- February 17, 1842, township 3 and the
north half of township 2 north, of ranges
- 13 and 14 east, and all of that part
of township 3 and 4 north, of range 12 lying east, lying east
of Rock River, were organized into a town by the name of Janesville.
On March 21, 1843, that part comprised in township 3 north, of
range 14 east and township 4 north, of range 12 east, was organized
into a town by itself. On the 10th of April of the last mentioned
year part of township 3 north, of range 13 east, was annexed
to Janesville. In 1850, the east half, which was township 3 north,
of range 12 east, was organized into a separate town; and thus
the town of Janesville was made to include township 3 north,
of range 12 east. Among the prominent farmers of the town thirty
to forty years ago were Z. P. BURDICK; Charles TERWILLIGER,
Thomas WELCH, E. STRUNK, Gideon CHAPIN,
E. W. BARKER, H. P. CULVER, Henry SEARCH,
James CARL, Robert SHAW, David JEFFRIS,
H. H. SIMONDS, John B. CARL, George JOHNSTON,
John HOLMES, William BRACE and William R. HALL.
As the first settlement in this town was identical with that
of the village and city of Janesville, and account of it is reserved
for a place in the history of the latter. The first supervisors
were W. H. H. BAILEY (chairman), George E. COWEN
and Jesse E. CORLESS.