at St. Joseph's Cemetery
Linda (Jenkins) Sonneson of Machesney Park, IL <email@example.com> and her husband were able to find a small JENKINS burying ground immediately adjacent to the large Catholic Cemetery at St. Joe's Hill near Sellersburg. She reported on March 17, 2004:
The cemetery is located on land my 4X great-grandmother (Charity Jenkins) bought in 1806, she (and others are buried on that land). Subsequently over the years St. Joe's Church was built and the Catholic Cemetery established.
The Jenkins are buried on a hillside, under mature trees. The area was known to have a tombstone lying on the ground, but was not maintained. St. Joe's mowed the area once or twice a year.
The information below has been provided to the libraries in Clark, Jefferson and Crawford Counties, also to St. Joe's Church.
On a picturesque wooded hill adjoining St. Joe Church, 2605 St. Joe Rd. W, Sellersburg, IN is a small burial ground with a few Jenkins buried there. A sign has been erected "Jenkins Cemetery". As you approach the church from the front, the Catholic Cemetery is to the right. To the left, on the hilltop are the Jenkins.
In 2003 the tombstones were set in new concrete where they were found. No other burials were discovered, the ground was probed in a grid every 3-4". The area was cleared of debris and poison ivy, a few flowers were planted around the sign and Charity's stone.
1. Flat stone with no writing. Original flat stone was in many pieces, this is a replacement.
2. MAJ carved on stone [possibly a footstone for Margaret Jenkins]
3. Flat stone with no writing. Original flat stone was in many pieces, this is a replacement.
4. Flat stone with no writing. Original flat stone was in many pieces, this is a replacement.
5. Charity Jenkins: Her tombstone reads: "In Memory of Charity Jenkins, Wife of Enoch Jenkins, who died July 19, A.D. 1830, aged 63 years 10 months and 28 days. Remember friends as you pass by, as you are now, once was I, As I am now so must you be, prepare for death and follow me."
6. Bartholomew Jenkins, died July 4, 1850 aged 60 years.
7. Margaret Jenkins, wife of Bartholomew Jenkins, died 1837.
8. Elizabeth, wife of _________(name is unreadable) died March 26, 1843.
9. Small stone with BJ [possibly a footstone for Bartholomew Jenkins].
I have no further information on this cemetery. This index was obtained from the Jeffersonville Township Public Library, 211 East Court Avenue, Jeffersonville, Indiana 47130, telephone: (812) 285-5635.
E-mail: Dee Pavey
Click here to return to the Clark County Cemeteries Index
Click here to return to the Clark County INGenWeb site