NEGenWeb Project
Resource Center
On-Line Library


Charles Kuta had one sister, Mary Koudla, and four brothers: Frank, married to Vera Kush; John; Andrew, married to Agnes Juctor; and Joe, who is deceased.

Charles Kuta has lived in Platte Center, Monroe and Columbus. He attended St. Joseph's School in Platte Center, and is engaged in farming and stockraising.

On February 7, 1923, he was married to Antonia Murray, daughter of Patrick and Fredericka Schultz Murray, at St. Bonaventure's Church in Columbus. Mr. Murray, a pioneer farmer, was born in Ireland in July, 1826, and died in Columbus in July, 1906. Fredericka Schultz Murray was born in Madison, Wisconsin, March 1, 1873. Antonia Murray Kuta has three brothers and four sisters: John, married to Sophia Podraza; Mike, married to Genevieve Backes; Patrick, Jr., married to Frances Schefcik; Mary, Mrs. John Podraza; Anna, deceased; Lena, Mrs. Joe Kula; and Reka, a nun.

Charles and Antonia Murray Kuta had seven children: Irene, Mrs. Bernard Staub; Evelyn, Mrs. Dick Bazer; and Charles, Virginia, Louis, Betty Mae, and Alice Ann. All were born in Columbus and attended School District 3 and St. Bonaventure's School.

Mr. Kuta is a member of the American Legion. In World War I he served with Base Hospital 81 at Fort Riley, Kelly Field, and in New Jersey. The Kuta family are members of St. Bonaventure's Catholic Church.


John B. Kyle was born in Budinadden, County Sligo, Ireland, in 1851. In 1871, he immigrated to the United States with his wife. They established their home in Omaha.

Shortly after their arrival, Mr. Kyle was employed by the Union Pacific Railroad and was sent by Mr. Lane, the Superintendent at Omaha, to Columbus to drive piles, because the ice and floods were hard on the Railroad bridge which crossed the river two and one-half miles southeast of Oconee. About 1881, Columbus offered the railroad company a twenty-five thousand dollar bonus provided they would make Columbus instead of Duncan the terminal. The railroad accepted the offer and the bridge over the Loup was no longer needed.

In 1874, John Kyle purchased a homestead from Edward Sheehan. When he left the railroad work in 1881, he became engaged in farming and stock raising. He purchased land from Mr. Joesell, northwest of Duncan, around 1883, and lived there until 1911, when he retired from active farming and moved into Columbus. Through the years, Mr. Kyle had acquired large land holdings in Platte County.

Mr. and Mrs. John Kyle had one daughter, Marie, who attended the St. Francis Academy in Columbus and a boarding school in Minneapolis, and the University of Nebraska. Mrs. Kyle died on December 12, 1901. John B. Kyle died November 2, 1932.

Marie Kyle lives in Columbus. She has made several trips abroad, and has traveled extensively throughout the United States. She is interested in the Catholic welfare work and has given both time and money towards its furtherance. She is a member of the Franciscan Missionary Union and of St. Bonaventure's Church in Columbus.


Franz Lachnit was born in Austria in September, 1835, and died at his home in Columbus, February 28, 1910. He lived in Austria until 1875, when he immigrated to the United States and settled in Butler County, Nebraska, where he farmed for two years. In 1877, he moved to St. Bernard, in Platte County. He lived there and farmed for twenty-four years. In 1901, he moved to Columbus.

There were seven sons and five daughters in the Franz Lachnit family. They were: Joseph, Fred, Frank, John, Louis, Henry Anton, Mrs. Louis Schroeder, Mary Lachnit, Mrs. Joseph Cleve, Mrs. Peter J. Schmitz, and Mrs. Peter J. Korth. All lived in Platte County, except John and Frank. John lived near Cedar Rapids, Nebraska, and Frank in South Dakota;

Louis Lachnit was the Platte County Deputy Registrar of Deeds, and also held the office of Registrar of Deeds for several years. Henry Lachnit was a Platte County Sheriff. Louis, Henry Anton, Mrs. Louis Schroeder, and Mary Lachnit lived in Columbus. Joseph, Fred, and Mrs. Joseph Cleve lived at Humphrey, Mrs. Peter J. Schmitz lived at Lindsay, and Mrs. Peter J. Korth at Cornlea.

