Most of the previously unknown material on the Post of Omaha is in the
Post Returns in the records of the Adjutant General’s office and the District
of Nebraska records in the records of the War Department, U.S. Amy Commands,
General Order 11, Department of Missouri, November 2, 1862.
Craig’s force was initially known as the Defense of the Overland Mail
Route Command with headquarters at
The Herndon House was located at the northeast corner of Ninth and Farnam
The territorial capitol was located at 20th and
J. Craig to S.R. Curtis, April 15, 1863.
District of Nebraska, Letters Sent. The
Special Order 57, District of Nebraska, August 19, 1863.
For a first hand description of the activities of the 7th
Alfred E. Sorenson, The Story of
The location was identified by superimposing early surveyor's plats
showing the military bridge onto a map showing the streets of
5th was a “Galvanized Yankee” regiment.
12. William T.
Sherman, Memoirs (New York: D. Appleton and Company, 2 vols, 2d ed. rev.,
1886), II, 412. For a detailed
history of the Department of the Platte during its most important years see
Richard Guentzel, "The Department of the
last returns are for April 1866.
a more day-to-day review of the events at and relevant to
of W.T. Sherman, Annual Report of the Secretary of War, 40 Cong., 2d sess., House
Ex. Doc- No. 1 I, 58-59.
present main entrance is located at 30th and Fort Streets.
Order 40, Department of the
Lawn Cemetery became the
Army and Navy Journal, July 29 and August 5, 1871.
Department of the Platte for the history of the headquarters various
moves between the city and the post. The
attached article from the Omaha Bee newspaper also describes the various
Order 9, Division Of the Missouri, December 30, 1878 in compliance with Adjutant
General's Office, General Order 79, November 8, 1878.
Winning of the West, 84-85 for the details of this event.
F. Cas. 695 (C.C.D. Neb. 1879) (No. 14,891). See
Thomas H. Tibbles, The Ponca Chiefs:
An Account Of the Trial of Standing Bear (Bison Book ed., Lincoln:
University of Nebraska Press, 1972) for the general background and a first-hand
description of this case. Tibbles is
the reporter referred to in the text. For
a narrative of the oral argument, see the Omaha Daily Herald, May 1, 4,
6, 7, 1879. There is a memorial
plaque to Chief Standing Bear at the northeast end of the parade ground.
Army and Navy Journal, May 5, 1888.
Sherman to Robert T. Lincoln, August 2, 1882.
Adjutants General’s Office, Letters Sent, 1882.
27. Marvin F.
Schmitt (ed.), General George Crook: His
Autobiography (Norman: University of Oklahoma Press, 2d ed. rev. 1960), 268
Rec., H6443 (June 10, 1896).
3rd Nebraska Volunteer Infantry, under the command of William Jennings Bryan,
mobilized at Fort Omaha during the period June 12-July 18, 1898,
according to the 1897-1898 Report of the Adjutant General of Nebraska,
135 (1899). The 3rd’s camp was
apparently unnamed. The 2nd Nebraska
Volunteer Infantry returned to
USAF Historical Division,
landmark balloon house north of the 1879 Department of the
"veteran" frame building from the fort stood for many years at
Ponca Indians confined with Chief Standing Bear helped build these structures.
indicated to the contrary, the building numbers are those assigned by the
community college. This is community
college building 8.
is the college’s designation. This
was building 15 on the last military plat of the fort.
military designation was 2/3 to reflect its duplex construction.
a detailed history through 1955 see History of Fort Crook/Offutt Air Force
Base (author unknown, unfinished and unpaginated manuscript in the files of
the historian of the 3902nd Air Base Wing (SAC), Offutt AFB, no date but circa
1955-56). Cited hereafter as Fort
first troops arrived on June 20, 1896. Headquarters,
Offutt Air Force Base, A Chronology of Offutt Air Force Base (SAC)
(Offutt: January 1, 1962), 2. Cited hereafter as Chronology.
Smith, W.H. Wassell, R.L. Hamilton, History of the 22nd Infantry, 1866-1922 (Manila,
P.I.:E.C. McCullough and Caripany, 1922) as quoted in Fort Crook History.
Colonel Ira A. Rader, USAF (ret.) to OAFB Historical Section, June 6, 1955, as
quoted in Fort Crook History.
Generals Office, General Order 14, section 2, May 3, 1924.
indicate there was a rifle range at Plattsmouth as early as 1912 in the area
northeast of town. The Nebraska
National Guard had its annual encampment at Plattsmouth several times.
Kountze to M.C. Meigs September 19, 1866, copy in Letters Sent, Department of
1887 Sanborn insurance map does not show any remnants of the quartermaster
depot. The four corners of the depot
were at (1)
just north of 13th & Webster; (2) halfway between Webster and Burt at
Government Corral can be seen at the lower right in the 1868 and 1876 large
1878 contract is still in the Union Pacific’s legal files.
Stuart C. Lynn and Jeff R. Henningfield, History of the Old Corral
(unpublished manuscript 1994) for more information.
building designation is from the 1903 plat of the depot.
organization also created a summary of the 20th century activity of the depot in
(PFC) David E. Lavash, The Old Corral (unpublished manuscript,
Fred M. Greguras
All Rights Reserved
1977, 1999, 2000