Twelfth New Hampshire  Regiment 

Company F Roster

ahgp2-med.jpg (10634 bytes)

Uconstr3.gif (333 bytes) construct_line_1.gif (1087 bytes) Uconstr3.gif (333 bytes)

This is a work in progress (this is not a complete roster). If you are a researcher and have a Web page of anyone on this Roster and want a link on this page or have any information to add please eMail me with the information and the source.

updated.gif (168 bytes)   Thursday, May 30, 2002 12:14:40 AM

Post and Read Queries  ~~~  Post and Read Records



Solon G. BLAISDELL, Sergeant; enlisted Aug 11 1862, age 28; was a harness-maker by trade, and had a shop, first on Water street and afterwards on Main street. He was born in Danville, Vt., Feb 11, 1834. His parents were Greenleaf L. and Emeline (Babbit) Blaisdell. At what time he came to town, I have been unable to learn. He married, Dec 17, 1859, Miss Annie G. Clarke. He enlisted first in Company G, Eighth New Hampshire volunteers, but owing to some misunderstanding he was not mustered into service. promoted Sergeant 1st Class Nov 23 1863; wounded June 3 1864; promoted Lieutenant 2nd Class May 18 1865 (Not Mustered); Mustered out on 21 June 1865 in Richmond, VA. He participated in the battles of Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, Wapping Heights, Swift Creek, Drury's Bluff, Port Walthall, Cold Harbor, Bermuda Front. At Petersburg for seventy-two days he was under fire, and at the capture of Richmond was one of the first men to enter the city. At Cold Harbor, he was wounded quite severely in the left arm and side, and also in the foot. The captain of his company tells me that he was one of the most reliable soldiers in the regiment, and deserved promotion long before he received it.

Sources #1, #2

Charles H. BROCK, Corporal, enlisted August 14 1862, age 29; born Pittsfield, July 13, 1832. He always made his home here except for five years, when he was at Sag Harbor, L. I., employed in a cotton factory. He is a shoemaker by trade. July 30, 1854, he married Mrs. Almira H. Austin, by whom he had one child. Enlisted, September 5, 1862, and was at once made a corporal. At one time, while in charge of a detail cutting wood, an axe in the hands of a comrade glanced, cutting off three fingers from his right hand. He was transferred to the Invalid corps in March, 1863, and stationed at Findley hospital in the city of Washington. While here the rebels under General Early made their famous raid on the city. The Invalid corps turned out and defended the capitol until reinforcements arrived. Then, on Early's retreat, they followed him up the valley. After his return from this pursuit, Brock was discharged September 26, 1864. (Transferred in Company 129, 2nd Bttln Regiment RC on 10 April 1864, Received a disability discharge on 26 September 1864 in Washington, DC) 

Sources #1, #2, Brock men of New Hampshire

Charles O. DURGIN, Corporal, enlisted as a Private Aug 22 1862 age 18; was wounded June  3 1864; promoted Corporal May 1 1865; mustered out June 21 1865 Richmond, VA; as a boy he was noted for his serious demeanor, and was known by his playmates as "Deacon." He was born in Pittsfield, March 11, 1844, and was a son of Levi and Susan O. (Kenneston) Durgin. Was in every engagement in which the regiment took part, except the Battle of Gettysburg; at that time he was sick with a fever, and was sent to Chestnut Hill hospital, Philadelphia. After he rejoined the regiment he was severely injured at Point Lookout while building a stockade in which to confine rebel prisoners. As soon as he recovered he was in a raid that about one hundred of the men of his regiment made into Virginia. At the Battle of Drury's Bluff, a cannon ball came so near his head as to knock his cap off. He, with the assistance of Edwin Kelley, helped Rueben T. Leavitt from the field of Chancellorsville, when he was so badly wounded. He was promoted to be corporal, May 1, 1865--a tardy recognition of a good soldier. His home is now at North Berwick, Me. While at Point Lookout, Durgin was one of a squad of soldiers. who took out a lot of prisoners to cut wood. Of course they wanted to escape, for as one writer has said, "Confinement in a palace is unendurable," and these men evidently considered confinement in a stockade in the same way. They hid themselves under a house, so that when their companions returned to their quarters they would be left behind. Durgin saw this movement on their part, and reported it to the officers in charge, who detailed Durgin and a comrade to remain behind and watch, and when these men crawled out, to fire but not bit them. This was done, and then the two "Johnnies" begged like good fellows for mercy, which of course was granted but with seeming reluctance.

Sources #1, #2

Jeremiah W. DENNETT, Wagoner enlisted Aug 11 1862 age 37; mustered out June 21 1865  Richmond, VA; was born November 7, 1824, in Gilmanton. He was a brother of the preceding. When he was about fifteen years old the family moved to Pittsfield. After a short time they went to Portsmouth, then to Rochester, afterwards to Holderness, then to Pittsfield, where Comrade Dennett lived until he enlisted. He married in 1846 Sophia Nelson, by whom he had eight children. His business was that of teamster and farmer. He was mustered into the United States service, September 5, 1862, as wagoner of Company F, Twelfth regiment, New Hampshire volunteers, and was employed in this capacity during his entire term of service. The only time he was excused from duty was for about two weeks at Falmouth, Va., in the winter of 1863. He has always made his home in Pittsfield since his return from the army.