Both Mr. and Mrs. Lachnit died in February, 1910.


Terence David "Terry" Lachnit, veteran of World War II, was born at Platte Center, Nebraska, October 5, 1920. When a small boy, he moved to Columbus with his parents, Leo and Eileen Carrig Lachnit. He is a grandson of Joseph Lachnit, of Humphrey, and a great-grandson of Franz Lachnit, a Platte County pioneer. Both are deceased.

Terence attended the St. Bonaventure School and was graduated from St. Bonaventure's High School.

In World War II, Terence Lachnit served with the United States Army in the European Theatre of Operations for four years and ten months. He is a veteran of battles in Africa, Italy, France, and Germany. After his discharge, in 1945, he became manager of a cafe south of Columbus. In 1948, he became interested in the freighting and construction business.

On March 4, 1946, Terence Lachnit was married to Miss Deloras Langan, daughter of Edward and Minnie Kamm Langan, at Columbus.

Mr. Lachnit is a member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars and of the American Legion. Mr. and Mrs. Lachnit are members of St. Bonaventure's Catholic Church.

The History of Platte County Nebraska


Moritz Ladenburger was born in Germany and settled in Saunders County, Nebraska, where he was a farmer and stock raiser.

He was twice married. His first wife was Caroline Krause, to whom he was married in the 1880's. They had four sons and three daughters. The sons were Valentine, Otto, Arthur, and Joseph. Valentine and Joseph are deceased. The daughters were: Mary, Mrs. H. F. Malloy, of Cedar Bluffs; Emma, Mrs. Edward Branigan, of Columbus; and Elizabeth, a teacher, who is deceased. The sons were all prominent farmers and stockmen in Saunders County.

Caroline Krause Ladenburger died in the early 1890's, and Moritz Ladenburger was later married to Anna Uhl. They had three daughters, Anne, Rose, and Catherine, all of whom were graduated from the St. Francis Academy in Columbus. Mr. and Mrs. Ladenburger and their family had moved to Columbus in the early 1900's.

Moritz Ladenburger died in Columbus and Anna Uhl Ladenburger died in Los Angeles, California, in 1938.

Rose Ladenburg was employed in Los Angeles as a private secretary to the president of the Southern California Associated Newspapers. Catherine, Sister Mary Georgiene, is a member of the Dominican Order of Sisters of St. Catherine's Kentucky. In 1949-1950, Venerable Sister Georgiene was the head of the music department of the Dominican Convent, in Jeffersonville, Indiana,


Peter William Lakers, manager of the J. C. Penney Department Store in Columbus, was born at Harlan, Iowa, February 23, 1897. He is the son of Henry and Anna Herbst Lakers. Henry Lakers, born August 19, 1868, at St. Louis, lived most of his life as a farmer in Iowa. He died November 11, 1914, at Earling. Anna Lakers, a native of Germany, was born March 16, 1876. Peter Lakers was educated at St. Joseph's Parochial School, Earling, Iowa, and the Boyles Business College in Omaha.


Peter William Lakers

In World War I, he was a member of the crew of the U. S. S. Arkansas, and from July, 1918, to December, 1918, he served with the British fleet.

On May 31, 1927, Mr. Lakers was married to Miss Frances A. Miller at David City, Nebraska. Mrs: Lakers is the daughter of August and Eleanor Considine Miller.

Peter William and Frances Miller Lakers had five children: Paul J., born April 20, 1928; Eleanor Ann, born July 23, 1929; Donald Henry, born November 2, 1930; Robert E., born June 26, 1932; and Thomas J., born August 20, 1936. All attended St. Bonaventure's Parochial School. Paul, who attended the St. Joseph's College at Westmont, Illinois, for three years, was graduated from high school at Campian, Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin, May 30, 1946. He served in the United States Navy, A.E.T.M., from 1946 to 1948, then enrolled at McGill University in Montreal as a student of International Corporation Law. Eleanor was graduated from St. Bonaventure's High School in 1947, then entered Mount Scholastica College at Atchison, Kansas. She was married in 1949. Donald and Robert attended the Seminary of St. Joseph's at Westmont, Illinois.

