- [Reports of Local Societies]
- REPORT OF THE JANESVILLE HISTORICAL
- Our society is twenty-one years of
age, being organized in 1866. The changes in
- membership are but few. At our annual
meeting held October 27, 1887, the following officers were elected:
- President - Geo. KELLOGG.
- Vice President - James HELMS.
- Secretary - E. B. HEIMSTREET.
- Treasurer - J. B. WHITING.
- Geo. J. KELLOGG, E. B. HEIMSTREET
and James HELMS were appointed
- delegates to the meeting of the State
Horticultural Society to be held February, 1887.
- The June meeting was a decided success.
There were fifty-three members of the
- State Society present. The best show
of fruit ever exhibited before, and by the society. The fifty
varieties of seedling strawberries by F. S. LOUDON, the
wonderful show of Jessie on the tables; the visit to the grounds
of Mr. LOUDON, the entertainment there; the excellent
papers, good attendance and everything passed off pleasantly.
There was also a commendable show of vegetables and long-keeping
- The list of members added to the meeting
was, Geo. J. KELLOGG, H. S.
F. S. LOUDON, Edith KELLOGG, of Janesville, life
membership : J. M. BOSTWICK, Cyrus MINER, Geo.
HAUTHORN [HANTHORN], W. G. WHEELOCK, J.
A. FATHERS, Walter HELMS, S. S. MILLER,
H. TARRENT [TARRANT]; J. G. WILLIAMS, John
F. SPON [SPOHN], Mrs. S. A. PLUMMER,
of Janesville. Annual membership: J. W. HANCHE, Racine;
C. K. SUTHERLAND, Waukau; C. C. FISHER, Center;
John CROW, Center; E. E. RINOS, Sparta; F. M. TOWNE,
1331 Dunning street, Chicago, Ill.; J. B. SMITH, Clinton;
O. P. FREEBORN, Milton, annual membership.
- Amount received at meeting
- Amount paid out for premious
- The premiums offered amounted to one
hundred and fourteen dollars ($114.00) of
- which there was awarded ninety-eight
- I also enclose a list of premious offered.
- Our member is now, life members, 28;
honorary members, 13. Total membership,
- E. B. HEIMSTREET,
- [Source: Transactions of the
Wisconsin State Horticultural Society, Vol. XVII edited by
H. C. Adams, ©1887 Democrat Printing Co., Madison, WI; pp.