Sources #1, #2

Asa W. BARTLETT, Musician, enlisted Aug 21 1862, age 22; claimed residence Pittsfield; transferred March 2 1863 to Staff and promoted Sergt Major; transferred March 3 1864 from Staff to Company G and promoted 2nd Lieut; transferred on 15 July 1864 from Company G to Company K and promoted 1st Lieut; transferred Sept 28 1864 from Company K to Company C  and promoted Capt.; discharged disabled March 18 1865; last reported residence Pittsfield.

Source #2


Stephen W. BACHELDER, Private, resided Loudon, enlisted August 12, 1862, age 42; died of disease Nov 17 1862 Washington, DC.

Source #2

William Henry BLAKE, Private, enlisted Aug 11 1862 age 18;  born in Loudon, May 10, 1842, son of William T. and Joanna (Roberts) Blake. He came to Pittsfield when but five or six years of age, and attended school and worked with his father in the blacksmith shop on Concord street, that stood on the site of Hartwell's grist-mill. Enlisted  Sept 5, 1864. At the Battle of Fredericksburg the regiment marched over the hill and rested near the river. While crossing the hill many of them were hit, but down by the river the shells would pass over their heads. Still it was a rather uncomfortable place for Blake. Looking back about half-way up the hill he saw a tree that he thought would make a good shelter; so he skedaddled for that, but had hardly got behind it and congratulated himself on his fine protection, when a shell struck the tree just above his head and exploded. He left his hiding-place pretty quick. After crossing the river he was detailed on the skirmish line which was advanced so far that when the army fell back the skirmishers were forgotten. Soon he saw the lieutenant-colonel of the regiment crawling towards them and making motions for them to fall back; this they did with alacrity and none too soon, for they were nearly surrounded. They afterwards learned that the colonel had given them up as lost, and had advised against the lieutenant-colonel going to their rescue. They at last reached the bridge and hurried over it, expecting the enemy to fire upon them, but while they were going one way the rebels were going the other. At Chancellorsville, Va.,-on May 3, 1863, was fought one of the bloodiest battles of the war. When our lines were driven back, Blake was captured, taken to Richmond, and confined in Libby Prison ; here he remained for several months with "nothing to do," as he expressed it, "but to pick lice by day [and there were plenty of them to pick] and to sleep nights," when the lice and mosquitoes would permit. One day a squad of men were to be taken out for exchange. The men were formed to be marched out, and surrounded by the guards; one of the latter turned to speak to a companion, and Blake slipped into the squad unperceived and marched out with the others. He was placed aboard a boat and taken to Annapolis, and put in a hospital. At that time he weighed but ninety-nine pounds. Here he remained for a long time; his recovery was slow, and it was found that he would not be able to rejoin his regiment, so he was transferred to the Veterans' Reserve corps. He was first sent to Washington and Georgetown, guarding bridges, etc., and then to Elmira, N. Y., guarding rebel prisoners. Here he remained until the close of the war. When he entered the army he was very athletic; he would go on the parade ground, and after turning several handsprings, would walk to his tent on his hands, much to the amusement of his comrades. (Transferred Company D, 1st Infantry Regiment RC Feb 3 1864; Discharged July 14 1865 in Elmira, NY)

Sources #1, #2

William T. BATCHELDER, Private, enlisted Aug 22 1862, age 38; claimed residence Loudon; discharged disabled Manchester, NH  Jan 23 1865; died June 24 1891 Pittsfield, NH.   

