History of the Village of Fulton

Fulton Township, Rock County, Wisconsin

FULTON, P.V., in town of same name, Rock county, on section 7, town 4 N.,
range 12 E.
 
[Source: Wisconsin Gazetteer by John Warren Hunt; ©1853 Beriah Brown, Printer, Madison; p. 95; Courtesy of Lori]

FULTON, a small post-village of Rock county, Wisconsin, near Rock river, about
34, miles S. E. from Madison.
 
[Source: The New and Complete Gazetteer of the United States by Thomas Baldwin and J. Thomas, M.D., ©1854 Lippincott, Grambo & Co., Philadelphia, PA; p. 410; Courtesy of Kathy Lenerz]

Fulton, on the west border of the town of Fulton, on Catfish Creek, twelve miles
northwest of Janesville and four miles southwest of Edgerton, was settled in 1846, by Emmanuel CORKER, who soon began the erection of a gristmill. Other early settlers, who came soon after him, were James MERWIN, Edward HYLAND, Nelson COON, David L. MILLS, Stiles HAKES, and Henry M. DICKINSON, who opened the first store. Nelson COON built the hotel, which was opened by Philip DAVAULT, under the name of the Fulton House. A creamery was established in 1875. A frame school-house was erected in 1847, and gave place to a brick one in 1864. The first Sunday-school was organized by Frank SAYRE in 1849. The gristmill of WHITE Brothers was purchased by them about twenty years ago. It is the same built originally by Emmanuel CORKER.
 
[Source: The Portrait & Biographical Album of Rock County, Wisconsin, ©1889 Acme, Chicago, IL; p. 1013; Courtesy of Carol]

©2003 ALHN-Rock County, Wisconsin

Site Coordinator: Lori Niemuth