank. The bank was first located in the LAPPIN Block on Milwaukee street, where business was carried on for ten years, when, in August, 1885, it was removed to the new office in the JEFFRIS Block, at the west end of Milwaukee street bridge. The room was especially fitted up as a banking office, and the vault is one of the most complete in the West. It is absolutely fire and burglar proof, measures 7x9 feet, is eight feet high inside, and line with chrome steel, drill proof. The solid masonry of this vault is two feet in thickness outside, with two air chambers between the lining and the outside wall. The doors are double, the outside doors weighing about 4,000 pounds. Inside this are steel folding doors, a 6,000-pound Hall safe, with a consolidated time clock, and, inside this safe, the reserve chest. The vault is also supplied with a nest of 143 deposit boxes, which are rented to persons desiring a safe place to deposit valuable papers, etc. These boxes are provided with single key locks, which are kept by the depositors. David JEFFRIS, the first president of the bank, remained in that position until he was succeeded by D. H. PALMER, the present incumbent. Mr. REICHWALD filled the office of cashier until July, 1883, when W. S. JEFFRIS succeeded to the position. The bank has had a prosperous existence, and is one of the leading institutions of the city.
 
[Source: Portrait & Biographical Album of Rock County, Wisconsin. 1889 Acme, Chicago, Illinois; p. 1027]

1902 Officers & Stockholders
  • W. S. JEFFRIS, President
  • Wm. BLADON, Cashier
  • Directors: David JEFFRIS, James MOUAT, F. C. COOK, W. S. JEFFRIS, A. H. SHELDON, Wm. BLADON, James MENZIES
  • Stockholders: W. S. JEFFRIS, A. H. SHELDON, Wm. BLADON, W. H. H. MACLOON, David JEFFRIS, Frank GRAY, James MOUAT, James MENZIES, Benj. BLEASDALE, W. H. TALLMAN, F. C. COOK, Mrs. M. M. CARLE, W. B. BRITTON, Mrs. I. A. SHELDON, F. S. ELDRED estate, M. G. JEFFRIS, S. A. JEFFRIS, Wm. WINKLEY, Mrs. F. A. CAPELLE, S. M. SMITH, Isaac F. CONNORS, Mrs. M. M. BLADON, Mrs. J. M. KELLER, A. P. LOVEJOY, Jennie M. BAKER, Bell BOOTHROYD
1919 Officers
  • W. S. JEFFRIS, President
  • Wm. BLADON, Vice-President
  • S. M. SMITH, Cashier
  • C. H. CAGE, Assistant Cashier
  • E. J. HAUMERSON, Assistant Cashier
1925 Officers
  • Wm. BLADON, President
  • George S. PARKER, Vice-President
  • E. J. HAUMERSON, Cashier
  • J. T. NOLAN, Assistant Cashier
  • F. L. GLEASON, Assistant Cashier
  • Directors: Wm. BLADON, E. J. HAUMERSON, D. W. HOLMES, M. O. MOUAT, George S. PARKER, Dr. J. F. PEMBER & R. E. WISNER
1927 Officers
  • Wm. BLADON, Chairman of the Board
  • E. J. HAUMERSON, President
  • Geo. S. PARKER, Vice President
  • J. T. NOLAN, Cashier
  • H. W. ALLEN, Assistant Cashier
  • Directors: E. J. HAUMERSON, Wm. BLADON, R. E. WISNER, D. W. HOLMES, M. O. MOUAT, Geo. S. PARKER & J. E. WOOD

©2006-2007 ALHN-Rock Co., WI

Site Coordinator: Lori Niemuth