From 1914 to 1918, Mr. Lakers was employed by the Edison Phonograph Company. After his discharge from the Navy, he was manager of the KuhI and Loehr general merchandise store at Hickman, Nebraska. From 1921 to 1922, he was with Quinn Brothers Hardware & Furniture Company at Defiance, Iowa, and in 1923 became associated with the J. C. Penney Company at David City, Nebraska. In 1924, he came to the Columbus store as assistant manager, and in 1928 was made manager.

Mr. Lakers is a member of the Wayside Country Club, Knights of Columbus, Catholic Knights of America, B.P.O.E., Columbus Chamber of Commerce, Lions International, Northeast Nebraska Chamber of Commerce, Nebraska Welfare Association, Boy Scouts of America, Platte County Agricultural Society, National Council, United States Chamber of Commerce, Navy League of the United States, American Legion, and the Trans-Mississippi Philatelic Society. Mr. and Mrs. Lakers are members of St. Bonaventure's Catholic Church at Columbus.


Frank L. Larson was born in Sweden, April 25, 1864. He immigrated to Iowa with his parents, Andrew G. and Mary Gustafson Larson, coming to Platte County in April, 1878. His parents followed him to Platte County in October, 1878, and homesteaded in Shell Creek Township, where Frank L. farmed for many years. Andrew G. Larson was born April 20, 1834, and died in Genoa, Nebraska, July 22, 1922. Mary Larson was born July 11, 1844, and died in Genoa, March 9, 1925. They had eleven children:

Ida Larson Watts, Matilda Larson Watts, Betty Larson Smith, Maggie Larson Watts, Joseph, Winnie Larson Russell, Eva Larson Perkins, Harry, Mary Larson Hill, and Maude Larson Atkins. Frank L. was the eldest member of the family.

He acquired his early education from Sarah Jane Dack, Mrs. Sam Terry of Monroe, who was the teacher at the school he attended near Platte Center. In 1881, he worked on railroad construction for Pat Fahey and Jim Webster in Kansas, and in 1882 worked near Long Pine, Nebraska.

Mr. Larson lives in Platte Center, Nebraska.



Charles John Larson, Walker Township farmer, came to Platte County from Chicago in 1889. He was born in Sweden, October 22, 1871, son of John Eric Larson and Louise Carlson Larson. John Larson was born in 1843 and died August 6, 1917, at Newman Grove. Louise Larson was born January 1, 1845, and died at Newman Grove in 1941.

Mr. Larson had three brothers and five sisters: Hulda, Anna, August, Fred, Oscar, Ellen, Carrie, and Alice.

Mr. Larson was educated in Sweden, and before coming to Platte County lived in Warren, Pennsylvania, and Chicago.

On June 5, 1901, he was married to Miss Anna Olson, daughter of Nils and Martina Johnson Olson, at the Looking Glass Methodist Church.

Mr. and Mrs. Larson had eleven children. They are: Willard, born May 19, 1903, died September 18, 1906; Evans, born June 7, 1907; Bernice, born December 27, 1908; Paul, born September 30, 1910; Eileen, born March 11, 1914; Edmund, born June 23, 1916; Lester, born January 17, 1918; Frances, born April 5, 1919; Robert, born August 28, 1921; Harvey, born April 21, 1924; and Norma Jean, born May 24, 1927. The Larson children attended School Districts 40 and 63, and the Newman Grove High School.

The Larsons are members of the Looking Glass Methodist Church in Walker Township.


Mike J. Lassek was born July 5, 1877, in Butler Township. He is the son of Valentine and Rose Mrozinski Lassek, who were born in Poland. Valentine came to Nebraska in 1869 from Illinois, locating on a farm in Butler Township; he died there December 1, 1895. Rose Lassek died April 12, 1915.

Mike Lassek had four brothers and six sisters. His brothers were Stephan, Joseph, John and Frank, all of Butler Township.

Mr. Lassek attended St. Stanislaus Parochial School at Duncan, Nebraska. On October 15, 1902, he was married to Miss Mary Paprocki, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Andrew Paprocki, natives of Poland. Mrs. Lassek's mother died in 1901; her father died June 30, 1918, in Columbus. There were six daughters and four sons in the Paprocki family. Their work chiefly was farming.

