- JANESVILLE, a flourishing town in Janesville
township, and capital of Rock
- county, Wisconsin, is finely situated
on both sides of Rock river, 45 miles S. E. from Madison, and
65 miles W. from Racine, with which it is connected by a plank-road.
It is built principally on a level space about 200 yards in width,
between the river and the bluffs, which rise nearly to the height
of 100 feet. The court house occupies a conspicuous position
on the summit of the bluff. The town contains 6 churches of brick
or stone, 2 banks, an academy, a female seminary, and the state
institution for the blind. The Milwaukee and Mississippi railroad
here intersects the Fond du Lac and Rock River railroad. The
former is completed from Milwaukee to Janesville. Railroads are
also in progress to Racine, Beloit, Madison, Kenosha, and Chicago.
Rock river affords extensive water-power, which is employed in
factories and mills of various kinds. Janesville is the centre
of an active and increasing trade. Four newspapers are published
here. It was settled about 1886, made the county seat in 1839,
and incorporated as a city in 1853. The population (in 1853)
is estimated at 5000.