- ROCK, County, is bounded
on the north by Dane and Jefferson, on the east
- by Walworth, on the south by the
State of Illinois, and on the west by Green. The county seat
is at Janesville, on Rock river. It was set off from Milwaukee,
Dec. 7, 1836, and fully organized Feb. 19, 1839.
- The county is about equally divided
between prairie and oak openings, with
- no large bodies of heavy timber.
It is situated on both sides of Rock river, the valley of which
is as rich soil as can be found in any part of the country. The
prairies are some of them quite large, but beautifully undulating,
and productive in the highest degree, and are being settled and
cultivated to the very center. The different varieties of soil
- upland, bottom land, prairie and openings, afford facilities
for cultivating all the productions of the climate to the greatest
advantage - wheat upon the rolling prairies and openings - the
coarser grains upon the bottom lands - and tame and wild grasses
upon the low prairies and marshes, flourish best, though each
class of soil is adapted more or less to all these products.
It is watered by Rock river and its branches. The principle villages
are Janesville, Beloit, Fulton, and Milton.
- The county is in connection with
the first judicial district, the second
- congressional district, and is entitled
to the following representation:
17th Senate district, consists of
the towns of Rock, Fulton, Porter, Centre [Center], Plymouth,
Newark, Avon, Spring Valley, Magnolia and Union.
18th Senate district, consists of
the towns of Beloit, Turtle, Clinton, Bradford, La Prairie, Harmony,
Johnstown, Lima and Milton.
1st Assembly district, Beloit, Turtle
2d Assembly district, Milton, Harmony,
Lima, Johnstown, Bradford and La Prairie.
3d Assembly district, Janesville,
Rock, Centre [Center] and Fulton.
4th Assembly district, Porter, Union,
Magnolia, Spring Valley, Plymouth, Newark and Avon.
- It's population in 1840 was 1,701;
1842, 2,867; 1846, 12,405; 1847, 14,720;
- 1850, 30,717. Square miles, 720.
It has 3,631 dwellings, 1,975 farms, and 126 manufactories. County
officers for 1853 and 1854:
- Judge, James Armstrong
- Clerk of Court, George W. Crabb
- Sheriff, William H. Howard
- District Attorney, Wm. S. Rockwell
- Clerk of Board of Supervisors, C.
- Register, Samuel A. Martin
- Treasurer, Robert F. Frazer
- Coroner, Calvin Chapin