Mike J. and Mary Paprocki Lassek had three children: Dorothy, Mrs. Borowiak, born August 10, 1903; Hilary M., born August 26, 1906; and Victor C., born December 23, 1909. All attended St. Stanislaus School at Duncan. Dorothy attended St. Mary's Academy, in Omaha. Hilary, an engineer in Omaha, attended the Duncan High School, Quincy College at Quincy, Illinois, and was graduated from Creighton University in Omaha with a degree of Bachelor of Science. Victor C. is farming.

Mike J. Lassek was long a leader in the Democratic party in Butler Township, and was first president of the Farmers' Business Association, of Duncan. A veteran of the Spanish-American War, he saw active service in the Philippines. In 1918, he was captain of Company A of the Platte County Home Guards.

The Lasseks are members of St. Stanislaus Parish in Duncan. When the new church building was built, Mr. Lassek was treasurer on the building committee. A fund of forty-eight thousand dollars was raised for the new church and parish residence, and when completed in 1939 both were free of all debt.


Harry Laudenklos, born March 28, 1895, in Shelby, came to Platte County March 1, 1901. His father died in Columbus, January 1, 1921. His mother, Catherine Ebel Laudenklos, was born in New York, April 6, 1865.

Harry Laudenklos had four brothers and four sisters. He attended school in District 25.

On May 29, 1923, at Council Bluffs, Iowa, he was married to Emma Dora Thayer, daughter of Daniel D. and Henrietta Thayer. Mr. Thayer, a native, died in Monroe, Nebraska, March 30, 1939. Mrs. Thayer was born in Quincy, Iowa, September 26, 1872. Mrs. Laudenklos had five brothers and four sisters.


Erastus Henry Leach

Harry and Emma Thayer Laudenklos had eight children, all born at Columbus: Gladys, born November 25, 1924; Carroll, born March 16, 1926; David and Dale, born March 6, 1930; Duane and Darlene, born June 11, 1936; and Harold and Harry, Jr., born May 10, 1938. All attended School District 4 at Oak Valley. In World War II, Carroll served in the United States Air Corps, and overseas with the Infantry.

Mr. Laudenklos is a farmer and stock raiser, and is affiliated with the Democratic Party. The Laudenklos family are members of Trinity Lutheran Church.

In World War I, Mr. Laudenklos saw active service: overseas with the United States Artillery.


Erastus H. Leach was born February 6, 1855, at Ellicottville, New York. His father, Lovinas B. Leach, born March 2, 1824, at Oxford, New York, arrived in Platte County from DeWitt, Iowa, in June, 1871. He died December 4, 1905, at Humphrey, Nebraska. E. H. Leach's mother, Ann P. Dickinson, was born August 27, 1828, at Guilford, New York, and died June 10, 1910, at Madison, Nebraska. He had four brothers and two sisters, Edgar, Fred, Bessie, Stevie, Frank and Mary.

E. H. Leach came, to Nebraska from DeWitt, Iowa, in a cov-

The History of Platte County Nebraska

ered wagon drawn by horses and oxen. There were no roads on which to travel, and they were stuck in sloughs for half a day at a time. It took seven weeks to come from DeWitt to Humphrey. This same distance can now be covered in nine hours by auto.

Mr. Leach visited Washington, D. C., Salt Lake City, Utah, Idaho Falls and spent one winter at Greensboro, North Carolina. He worked at shipping horses, cattle and hogs.

On June 18, 1903, he was married at Humphrey to Miss Jennie Gietzen, daughter of Henry and Louise A. Voigt Gietzen. Mr. Gietzen was born at Rauhn, Prussia, July 12, 1842, and died March 2, 1923. Mrs. Gietzen was born at Hanshagen, Prussia, May 13, 1849, and died January 4, 1926. Jennie Gietzen Leach had five brothers and three sisters. She was born June 23, 1871.

Mr. and Mrs. Erastus Leach had one son, Vern G. Leach, born June 4, 1904, at Humphrey. He attended school at Humphrey, Omaha, Creston, and Kearney. He is a safe and lock expert, and is married. His hobbies are hunting and fishing.

Erastus Henry Leach is retired. He is a member of the Woodmen of the World, and the Modern Woodmen. He enjoys all sports, especially horse racing and baseball, and is a Democrat. He attends the Presbyterian Church.


