- In the year 1859, owing to some differences
which are liable to occur, and which
- did occur, there was a division in
Trinity Church, and steps were taken toward organizing another.
Meetings were held in Lappin hall, and the Rev. Thomas J. RUGER
was chosen as their rector. On September 20, 1859, they effected
a permanent organization, and the following officers were elected:
George CANNON, senior warden; Frank M. SMITH, junior
warden; vestrymen, John R. R. PEASE, L. F. PATTEN,
Lewis E. Stone, Shubael W. SMITH, Hiram JACKMAN,
B. WHEELER, John E. JENKINS and George BARNES.
Lappin's hall being very much in demand, they were compelled
to look elsewhere for a convenient place to worship. Colonel
Ezra MILLER offered the society the use of the Ogden house
dining room, which was accepted and used until 1861. At a meeting
of the vestrymen held April 4, 1861, a lot was purchased of Hamilton
RICHARDSON on Court street, near the east end of the public
square, and a contract made with V. G. NETTLETON to build
a church. It was consecrated October 31, 1861, by the Rt. Rev.
Jackson KEMPER, D.D., bishop of the diocese of Wisconsin.
The following gentlemen have officiated as rectors of the church
since its organization: Revs. Thomas J. RUGER, Henry W.
SPAULDING, D.D., Robert W. WOOLSEY, E. Tolson BAKER,
Joseph WOOD, George W. DUNBAR and Rev. Lee ROYCE
in 1877, who was succeeded in 1881 by Rev. C. M. PULLEN.
In 1887, Rev. H. W. SPAULDING, who took charge as rector
of the church in December, 1859, was recalled, and remained in
charge until September, 1889, when Rev. H. Baldwin DEAN
became rector. Rev. A. H. BARRINGTON was called to the
rectorship February 1, 1891, and resigned November, 1895. The
church was without a rector until May 9, 1906, when Rev. John
McKINNEY, the present incumbent, became rector.
- Church societies: Christ Church Guild,
Mrs. L. C. BREWER, president; St. Agnes
- Guild, Mrs. F. F. STEVENS, president;
Daughters of the King, Mrs. William RUGER, president;
Women's Auxiliary, Mrs. John McKINNEY, president; Junior
Auxiliary, Mrs. Abby WINSLOW and Miss Bessie WOODRUFF,
- Vestry: Senior warden, William RUGER;
junior warden, Robert M. BOSTWICK,
- Jr.; vestrymen, George S. PARKER,
Jr., William SAYLES, George SMITH, William SKELLY,
Joseph L. BOSTWICK and Norman L. CARLE. Robert
M. BOSTWICK, Jr., is treasurer of the society and William
RUGER, Jr. , is clerk of the vestry.
- New windows and new pews have been
placed in the church during the present
- year (1908).
- [Source: Rock County, Wisconsin:
A new history of it's cities, villages, etc., Vol. I, by
William Fiske Brown (editor-in-chief); ©1908
C. F. Cooper, Chicago, IL; pp. 293-295]