Sources #1, #2

Asa O. CARR, Private, enlisted Aug 16 1862 at the age of 19; was born in Gilmanton, Oct 31, 1842. When five years of age his parents moved to Pittsfield, and Asa lived with them, working on his father's farm until he enlisted Aug 16, 1862. He attended the public school at "Upper City" and a private school kept by the Rev. Hosea Quimby. He  mustered the fifth of the following September. He served with his company until the Battle of Gettysburg, and during that time was never sick nor excused from duty. On the 13th of Dec 1862, the Battle of Fredericksburg was fought, and his company was sent to support a battery in the streets of that city. After the defeat of our forces two companies of the regiment, of which Company F was one, were detailed to cover a part of the retreat of the army, and were forgotten by the officers. After the rest had crossed the river they were remembered, and under cover of a heavy fog an officer came back and found them. He told them to run for their lives towards the bridge. Just as they reached it, the fog lifted and they were discovered by the rebels, who opened fire upon them. Such running as those boys made has seldom been excelled. The last one reached the bridge just as the pontoons were loosed and the bridge swung down the river. While at Falmouth, opposite Fredericksburg, President Lincoln, and Governor Berry of New Hampshire, paid them a visit. Then came Burnside's famous mud march. Soon after the army was in motion it began to rain; it came down in torrents, the roads were quagmires of sticky mud, the army could not move either way. After a while the rain ceased, and then came the heavy labor of building a road of logs so that the army could once more get on solid ground. On May 3, 1863, was the Battle of Chancellorsville. In this engagement Carr was hit in the leg by a piece of shell; a bullet struck him in the ankle, and after cutting his stocking more than half off, lodged in his boot. His cap was blown off by the discharge of a rifle in the hands of a careless comrade. After this fight the regiment went back to its old camp at Falmouth. During the last days of June they received orders to march, and started north in the great race with Lee's army. On July 1 they were at Emmetsburg, some fifteen miles from Gettysburg. Quite late in the afternoon they got orders for a forced march, and started at once, guided by a Pennsylvania farmer. Just at dark they ran into the rebel picket, and had to make a wide detour to get around the rebel army. It was twelve o'clock at night before they could stretch themselves on the ground, where they slept soundly until daybreak. After drinking a cup of coffee, and eating a hasty breakfast of hard bread as they marched along, they arrived in line of battle just at sunrise on the now historic field of Gettysburg. This was July 2, 1863. This regiment was stationed on the Emmetsburg road, but was not engaged until about 4 p. m. A few minutes later a ball struck Carr's belt-buckle with such force as to knock him over; he was helped to his feet by Lieutenant French, and as soon as he regained his breath, the regiment fell back a few rods. Soon came that order most difficult to execute while under fire, "Change front to the rear!" Carr had just loaded his rifle and had about-faced without bringing it to a shoulder, when he was struck by a Mini‚ ball in the shoulder. The bullet passed through his right lung and shattered two of his ribs. He crawled away a short distance, and soon after saw his regiment pass along to enter the fight. He tried calling to them, but was too weak to make them hear. Just then an officer rode up, and Carr asked him to call George H. Sanborn (of Pittsfield) who was still in sight, to help him off. The officer asked if he was wounded. Carr replied that he was, very badly. The officer sat in thought for a moment, then said, "We can't spare a man: we need every one," and galloped away. All night long Carr laid on the field without food or drink. The thirst that comes to all wounded men tortured him, and he had no means of allaying it. At last, the next day, he was taken to the field hospital, where he remained a month; from there he went to Baltimore, and still later was given a thirty days' furlough. He came home, arriving at his father's house October 10. His furlough was extended for thirty days longer, and at length, January 4, 1864, he was discharged. Several pieces of bone came from his shattered shoulder and ribs. These he has, with his canteen, testament, and cap--there is a hole made in the last by his comrade's bullet,--as mementos of the days he went soldiering. While at Falmouth, just before entering the Battle of Fredericksburg, Carr and some comrades got a kettle of potatoes from a house and built a fire to cook them, when a cannon ball from the enemy knocked the kettle over; so they had to leave the potatoes on the ground. The night before, their blankets froze to the ground on which the boys slept. Comrade Carr has been a resident of this town since his discharge. (was wounded  July 2 1863 Received a disability discharge on 04 January 1864 in Concord, NH)

Sources #1, #2

Jeremiah M. MARSTON, Private, claimed residence Pittsfield; enlisted Aug 16 1862, age 19; mustered out Richmond, VA June 21 1865; last reported residence Kalama, WA.;  he was a native of Pittsfield, a son of Jeremiah and Rhoda (Maxfield) Marston, and always resided in town until he enlisted in Company F, Twelfth New Hampshire volunteers. He was mustered into service September 5, 1862, and served until the close of the war, taking part in nearly all of the battles and skirmishes in which his regiment was engaged. He is reported by his comrades as being a first-class soldier.

Sources #1, #2

Jeremiah MARSTON, Private, claimed residence Pittsfield; enlisted Aug 16 1862, age 19; killed Cold Harbor, VA June 3 1864.         

Sources #1, #2


Epsom, NH Civil War Soldiers


  1. Pittsfield, NH in the Great Rebellion,  Author: H. L. Robinson (1893);  transcribed by Fred Kunchick

  2. Register of Soldiers and Sailors of New Hampshire 1861-65 (1895): transcribed by Fred Kunchick

NOTICE: Printing non-commercial individuals and libraries is encouraged, as long as all notices and submitter information is included. Any other use, including copying files to other sites requires permission from the submitter PRIOR to uploading to any other sites.
The New Hampshire Civil War History and Genealogy Project makes no claims or estimates of the validity of the information submitted and reminds you that each new piece of information must be researched and proved or disproved by weight of evidence. It is always best to consult the original material for verification.

  12th Regiment New Hampshire Home
ALHN/AHGP New Hampshire Civil War History and Genealogy

ALHN New Hampshire
AHGP New Hampshire
USGenWeb Project New Hampshire

1999-2002 by Frederick H. Kunchick, Jr., Independent AMSOIL Dealer. All rights reserved.