Louis H. Leavy was born March 6, 1859, at Great Falls, New Hampshire, and died January 9, 1935, in Columbus. As a boy he moved with his parents to New York City, where he attended the city schools. In 1875, after graduating from grammar school, he decided "to see the country," and set out to make his own way in life. In McLean County, Illinois, he obtained employment as a farm hand.

Meanwhile, he devoted all his spire time to studying. He enrolled in Eureka College in Illinois, attending school six months of the year and working the other six. While in college, he secured employment. after school hours to supplement his earnings.

In November, 1884, on completion of his college education, L. H. Leavy came to Columbus. He had no intention of locating here permanently, but after seeing the county and being favorably impressed, he decided to remain.

There were no vacancies in the teaching staffs of either the rural or the city schools at that time, so he enrolled for more studies in Professor L. J. Cramer's high school class, the first class to graduate from Columbus High School. The next spring, Mr. Leavy was engaged to teach school in School District 10, Bismark Township. He taught there for three years.

It was during his last year there that the blizzard of 1885 swept Nebraska, on January 12. The storm reached such a terrific gale during the afternoon that he dared not dismiss the pupils to send them home.

As night approached, he sent two of the older boys to a nearby farm house for supplies, first taking the precaution to tie them together so they would not become separated. They brought back kerosene for the school lamp and soup for the children.

To allay the pupils' fears, Mr. Leavy had them play games and sing group songs until a late hour, when all bundled up in their overcoats for a night's sleep. Greatly worried over the safety of his charges, because of the flimsy construction of the old school building, Mr. Leavy maintained a constant vigil throughout the raging storm, and they all came through in safety.

In the fall of 1888, L. H. Leavy became teacher in the District School 15. It was while he was teaching there that he became acquainted with Miss Rosa Loseke, the daughter of a pioneer Platte County family. They were married April 17, 1889, at the Loseke Creek Church. Following their marriage, they moved to Columbus, where Mr. Leavy took the position of principal at the First Ward School. He retained his position there for nine years, and was then elected county superintendent of schools.

In 1907, one year before his last term as county superintendent expired, he opened a drug store at 2407 Eleventh Street.

Mr. Leavy was a Democrat and a student of political history. He was an ardent admirer of Franklin D. Roosevelt, with whom he carried on a personal correspondence long before Mr. Roosevelt became president. In the presidential campaign of 1932, Mr. Leavy took the initiative with several other local Democrats in organizing the First and Second Ward Democratic Club and served as its chairman for two years.

Mr. and Mrs. L. H. Leavy had two sons and one daughter: C. Towne, Rosa, Mrs. C. C. Sunderland, and Louis H., Jr. Louis, Jr., died May 6, 1921. The Towne Leavy family live in Los Angeles, California.


Fredrick S. Lecron was born at Hudson, Indiana, October 10, 1876. His parents were Thomas J. and Ida V. Ransburg Lecron.

When a boy he moved to Gibbon, Nebraska, with his parents. He received his early education in the Gibbon schools graduating from the Gibbon High School in 1889. Later he attended the Wayne State Teachers' College at Wayne, Nebraska, and was graduated in 1902.

Following his graduation he went to Platte Center, Nebraska, where he taught in the Platte Center High School for the next six years 1902-1908.

In 1908 Mr. Lecron was elected to the office of County Superintendent of Platte County Schools. He served in that position for thirty-six years. He was prominent in educational circles in Nebraska, and held memberships in the National Educational Association, Nebraska State Teachers' Association, and the District and County Educational Associations. He was a past president of the N.S.T. District Association.

In December, 1902, Fredrick S. Lecron was married


to Miss Bessie A. Robb at Gibbon, Nebraska. They had two sons, Fredrick H. and Robb, and a daughter, Virginia. They all were enrolled in the Columbus schools.

Fredrick H. Lecron was graduated from the Columbus High School, and attended the University of Nebraska. He is married and lives at Kearney, Nebraska. Robb Lecron was graduated from the Columbus High School, and the University of Nebraska Law School with the degree of Bachelor of Laws. He was married to Harriet Gibson. They have a son, Thomas Jr. Robb practiced law in Columbus for a few years. Around 194) he went to Miami, Florida, as attorney for the Metropolitan Insurance Company.

Virginia Lecron was graduated from Kramer High School, and the Wayne State Teachers' College at Wayne, Nebraska, Following her graduation she taught school at Newman Grove, Nebraska. She is Mrs. H. F. Froistiad of Newman Grove.

