- Below is a list of the physicians
who were practicing in Rock county in 1856
- and their locations, and following
that is a list of those now practicing in Rock county - fifty
- In Janesville in 1856 were Doctors
W. AMER, L.J. BARROWS, D. C.
- BENNETT, M L. BURNHAM, G. W CHITTENDEN,
A. P CORYELL, J. GRAFTON, A. S. JONES, J. S. LANE, Erastus LEWIS,
Stephen MARTIN, John MITCHELL, John PAINE, C. G. PEASE, O. P.
ROBINSON, T. E. ST. JOHN and R. B. TREAT.
- In Beloit were Doctors A. J. BENNET,
G. W. BICKNELL, George H.
- CAREY, A. CLARK, E. N. CLARK, J.
W. EVANS, Jesse GAGE, L. MERRIMAN, Jesse MOORE, RICHARDS, H.
SMITH, H. P. STRONG, S. SPENCER, E. J. TAGGERT, J. M. TILLEPAUGH
and A. TEALE.
- In Johnstown were Doctors Daniel
C. BABCOCK, Louis C. BICKNELL,
- Daniel M. BOND and John B. FLEMING.
- In Evansville were Doctors J. M.
EVANS and W. M. QUINCY.
In Cooksville was Dr. W. W. BLACKMAN.
In Shopiere was Dr. BELDING.
In Magnolia was Dr. Charles WILSON.
In Union was Dr. Thomas ARMSTRONG.
In Footville was Dr. BUTLER.
In Center Township was Dr. Sylvanus FISHER.
In Clinton Township was Dr. John TINKER.
In Janesville Township was Dr. John STACY.
In Spring Valley Township were Doctors S. W. ABBOTT (assemblyman)
- and Jeremiah WILCOX.
- This makes a total of fifty-two
known physicians living in Rock county half a
- century ago, all of whom have "Gone
before to that unknown and silent shore." -- Lamb.
- At the close of 1906 the following
physicians were practicing in Rock county.
- In Janesville are Doctors Edith
BARTLETT, Samuel B. BUCKMASTER,
- A. Lovelle BURDICK, George G. CHITTENDEN,
Michael A. CUNNINGHAM, Edward H. DUDLEY, Corydon G. DWIGHT, Ransom
W. EDDEN, Frank B. FARNSWORTH, George W. FIFIELD, George H. FOX,
James BIGSON, William H. JUDD, Egbert E. LOOMIS, Walter D. MERRITT,
James MILLS, Thomas H. McCARTHY, Clara NORMINGTON, William H.
PALMER, John F. PEMBER, Robert A. SCHLERNITZAUER, James W. ST.
JOHN, Quincy O, Charles H. and Frederick E. SUTHERLAND, James
P. THORNE, Guy C. WAUFLE, George H. WEBSTER and Edmund F. WOODS.
- In Beloit are Doctors William J.
ALLEN, Jesse P. ALLEN, Mary E.
- BARTLETT, Samuel BELL, L. F. BENNETT,
E. B. BROWN, May, 1907; Isaac BUCKERIDGE, Austin F. BURDICK,
D. R. CONNELL, W. W. CROCKETT, H. O. DELANCEY, L. R. FARR, P.
A. FOX, Ernest C. HELM, Arthur C. HELM, W. C. LOAR, W. F. McCABE
(since retired), W. A. MELLEN, F. T. NYE, W. F. PECHUMAN, H.
O. ROCKWELL, Anthony T. SCHMIDT, C. E. SMITH, M. G. SPAWN, Russell
J. C. STORNG, F. A. THAYER, Effie M. VAN DERLINDER.
- In Clinton are Doctors J. B. CRANDALL,
De Witt C. GRISWOLD, John
- JONES, Ulysses G. LATTA, Mary MONTGOMERY,
Julia Mc ILJOHN, Albert S. PARKER, William O., Thomas and O.P.
- In Edgerton are Doctors Herbert
H. BISSELL, Bernard S. CLEARY, Harry
- A. KEENAN, Willard M. McCHESNEY
and W. W. MORRISON.
- In Evansville are Doctors Fred E.
COLONY, John M. EVANS, Mary L.
- EWING, G. NEWMAN, Josie OCASEK,
Charles M. SMITH, Sr., Charles M. SMITH, Jr., and George F. SPENCER.
- In Emerald Grove is dr. Edward A.
In Footville is Dr. Seth W. LACY.
In Johnstown are Doctors William M. ROCKWELL and Mary L. ROCKWELL.
In Lima are Doctors R. H. STETSON and Mary H. STETSON.
In Milton are Doctors F. C. BINNEWEIS, Justin H. BURDICK and
Ella J. CRANDALL.
In Milton Junction are Doctors George E. COOK, Edward H. HULL,
G. D. KELLY and Albert S. MAXSON.
In Shopiere is Doctor A. B. MANLEY (ninety-two in all).