- John HAUSER started his grocery
on 136 State Street. In 1851, he moved the
- business to 138 State Street, where
it the HAUSER family operated it until 1934 - about 83
years in the same family.
- John's daughters, Sarah HAUSER and
Hannah (HAUSER) SCHLENK, took over
- the grocery upon his death in 1904.
Sarah, who never married, continued to run the store after Hannah
died in 1931.
- Most of this information was gathered
from The Beloit Daily News, especially
- Hannah and Sarah's obituaries (Hannah's
obituary ran on the front page of the newspaper). Ironically,
the newspaper office stands on the site of the grocery (138 State
Street). This information was kindly submitted by John's great-great-granddaughter,
Sue Ellen HAUSER-BERENDSEN.