Rock County, Wisconsin

History of Clinton Township

Site Coordinator: Lori Niemuth

From: Wisconsin Gazetteer

by John Warren Hunt

©1853 Beriah Brown, Printer, Madison

p. 66

Courtesy of Lori

CLINTON, Town, in county of Rock, being town 1 N., of range 14 E.,
centrally located, 14 miles southeast from Janesville. The population in 1850 was 1,176. It has 9 school districts.

From: A New Complete Gazetteer of the United States

by Thomas Baldwin and J. Thomas, M.D.

©1854 Lippincott, Grambo & Co. , Philadelphia

p. 254

Courtesy of Kathy Lenerz

CLINTON, a post-township forming the S. E. extremity of Rock county,
Wisconsin. Population, 1168.

From: Combination Atlas Map of Rock County, Wisconsin

©1873 Everts, Baskin & Stewart, Chicago, Ill.

p. 9

Courtesy of Lori

This township, located in the southeast corner of the county, is one of the finest
farming sections in the county, a large proportion of it being prairie land of great fertility. There is an abundance of timber in the southern portion of the town for fuel, fencing and building requirements. The town is also well watered by living streams. The first settlements were made in 1837, by Dr. MILLS, M. S. WARNER, Charles TUTTLE, William S. MURRAY, S. E. DOWNER, D. TASKER, H. L. WARNER, and several others the same year, whom we have not space to mention. The town is crossed by two principle lines of railroad, viz., the Chicago and Northwestern, and the Western Union. Clinton Junction is located at the crossing of these roads, and furnishes a convenient and reliable market to the farmers for all their products. The population of the town, census of 1870, was 1,943. The farmers are generally in a prosperous condition and have good improvements. Fruit growing receives a great share of attention by many of the leading farmers. The orchard and nursery of Dr. TINKER is one of the finest in the country.

From: The Portrait and Biographical Album of Rock County, Wisconsin

©1889

pp. 1011-1012

Courtesy of Carol

The act of Territorial Legislature organizing Clinton was approved Feb. 17, 1842.
The town as organized embraced the Clinton of today, and the south half of Bradford and portions of Turtle and La Prairie. Five sections in the present town of Turtle were annexed to it in 1843. At this time the town comprises township 1 north, of range 14 east. Doctor Dennis MILLS, Milton S. WARNER, Charles TUTTLE and Williams S. MURRAY were the first explorers of the town, before the land was in market. Selections of land were made and taken possession of in the name of the Jefferson Prairie Company, and it was on the west side of this prairie that the first settlements were made in April, 1837. A little later Daniel TASKER and wife and Stephen E. DOWNER and wife located on the southeast side of the prairie. Subsequent early settlers were Oscar H. PRATT, Frank MITCHELL, Stacy L. PRATT and father and sisters, Reuben P. and Si WILLARD, Ezekiel and Humphrey BROWNELL, Martin MOORE and Henry WHEELER and their families, H. S. WARNER, Albert and Henry TUTTLE, Griswold WEAVER and others. The first town meeting was held at Charles TUTTLE's house, April 5, 1842. Clinton, an incorporated village in the southeastern part of the county, on the R. & S. W. division of the C., M. & St. P. Railway, at the crossing of the Wisconsin's division of the Chicago & Northwestern Railway, seventy-four miles southwest of Milwaukee and fourteen miles southeast of Janesville, is in the northwest part of the town of Clinton. Early settlers there were Deacon Chauncey TUTTLE, Dr. Dennis MILLS, Milton S. WARNER, Charles TUTTLE, William S. MURRAY, Stephen E. DOWNER and Daniel TASKER. The first wedding was that of Ezekiel BROWNELL and Adelina PRATT, by Joseph S. PIERCE, J. P. The first religious meeting was held at the house of Charles TUTTLE, by Elder F. TAPPING, in 1838. The first birth was that of a daughter of Mrs. S. E. DOWNER, in 1838. The first school was kept at Willis' Corner, in 1843, by Miss Eliza BAKER. The post-office was established in 1843, and Stephen PERLEY was the first postmaster. The name of the office was changed to "Ogden" in 1857, and was again made Clinton in 1864. The village now contains a ban; two hotels, an opera-house, three grain elevators, a feed-mill, a baggage-truck factory, a graded public school, Baptist, Congregational, Methodist Episcopal and German Lutheran churches, a library and a number of good stores. A weekly newspaper, the Clinton Herald, is published here. Population 1000.

©2002-2004 ALHN-Rock Co., WI

Site Coordinator: Lori Niemuth