History of the Village of Shopiere

Turtle Township, Rock County, Wisconsin

SHOPIERE, P.V., in county of Rock, town of Turtle, being on section 3, town 1
N., of range 13 E. It is 9 miles southeast from Janesville, and 54 from Madison, on the Turtle Creek, which gives a water power here of 9 feet head and fall, and is a very reliable stream supply of water. The flouring mill is of stone, 4 stories high, running three pairs of burrs, and is completely finished throughout. From the north side of the Turtle stretches Rock Prairie; on the south side commands a timbered tract, extending some 7 miles. Abundance of excellent lime stone for building purposes is found in the vicinity, which suggested the name - a corruption of the French Chaux (Sho) Pierre. Turtleville flouring mill is one mile below, on the same stream. Population 200, with 38 dwellings, 3 stores, 1 hotel, 2 mills, 1 plough manufactory, 1 Congregational church.
 
[Source: Wisconsin Gazetteer by John Warren Hunt; ©1853 Beriah Brown, Printer, Madison; p. 206; Courtesy of Lori]

SHOPIERE, a post-village in Turtle township, Rock co., Wisconsin, 60 miles S. W.
by W. from Milwaukee. It contains 3 stores, 1 hotel, 2 mills, and a plough manufactory. Population, 200.
 
[Source: The New and Complete Gazetteer of the United States by Thomas Baldwin and J. Thomas, M.D., ©1854 Lippincott, Grambo & Co., Philadelphia, PA; p. 1074; Courtesy of Kathy Lenerz]

Shopiere, in the town of Turtle, on Turtle Creek, and on the Chicago &
Northwestern Railroad, eleven miles south of Janesville, was first made the abiding place of a white man in 1839, by Caleb E. CULVER. Mr. HOPKINS came in 1840, Mr. BLACKSTONE and Mr. BLODGETT, two or three years later. The first log house was erected by Mr. CULVER, the first farm house by Jared RANDALL, in 1841, and the first stone house by Mr. CULVER, in 1842. Mr. BLACKSTONE opened the first store. The first birth was that of Charles CULVER, shortly after the arrival of his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Caleb E. CULVER. The post-office was established in 1850, with S. P. HARVEY as Postmaster. The flouring-mill was built in 1848-49 by HARVEY, RANDALL & DEXTADER [DOCKSTADER?]. George SEARS acquired a half-interest in it in 1866, and became sole proprietor in 1873. The Turtle Cheese Factory was established in 1873, by F. N. PARKER. The school house was built in 1856. Besides the flouring-mill, Shopiere contains a wagon factory and two churches. Population, 300.
 
[Source: The Portrait & Biographical Album of Rock County, Wisconsin, ©1889 Acme, Chicago, IL; pp. 1022-1023]

©2003 ALHN-Rock County, Wisconsin

Site Coordinator: Lori Niemuth