- Turtle is situated on the southern
boundary of the county. It was organized by an act
- of the Legislature, approved Feb. 2,
1846, and included in its limits township 1 and the south half
of township 2 north, of range 13 east. Subsequently the last
half township was set off to La Prairie. Among the first settlers
were D. B. EGBERY, D. BENNETT, R. DOLL,
Chauncey TUTTLE, John LEWIS, A. LEWIS, S.
G. CALLEY, and John HOPKINS. Others, who came from
1836 to 1856, were the following: Dr. D. M. PELTON, J.
H. POOLE, Albert PORTER, W. PICKETT, C.
PROVOST, Chauncy ROSS, J. F. ROSS, E. C.
REIGART, L. E. ROSS, F. L. ROSS, J. H. REIGART,
S. D. ROSS, William H. STARK, SWINGLE, S.
H. SLAYMAKER, Alexander THOM, H. L. SHOEMAKER,
W. S. THOM, C. M. TREAT, S. W. HART, B.
F. MURRAY, S. MURRAY, G. M. MURRAY, H. H.
McLENEGAN, H. J. MURRAY, Joel MINER, C.
P. MURRAY, S. A. MURRAY, N. McLAUGHLIN,
Philo PORTER, Benjamin PARK, George W. PORTER,
R. J. BURDETTE, William BRAND, Adam BELL,
Thomas CROSBY, Mrs. A. E. COE, E. J. CARPENTER,
C. T. CURTIS, G. H. CROSBY, G. H. CULVER,
E. J. DOLE, D. D. EGERY, J. M. EVERETT,
O. C. GATES, J. B. GORDON, William GATES,
J. B. GORDON, William GATES, Erastus GILES,
Edward GILES, Russell HARVEY, F. A. HUMPHREY,
and Thomas HOLMES. The first town meeting was held April
- Shopiere, in the town of Turtle, on
Turtle Creek, and on the Chicago &
- Northwestern Railroad, eleven miles
south of Janesville, was first made the abiding place of a white
man in 1839, by Caleb E. CULVER. Mr. HOPKINS came
in 1840, Mr. BLACKSTONE and Mr. BLODGETT, two or
three years later. The first log house was erected by Mr. CULVER,
the first farm house by Jared RANDALL, in 1841, and the
first stone house by Mr. CULVER, in 1842. Mr. BLACKSTONE
opened the first store. The first birth was that of Charles CULVER,
shortly after the arrival of his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Caleb
E. CULVER. The post-office was established in 1850, with
S. P. HARVEY as Postmaster. The flouring-mill was built
in 1848-49 by HARVEY, RANDALL & DEXTADER
[DOCKSTADER?]. George SEARS acquired a half-interest
in it in 1866, and became sole proprietor in 1873. The Turtle
Cheese Factory was established in 1873, by F. N. PARKER.
The school house was built in 1856. Besides the flouring-mill,
Shopiere contains a wagon factory and two churches. Population,
- [Transcriber's Note - the surname SWINGLE
in the middle of the first paragraph did not have a first name