Rock County, Wisconsin

History of Bradford Township

Site Coordinator: Lori Niemuth

From: Wisconsin Gazetteer

by John Warren Hunt

©1853 Beriah Brown, Printer, Madison

p. 54

Courtesy of Lori

BRADFORD, Town, in county of Rock, being township No. 2 N., of range 14
E., located 12 miles east of Janesville, the county seat. The population in 1850 was 703. It has 8 school districts.

From: A New Complete Gazetteer of the United States

by Thomas Baldwin and J. Thomas, M.D.

©1854 Lippincott, Grambo & Co. , Philadelphia

p. 134

Courtesy of Kathy Lenerz

BRADFORD, a township in the E. part of Rock county, Wisconsin, about 12 miles
E. S. E. from Janesville. Population, 703.

From: Combination Atlas Map of Rock County, Wisconsin

©1873 Everts, Baskin & Stewart, Chicago, Ill.

p. 13

Courtesy of Lori

The first settlement was made in this town in 1836, by Erastus DEAN. Among
other early settlers we name Andrew, McCULLAGH, William C. CHASE, James WINNEGAR, Joseph MAXON, William B. ALDRICH, C. DYKEMAN, William WYMAN, L. S. BLACKMAN, and A. BLACKMAN. This town, in the point of production, is surpassed by few, if any, in the county. The greater part of it is prairie, yet the Turtle, a creek passing through the southern part of the town, is skirted by fine burr and white-oak openings; there is also a small grove on the west line of the township, and Emerald Grove, one of the most beautiful groves in the county; the township is well watered. The farms are all under a good state of cultivation. The improvements are first class; evidence of which may be seen by reference to lithographic cuts of many of them in the inclosed atlas. Emerald Grove Village is a thriving little place, with post-office, store, etc. Population 1,006.

From: The Portrait and Biographical Album of Rock County, Wisconsin

©1889

p. 1011

Courtesy of Carol

Bradford is situated in the southeast part of the county on its eastern boundary line.
It was organized for municipal purposes under an act of Legislature, approved Feb. 2, 1846. Previously the south half of the present town was included in Clinton and the north half in Janesville. Erastus DEAN was the first settler, in 1836. Other early comers were Andrew McCULLAGH, William C. CHASE, James WINNEGAR, Joseph MAXON, William B. ALDRICH, C. DYKEMAN, William WYMAN, S. S. BLOCKMAN [L. S. BLACKMAN] and Alva BLOCKMAN [BLACKMAN]. There are two postoffices in this town, Emerald Grove and Fairfield. Emerald Grove, in the town of Bradford, eight miles east of Janesville, contained in 1856 a postoffice, a tavern, a church, a blacksmith shop, a store, a grocery, a school-house and fifteen dwellings. Since that date it has grown considerably in extent and population. It contains a steam feed mill, the property of Alexander McGREGOR, a general store, a hotel, a Congregational church and a Methodist church and a population of about one hundred.

©2002-2004 ALHN-Rock Co., WI

Site Coordinator: Lori Niemuth