Historical Markers - Rock Co., WI

Wisconsin's First Aviator

Wisconsin Official Marker

Located at Morgan Elementary School at the intersection of Milwaukee Road and Lee Lane in Beloit

 
Courtesy of Kurt Wheeler, Rock County Planning & Development Agency
 
    Wisconsin's First Aviator
    The nation's first commercial built "aeroplane" was assembled and flown
    here November 4, 1909, by Arthur P. Warner, Wisconsin's first pilot. Self-taught, Warner was the 11th American to pilot a powered aircraft and first in the U.S. to buy an aircraft for business use.
    Built by Glenn H. Curtiss, the biplane was "sister" to the aircraft in which
    Curtiss won the Bennett trophy race in Rheims, France, August 29, 1909. Inventor and manufacturer, Warner used the aircraft in research and to publicize his automotive products. He developed the automobile speedometer, automotive and machine too accessories, and built the first electric power plant in Beloit. For his contributions to the aviation and automotive industries, Warner was posthumously elected to the Wisconsin Industrial Hall of Fame in 1962.
     
    Erected in 1964
 

 

©2006 ALHN-Rock Co., Wisconsin

Site Coordinator: Lori Niemuth