Historical Markers - Rock Co., WI

Milton House

Wisconsin Official Marker

Located in front of the Milton House Museum, 18 S. Janesville St. (Hwy. 26), Milton, Milton Township

 
Courtesy of Kurt Wheeler, Rock County Planning & Development Agency
 
    Milton House
    Erected in 1844 by Joseph Goodrich, this frontier inn is constructed of
    grout - a mixture of gravel, lime, and water. An important stagecoach stop and transfer point, it was also a pre-Civil War station in the underground railroad, and is still connected by a secret escape tunnel to the old log cabin. In 1949 the Goodrich family donated the inn to the Milton Historical Society for a museum.
     
    Erected in 1961
 

 

©2006 ALHN-Rock Co., Wisconsin

Site Coordinator: Lori Niemuth