History of the Village of Inmansville

 

Newark Township, Rock County, Wisconsin

INMANSVILLE, a post-office of Rock co. ,Wis.
 
[Source: The New and Complete Gazetteer of the United States by Thomas Baldwin and J. Thomas, M.D., ©1854 Lippincott, Grambo & Co., Philadelphia, PA; p. 523; Courtesy of Kathy Lenerz]

Inmansville, also known as Torkap or Bornitz, was located in Section 26 of Newark
Township in Rock County, Wisconsin. It existed on maps from 1849-1858.
Some sources mistakenly call this village Foster's Ferry, but Foster's Ferry was
located in Section 3 of Newark Township. The same sources mistakenly claim Inmansville to be Torkap and Bornitz, but those were located in Section 33 of Plymouth Township.
Before 1850, the Maanedstidende, a Norwegian magazine of the Luther Valley
Lutheran Church, was published in Inmansville by A. C. PREUS, C. L. CLAUSEN and H. A. STUB. In hopes of reviving the floundering publication, the name was changed to Kirketidende, but this too failed.
On November 15, 1851, the Norwegian Lutheran society met to reform and to
refinance their publication. C. L. CLAUSEN was chosen as editor of the new Emigranten, now more of a general newspaper than a church magazine. CLAUSEN published the Emigranten in Inmansville for a few years, then moved the publication to Madison in Dane County, Wisconsin. After a few more years, it was moved to Minneapolis, MN.
According to a 1929 article by the Janesville Gazette, these Norwegian Lutheran
endeavors at publishing mark the existence of the first print-shop in Rock County.
 
[Source: "County's First Print Shop is in Newark," The Janesville Gazette, Friday, November 29, 1929]
[Source: Lori]

©2007 ALHN-Rock Co., WI

Site Coordinator: Lori Niemuth