History of the Village of Cooksville

 

Porter Township, Rock County, Wisconsin

COOKSVILLE, P.V., (Waucoma village) in Rock county, being on section 6, town
4 N., of range 11 E. It is 16 miles northwest from Janesville, and 18 miles southeast from Madison, on a broad and gently sloping prairie of two miles in width. It is on the Badfish, with three good millsites within one and a half miles. Population, 250; dwellings, 35; stores, 3; hotels, 1; mills, 3. Presbyterian church, 1 sash and door, 1 wagon, 1 harness, 1 shoe, 1 blacksmith, 1 cabinet, and 1 tailor shop.
 
[Source: Wisconsin Gazetteer by John Warren Hunt; ©1853 Beriah Brown, Printer, Madison; p. 68; Courtesy of Lori]

COOKSVILLE, a post-village of Rock county, Wisconsin, 18 miles S.E. from Madison. It has 1 church, 3 stores, 3 mills, and 35 dwellings.
 
[Source: The New and Complete Gazetteer of the United States by Thomas Baldwin and J. Thomas, M.D., ©1854 Lippincott, Grambo & Co., Philadelphia, PA; p. 278; Courtesy of Kathy Lenerz]

Cooksville, in the town of Porter, on the Chicago & Northwestern Railway, twenty
miles northwest of Janesville, was laid out in 1842 by John COOK, who bought and platted the west half of section 6 under his name. COOK built a saw-mill on Badfish Creek in 1842, and in 1844 sold it to John SHEPARD, who began the erection of a gristmill which was completed in 1847. Another has since been built. One is owned by W. H. LEEDLE & Son; the other is managed by Charles W. JOCK & Son. The first store was opened in 1845 by John D. CHAMBERS, and in 1845 the owner of the east half of section 6 platted it under the name of WAUCOMA. The post-office was established in 1849, with J. D. CHAMBERS as postmaster. The village contains two gristmills, two churches and a public school. Population, 175.
 
[Source: The Portrait & Biographical Album of Rock County, Wisconsin, ©1889 Acme, Chicago, IL; pp. 1019-1020; Courtesy of Carol]

Settled by New England pioneers in 1842, Cooksville is located on the
intersection of Highways 59 and 138. The village has over 50 sites on the National Register of Hisoric Places.
 
[Source: Lori]

©2002 ALHN-Rock County, Wisconsin

Site Coordinator: Lori Niemuth