Historical Markers - Rock Co., WI

Village of Cooksville

Wisconsin Official Marker

Located north of Hwy. 59 on Church Street at the

 

Cooksville Community Center in Cooksville, Porter Township

 
Courtesy of Kurt Wheeler, Rock County Planning & Development Agency
 
    Village of Cooksville
    Cooksville consists of two villages: Cooksville platted in 1842 and
    Waucoma platted in 1846. John and Daniel Cook settled here in 1840, establishing Cooksville on the Badfish Creek, where a sawmill was soon constructed. Dr. John Porter of Massachusetts laid out Waucoma east of Cooksville. The two villages were settled by people from New England, New York, the British Isles, and, later, Norway. But the little village, known as Cooksville because of the post office's location, was by-passed by railroads in the 1860s, becoming "the town that time forgot."
     
    Erected in 1996
 

 

©2006 ALHN-Rock Co., Wisconsin

Site Coordinator: Lori Niemuth