- JANESVILLE is the county-seat. It contains
3,500 inhabitants, and is rapidly
- growing. Rock river affords ample water-power,
on which is already built several fine mills, and other machinery.
The village occupies both sides of the river; and equals most
towns in the state in activity of business. Mr. LAPHAM
thus describes its admirable location in 1846:
- "It is situated on a
flat, or level, between the river and the foot of the bluffs,
- about one hundred feet high.
The courthouse is erected on the bluff, giving it a very prominent
appearance. Janesvffie is the point at which much of the trade
between the eastern and western portions of the Territory crosses
Rock river, and a bridge is now erected for its accommodation.
The distance from Janesville to Milwaukee is sixty-five miles,
and the same to Racine; giving the citizens a choice of two ports
on Lake Michigan, reached in the same distance; it is 13 miles
from Beloit, 41 from Madison, 31 from Monroe, and about 80 from
- A Railroad Company is chartered, the
stock subscribed and the work
- commenced in good earnest, to run a
line from Fon du lac to this place; thence, southeast through
Walworth county into Illinois, and on to Chicago; which will
be speedily constructed. Good building and limestone is quarried
here in abundance.