- Johnstown, on the eastern border of
the county, was organized by an act of
- Legislature, approved March 21, 1843.
The first settlement was made by Norman SMITH on the site
of Johnstown Center, in 1837. The second settler was Caleb B.
HILL. Daniel McKILLIP (who built the first frame
house), Elisha NEWHALL and his sons, Wright and Elbridge
G. NEWHALL, Noah NEWELL, John A. FLETCHER,
Daniel PHELPS, William VIRGIN, John A. PICKETT
and John PUTNAM were among other early settlers. Among
those who were enterprising farmers there thirty-five years ago
were William GALBRAITH, John McGRATH and brothers,
Robert BURLASS, John and William ZUILL, John and
Davis McLAY, and John WYNN.
- Old Johnstown, in the town of Johnstown,
twelve miles east of Janesville (so called
- in contradistinction to Johnstown Center),
is a village of about 125 persons. It owes its existence in a
great measure to the presence of Messrs. CARTER, FLETCHER,
CAMMELL and HILL, who settled on the location of
the village about 1839, and built the fist house. It contains
a church and some small shops.
- Johnstown Center, in the town of Johnstown,
ten miles east of Janesville, was
- located in 1837, by Norman SMITH.
The first minister there was Elder MILLS and the church-house
there was built in 1847. The village contains a blacksmith shop,
a shoe-shop, a wagon shop, a general store and marble works.
- Janes' Settlement, near Johnstown,
in the town of Johnstown, derives its
- names from the settlement there, in
1842, of the JANES family. It at present consists of the
residences of about a dozen families and a church, erected in
1861, by the Free Will Baptists, at a cost of about $2,000.