BELOIT, a few miles distant [from Janesville]
in Rock County, near the south line of
the State, was incorporated in 1845.
It is finely situated on Rock River, and is amply supplied with
water-power sufficient for manufactories and mills of every description.
It is noted for its fine churches, spacious streets, and for
being the seat of Beloit College, which was founded in 1846.
The present population is about 7,000.