- Center, in the northwestern part of
the county, was organized by a legislative
- enactment approved Feb. 17, 1842, and
then included the present town of Center and portions of Plymouth,
Spring Valley, Magnolia, and Janesville west of the river. Magnolia
was set off Feb. 2, 1846, and other towns were formed, wholly
or in part, from its territory at later dates. Its present limits
are those of township 3 north, of range 11 east. Andrew STEVENS,
the first settler, located at Black-Oak Grove in October, 1843.
His nearest neighbor was five miles away, the next nearest ten.
Other early settlers were David and Philander DAVIS, William
WEBB, William WARREN and Elijah WOOD. The
first election was held at the house of James V. KNOWLTON.