History of the Village of Lima Center

(previously known as Child's Station)

 

Lima Township, Rock County, Wisconsin

LIMA, P.O., in town of same name, Rock county, on town 4 N., of range 12 E.
 
[Source: Wisconsin Gazetteer by John Warren Hunt; ©1853 Beriah Brown, Printer, Madison; p. 131; Courtesy of Lori]

Lima Center, in the town of Lima, on the C.M. & St. P. Ry., sixteen miles northeast
of Janesville, is sometimes called CHILD's Station. It was located in 1853, by M. A. CHILDS, who built a house within the present village limits, and, in partnership with L.H. CHILDS, built and opened the first store. He was also the first postmaster. The village comprises two stores, a blacksmith and wagon shops, a cheese factory, two churches and a good school, and has a population of 150.
 
[Source: The Portrait & Biographical Album of Rock County, Wisconsin, ©1889 Acme, Chicago, IL; p. 1014; Courtesy of Carol]

©2003 ALHN-Rock County, Wisconsin

Site Coordinator: Lori Niemuth