Gridley Chapel

 

City of Beloit, Rock County, Wisconsin
 

Courtesy of Carol

Gridley Chapel, situated at the northeast corner of Strong and Partridge avenues,
was built and furnished by William B. STRONG as a memorial of his father, Elijah Gridley STRONG The building, which is of red brick and cost $3,500.00 was dedicated August 27, 1899, as a union church. At first Charles KELSEY, a missionary of the American Sunday School Union, took charge of the work. December 3d, 1899, was begun a series of revival meetings, conducted by Rev. Harold F. SAYLES for two weeks. January 7th, 1900, Miss Jennie Anna GALE of St. Johnsbury, Vt., who had been the assistant pastor of a church in Brownington, Vt., during the previous year, began service as the minister of this congregation.
April 5th and 19th, 1900, at Gridley Chapel, a constitution was adopted and signed
by thirty members and the officers for a new church were elected. April 22d, 1900, Gridley Church was publicly organized as an evangelical but undenominational church.
July 27th, 1900, a Christian Endeavor Society was organized with thirty active
members and one associate. October 18th, 1900, Rev. Charles KELSEY organized there the Gridley Chapel Sunday School, auxiliary to the American Sunday School Union.
Miss GALE (now Mrs. W. R. IRWIN) served just four years and was followed
by Rev. Lyman W. WINSLOW, who was their minister until his failing health obliged him to resign in the spring of 1906 and go to California. After two months of temporary supplies Mr. William CARPENTER, came and served for the rest of that year. In September, 1907, began the ministry here of the present incumbent, Rev. L. W. CHAPMAN.
The membership of the church is now 105, of which number about sixty-five are
resident members. There is a flourishing Sunday school of some two hundred members, besides fifty-eight in a home department. There is a Christian Endeavor Society., a well attended "Mothers' Meeting," and a missionary organization of men, women and children, called the Kingdom Extension Society.
 
[Source: Rock County, Wisconsin: A new history of it's cities, villages, etc., Vol. I, by William Fiske Brown (editor-in-chief); ©1908 C. F. Cooper, Chicago, IL; pp. 278-279]

©2002 ALHN-Rock County, Wisconsin

Site Coordinator: Lori Niemuth