History of the Village of Johnstown

Johnstown Township, Rock County, Wisconsin

JOHNSTOWN, P.V., on section 23 of town of same name, 13 miles east from
Janesville, and fifty miles southeast from Madison. It has about 40 dwellings, 2 stores, 2 hotels, 1 Baptist and 1 Congregational church. It has a pleasant and healthy location on Rock Prairie, and in a vicinity of farms of good soil and well cultivated. Much attention has been paid to the raising of sheep, with satisfactory results.
 
[Source: Wisconsin Gazetteer by John Warren Hunt; ©1853 Beriah Brown, Printer, Madison; p. 115; Courtesy of Lori]

JOHNSTOWN, a small post-village of Rock co., Wisconsin, 53 miles S. W. from
Milwaukee, contains 2 churches, a few stores, and 40 dwellings.
 
[Source: The New and Complete Gazetteer of the United States by Thomas Baldwin and J. Thomas, M.D., ©1854 Lippincott, Grambo & Co., Philadelphia, PA; p. 549; Courtesy of Kathy Lenerz]

Old Johnstown, in the town of Johnstown, twelve miles east of Janesville (so called
in contradistinction to Johnstown Center), is a village of about 125 persons. It owes its existence in a great measure to the presence of Messrs. CARTER, FLETCHER, CAMMELL and HILL, who settled on the location of the village about 1839, and built the fist house. It contains a church and some small shops.
 
[Source: The Portrait & Biographical Album of Rock County, Wisconsin, ©1889 Acme, Chicago, IL; p. 1013; Courtesy of Carol]

©2003 ALHN-Rock County, Wisconsin

Site Coordinator: Lori Niemuth