The Bliss families of Rehoboth
and Newport have historical ties with the Church of the Holy Cross at
Daventry and the Church of St. Peter and St. Paul at Preston Capes.
It was at Daventry that William Blysse (b. 1530-35) was
buried July 20, 1574, and his son, John Blisse was baptized Feb 2,
1562. John's son, Thomas
It was at St. Peter and St. Paul that John Blisse was
buried September 8, 1617. His second wife, Alice Smith, the mother
of John Blisse (born 1615-1616) was buried there on March 26, 1625.
The present building of the Church of the Holy Cross was
erected in the 18th century, but its pedigree goes back to 1066 or
earlier. The church in Daventry would have been a place from which
missionaries went out to minister and preach. Hugh de Leycester, founded a
Cluniac Monastery at Preston Capes in 1090 and moved with several monks to
Daventry in 1108, taking over the church and erecting a priory to the
honor of St. Mary of La Charite and St. Augustine near the site of the
present church. By the 14th century, eighteen monks were attached to the
Daventry site. By 1752, Daventry's growing population necessitated church
expansion, a fire had occurred, and the church was aging. The Bishop
of Peterborough suggested that the old church be demolished and a new one
erected. A new church was started in 1752 and completed six years
later. Northamptonshire brown ironstone was used in the
construction, and the total cost, including bells and chimes, was £3486.
The church has a peal of ten bells dating from 1738. Parish
registers. dating from 1560, are now kept at the County Record Office, but
a collection of books from the 16th century are kept in the church.
The present building of the Church of St Peter and St.
Paul in Preston Capes dates to at least the mid-12th century. The arcade
in the south aisle dates from that time; the north arcade is thought to
have been constructed 200 years later. Dark ironstone was used in the
construction of the south arcade and light-colored limestone was used for
the north arcade. Corbels, representing the eight King Henrys, were used
where the arches join the columns. The churchyard contains a number of
graves dating to the 1600s as well as the base of a former preaching
cross. It was around this cross that people gathered to worship
while the church was being built.
in & around Daventry by Ron Wilson. ISBN 1 899293 76 0