Rock County, Wisconsin

History of Harmony Township

Site Coordinator: Lori Niemuth

From: Wisconsin Gazetteer

by John Warren Hunt

©1853 Beriah Brown, Printer, Madison

p. 104

Courtesy of Lori

HARMONY, Town, in county of Rock, being town 3 N., of range 13 E.;
centrally located, 5 miles southeast from Janesville. The population in 1850 was 840. It has 5 school districts.

From: A New Complete Gazetteer of the United States

by Thomas Baldwin and J. Thomas, M.D.

©1854 Lippincott, Grambo & Co. , Philadelphia

p. 469

Courtesy of Kathy Lenerz

HARMONY, a township in the central part of Rock county, Wisconsin. Population, 840.

From: Combination Atlas Map of Rock County, Wisconsin

©1873 Everts, Baskin & Stewart, Chicago, Ill.

p. 31

Courtesy of Lori

This town was first settled in 1836, by the Messrs. SPAULDING, Joseph and
William, G. H. WILLISTON, John TURNER, Harvey HOLMES, and Ansel DICKINSON. The north part of this town is quite heavily timbered, furnishing an ample supply of wood for fuel and fencing, no only for the citizens of this but many of the adjoining towns. The south half of the town is prairie, and on it may be found some of the finest farms in Rock County; the only objection being a scarcity of water, there being no streams. Mount Zion, in the eastern portion of the town, is a beautiful elevation of prairie, commanding a view of the country for many miles around. No spot in the State probably presents a more enchanting view to the stranger than does this. To the west, south, and east a broad expanse of prairie lies spread to the eye of the beholder, that for expanse and beauty is surpassed nowhere. The farm improvements of this township are first class. The reader is referred to lithographic cuts of many in the inclosed map.

From: The Portrait and Biographical Album of Rock County, Wisconsin

©1889

p. 1013

Courtesy of Carol

Harmony was organized from Janesville March 11, 1848, and comprised the north
half of township 2, and all the township 3 north of range 13 east. Later the north half of township 2 was detached, and became a part of La Prairie. The first town meeting was held at Mt. Zion school-house, April 4, 1848. Daniel A. RICHARDSON was the first settler, in 1837. Charles and Alexander HART came soon after. Other early settlers were Arvah CALL, Jeremiah WARNER, Ansel DICKSON, William and Joseph SPAULDING, Phineas ARMES, John N. DEAN and John TURNER.

©2002-2004 ALHN-Rock Co., WI

Site Coordinator: Lori Niemuth