- Indian Ford, on Rock River, ten miles
north of Janesville, in the town of Fulton, is so
- called because, in 1836, Black-Hawk
and his braves forded the Catfish River on the site of what is
now the village. It owes its existence to Guy and Clouden STOUGHTON,
who obtained a charter for the water-power from the government,
erected a dam there and built a mill, in 1843. Mr. Guy STOUGHTON,
to whom the credit of the latter work must be given, was the
first bona-fide settler and claim-holder on the village plat,
and erected the first house thereon. Mr. Silas HURD and
Mr. George E. COWAN were the first settlers in the neighborhood.
The first store and tavern were kept in 1840, by a man named
ELLETT. The first school was opened about 1842. The village
contains two flouring-mills, two churches and several small mechanics'
shops. Population, 250.
- [Source: The Portrait & Biographical
Album of Rock County, Wisconsin,
©1889 Acme, Chicago, IL; pp. 1012-1013]