F. S. Lecron served in the United States Army during the Spanish-American War, from 1898-1899. He held memberships in the Spanish-American War Veterans, the Masons, and the Columbus Chamber of Commerce.

Mr. and Mrs. Fredrick S. Lecron were members of the Methodist Church. Politically, Mr. Lecron was a member of the Democratic Party. Mrs. Lecron died in 1936, and Mr. Lecron died in 1944.


George Harm Leenerts, D.V.M., of Humphrey, was born April 16, 1893, at Bruning, Nebraska, and came to Platte County June 1, 1917, from Kansas City, Missouri. His father, Thomas Leenerts, a farmer, was born in Milford, Illinois, in 1872, and died in August, 1934, at Bruning. His mother, Tena Harberts Leenerts, was born in Quincy, Illinois, in 1873, and died September 2, 1945, at Bruning.

George Leenerts attended Prairie Grove grade school at Bruning, and a college of veterinary medicine in Kansas City. He had three brothers and one sister: Mrs. Minnie Harms; William, an automobile salesman; T. H., a veterinarian; and Frank E., a real estate salesman.

On January 12, 1919, after his discharge from the United States Army, George Leenerts was married to Miss Eula Warner at Kansas City, Missouri. They had two children: Norma Jane, born June 24, 1920; and Gordon Jerome, born August 21, 1921. Mrs. Leenerts died May 28, 1926.

On June 2, 1927, Doctor Leenerts was married to Miss Esther Eisenmenger, daughter of Anthony and Elizabeth Schelkopf Eisenmenger, at Lincoln, Nebraska. Anthony Eisenmenger, a farmer, was born in Illinois, March 29, 1861, and came to Platte County in the early 1890's. He died in 1933, at Humphrey. Elizabeth Schelkopf was born in 1864, in Illinois, and died in 1934, in Columbus.

Esther Eisenmenger Leenerts had one brother and seven sisters: Rose, Mrs. Joe Brockhaus; Celia, Mrs. E. J. Kerrigan; Bertha, Mrs. Pete Van Dyke; Theresa, Mrs. Dick Kerrigan; Rita, Mrs. H. C. Schumacher; Sister Mary Alphonsus; Mark; and Rorna, Mrs. W. W. Price.

George and Esther Leenerts had nine children: Maryse, born May 18, 1928; Jacqueline, born July 24, 1930; Marilu, born August 26, 1931; Tommy, born March 9, 1933; Jerry, born August 3, 1934: Betty, born September 24, 1935; Bobby, born July 23, 1937; Bonnie, born November 26, 1940; and Georgia, born December 1, 1943. All attended St. Francis School at Humphrey, Nebraska.


George Lehman

George H. Leenerts, D.V.M., a practicing veterinarian at Humphrey, was commander of the Legion Post at Humphrey several times, and is a charter member of the Platte County Agricultural Society, and has served as a member of its Board of Directors. He is also a member of the Knights of Columbus, American Legion, Chamber of Commerce, American Veterinary Medical Association, Nebraska Veterinary Medical Association, and is a Republican.

The Leenerts family are members of St. Francis Catholic Church in Humphrey.


George Lehman, a pioneer hotel man in Columbus, was born at Des Moines, Iowa, January 6, 1848, and died June 12, 1918, in Columbus.

In 1863, at the age of fifteen, George Lehman enlisted with the Ohio Regiment and served until the end of the Civil War. He came to Columbus in 1867 and a year later joined one of Major Frank North's famous companies of Pawnee Scouts and with other sturdy figures of those pioneer days aided in subjugating troublesome Indian tribes in Nebraska, Colorado, and Wyoming. As a lieutenant, he took part in the historic battle of Summit Springs, Colorado, in 1869 in which the Cheyennes under Chief Tall Bull's command were defeated.

In 1869 George Lehman returned to Columbus and bought the old American Hotel. He moved it to the southeast corner of Tenth and Olive Street, now Twenty-sixth Avenue, and used it as the framework of the Grand Pacific Hotel which he operated for many years. The old Grand Pacific was noted for its cuisine made famous by the talented French chefs employed by Mr. Lehman.


Prior Page
Table of Contents
Next page

© 2005 for the NEGenWeb Project by Ted & Carole Miller