"Wisconsin Gazetteer"

by John Warren Hunt

©1853 Beriah Brown, Printer, Madison.

 

p. 49

 

Courtesy of Lori

BELOIT, P.V., Rock County, on sections 35 and 36, in town of same name, being
town 1 N., of range 12 E., 12 miles south from Janesville, and 45 miles southeast from Madison. It is situated on the State line, at the junction of Turtle Creek with Rock River. Its commercial and manufacturing facilities are of a superior character, and the means of education are as great as in any other town in the State. It has a population of 3,000, with 400 dwellings, 1 baptist, 1 congregational, 1 methodist, 1 presbyterian, 1 episcopal, and 1 catholic church; 18 dry goods stores, 10 grocery and provision, 2 hardware and 3 drug stores; 3 stove and tin, 2 shoe, 4 clothing and 2 book stores; 2 cabinet, 2 barbers, 2 jewelers, 4 market and 2 paint shops; 1 tobacco factory and store, 3 hotels, 3 flouring, 1 oil and 1 saw mill; 1 flax factory, 1 foundry, 1 machine shop, 1 manufactory of reapers and fanning mills, 2 carriage and wagon factories, 1 scale manufactory, 1 woolen factory, and 1 candle and soap factory.

©2003 ALHN-Rock County, Wisconsin

Site Coordinator: Lori Niemuth