- BELOIT, a flourishing post-village
of Beloit township, Rock county, Wisconsin, on
- the left bank of Rock river, at the
mouth of Turtle creek, 50 miles S. S. E. from Madison, 78 miles
S. W. from Milwaukee, and very near the S. line of the state.
It is situated on a beautiful plain, from which the ground rises
abruptly 50 or 60 feet, affording desirable sites for residences.
The part of the county E. from Rock river is occupied by a fertile
prairie, the largest in the state. The village has an active
trade, and is amply supplied with water-power, which has been
increased by a dam across Rock river, and gives motion to mills
and factories of various kinds. Beloit is noted for its fine
churches, and handsome, spacious streets. It has several flourishing
seminaries, and is the seat of Beloit College, founded in 1846.
The Congregational church, built of gray limestone is described
as one of the most beautiful in the state. Beloit contains 6
churches, 1 or 2 newspaper offices, more than 40 stores, 3 hotels,
3 flouring mills, 1 iron foundry with machine shop, 1 manufactory
of woollen goods, 1 of reapers and fanning mills. 2 of carriages,
and 1 of scales. A branch railroad 18 miles long connects it
with the Galena and Chicago railroad, another is in course of
construction to Madison, and a third projected to Milwaukee.
Settled about 1837, and incorporated in 1845. Pop. of township
in 1850, 2782; of village in 1853, about 3300.