Methodist Episcopal Church

 

City of Milton, Milton Township, Rock County, Wisconsin
 

Courtesy of Carol

Milton Township
The Methodist Episcopal Church of Milton, Wis., was organized in the fall of 1846
by Rev. Matthew BENNETT, with a membership of nine, viz.: Abraham BULLIS and wife, William P. IND and wife, Jacob BOWERS, Mrs. D. D. SOWLES, Miss C. C. ATHERTON, now Mrs. William McEWAN, and a local preacher, Rev. A. WARREN and his wife. Previous to this organization, meetings were held from time to time by preachers sent by the Illinois Conference. As early as 1837, Rev. Jesse HALSTEAD preached to the settlers. He was followed by Rev. C. D. PILLSBURY, Rev. HODGES and Father McKAY. The first services of the society were held in the old stone school-house. In January, 1854, steps were taken to erect a church which was completed in the fall of the same year.
Messrs. Abraham BULLIS, William P. IND, Jacob BOWERS, Leander
HALLECK and Charles M. DRAKE constituted the board of trustees. Messrs. P. G. McCOMBER, Joel WOOD and David WALSH were afterward added to the board. The church was a frame building with a stone basement, with a seating capacity of 225 and cost $1,500. The lot upon which it was erected was the gift of Mr. Peter McEWAN. The church was enlarged and repaired at a cost of $2,4000 under the pastorate of Rev. D. L. BARROWS, and is now a beautiful house of worship, carpeted throughout, with elegant seats and pulpit furniture.
 
[Source: The Portrait & Biographical Album of Rock County, Wisconsin, ©1889 Acme, Chicago, IL; p. 1019]

©2006 ALHN-Rock Co., WI

Site Coordinator: Lori Niemuth