Second Congregational Church


City of Beloit, Rock County, Wisconsin

Courtesy of Carol

The Second Congregational Society was organized January 5, 1859. Public services
of worship were first held in a hall at the southwest corner of Bluff and Bridge streets (now West Grand avenue).
The Second Congregational Church was organized September 11, 1859, with forty
charter members.
The first church building was erected at the northeast corner of St. Lawrence and
Parker avenues and was dedicated December 5, 1859. October 5, 1903, this church and society voted to build a new church edifice. The corner stone was laid (at the southeast corner of St. Lawrence avenue and Bluff street) October 30, 1904, and the new edifice was dedicated October 15, 1905. Cost, about $35,000.
The successive pastors have been: Rev. J. L. KNAPP, 1859; Rev. N. D.
GRAVES, 1860 to 1866; Rev. Henry P. HIGLEY, D.D., 1866 to 1891 (his twenty-five years of service marking the longest pastorate); Rev. W. W. SLEEPER, nine years, 1891 to 1900. He was an accomplished musician and built up the musical aspect of the church services with especial success. Rev. B. Royal CHENEY served from 1900 until his death, when traveling in Europe during the summer of 1905, by an elevator accident in Florence, Italy. In the beautiful public cemetery of that city his remains were buried and the spot is now marked with a monument, erected by his many friends here. He had undertaken and carried through to virtual completion the building of a new church edifice, and had even arranged the program of the dedication service. During Mr. CHENEY's absence in Europe the pulpit was being supplied by Professor J. A. BLAISDELL, of Beloit College. Rev. Mr. BLAISDELL and Rev. Edwin A. RALPH were called as associate pastors and are still in service.
[Source: Rock County, Wisconsin: A new history of it's cities, villages, etc., Vol. I, by William Fiske Brown (editor-in-chief); ©1908 C. F. Cooper, Chicago, IL; pp. 269-270]

©2002 ALHN-Rock County, Wisconsin

Site Coordinator: Lori Niemuth