It is probable that among the early settlers of Nebraska there is not a one who is more widely know than the above, who is now a resident of Loup City. He came to this county in 1883, and since that time has made it his home. For more than a quarter of a century he has lived in Loup City, and during this long period of time he has accomplished many things for the city. It is indebted to him for Jenner's Park, one of the well-known resorts of the locality, and much of its progress in other ways can be traced to his enterprise and public spirit.
Henry Jenner was born in London, England, on the 14th of March, 1861, and was the second of eight children born to Henry and Jemima Garches (Bond) Jenner. But of this large family, five of the children are still living - three sisters in England and one brother, Robert, in Loup City. Both parents died in the old country.
Mr. Jenner received his elementary education under private instructors, and after spending seven years in the famous school at Eaton, entered King's College in London, where he remained four years. After leaving this college, he engaged in the business of brewing for three years.
In 1882, he came to America, sailing from Liverpool to New York in the "City of Chester," and located in Sherman county, Nebraska. The next year, in company with his brother, Robert Bond Jenner, he bought three hundred and twenty acres of land, about seven miles south of Loup City, where they lived for five years, then sold and moved to town, where Mr. Jenner engaged in the creamery business in partnership with H. M. Mathew.
In September, 1892, Mr. Jenner married Miss Laura Lee Smith, a native of Tennessee. Her father, Andrew Jackson Smith, came to Sherman county, Nebraska, in 1879. His wife, who was Loania V. V. Norton before marriage, followed with the children the next spring. Three children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Jenner: Constance, Henry and Robert.
Mr. Jenner is one of the younger men among the early settlers, but his liberal education and natural progressiveness have tended to make him remarkable among the sturdy pioneers. He has always been interested in all measures tending to the betterment of the conditions in his adopted home, and has not hesitated to give freely of both time and means in order to accomplish the end sought. For fourteen years he served as water commissioner, superintending the municipal water works.
About 1898, he purchased some land adjoining the city limits, seven acres of which he has devoted to a private amusement and zoological park, known as Jenner's Park. He now has about two hundred animals of various kinds here, and many interesting curios from many parts of the world. Besides these, there are all kind of devices for amusing both young and old, splendid dancing and refreshment pavilion, etc. The grounds are beautified by the many and rare flowers, which are kept in the finest possible order, as well as the many tiny ponds filled with hundreds of darting, flashing gold fish. It is a park which would do credit to a much larger city than Loup City.
Mr. Jenner's long residence in this city, together with his remarkable personality, have made it possible for him to come in contact with many hundreds of people, and he is respected by every one with whom he has an acquaintance.
Mr. Jenner was reared in the Episcopal church. He is a member of the Knights of Pythias order and of the Ancient Order of United Workmen. In politics he is a republican.
FRANK A. THOENE, SR.
One of the oldest of Nebraska's citizens, one who has for nearly forty years been a resident of Cedar county, is Frank A. Thoene, now living retired from active farming, in Hartington.
Mr. Thoene was born in the village of Arpe, province of Westphalia, Germany, December 24, 1833, a son of Fred and Elizabeth (Jutte) Thoene. He lived in his native land, engaging in farm labor, until his emigration to America in 1861. Sailing from Bremen in a full-rigged ship, after a voyage of six weeks he landed in New York July 15, 1861, and proceeded at once to Detroit, Michigan, where friends from his native village had preceded him. Here he found work in a factory for a time, but quit work to enlist in the army, going to the front in October of 1861.
The company in which he was enrolled went to St. Louis, Missouri, to join Sigel's Brigade, and was mustered in as Company G, Fifth Missouri Volunteer Infantry, and was quartered for a time at Benton Barracks. His company was the only one of the regiment that was not engaged in a mutiny on the Arkansas border, but was for a time under arrest with the others. They saw service in the Ozark region, between St. Louis and southwest Missouri, and were marched through the south part of the state to Cape Girardeau, and were transported thence to St. Louis by boat, serving in all thirteen months.
After his discharge, Mr. Thoene returned to Detroit. Here he worked for six months, and then journeyed to the northern peninsula, and worked in the copper mines for two and a half years. From that time until 1872, he was employed in Detroit in a wholesale store, resigning his position to remove to Nebraska. On reaching Cedar county, he settled in Bow valley, on a homestead, to which he has continually added until he now owns thirteen hundred and sixty acres of as fine land as is to be found in Nebraska. Foreseeing the future development of the state, he early began buying at a time when he
secured titles at from four to nine dollars an acre. One farm of two hundred and eighty acres lies within a mile of Hartington to the west, and is a very valuable tract of land. In March, 1907, Mr. Thoene resigned the reigns of management to his sons, and, purchasing a cottage in Hartington retired to a life of greater ease.
Mr. Thoene was married at Detroit, Michigan, in the fall of 1866, to Miss Otilda Arens, born in Westphalia in 1838. Her death occurred in March, 1911. Of their eleven children, eight are living, two having died in infancy and one in maturity. The ones attaining maturity are Frank A., junior, farming in Cedar county; Matilda deceased, who was the wife of Theodore Peitz; Joseph occupies part of the old home farm; Toney cultivates one of his father's farms at Fordyce; Mary is the wife of Peter Lauer, living two miles west of Hartington; Henry is farming in Texas; Lizzie, who is the wife of John Stappert, lives on their farm in Bow valley; Fred is farming near St. Helena, and John, the youngest, shares the old home farm with Joseph.
Mr. Thoene, being a soldier at the time, was allowed to cast his first vote in 1861, although he had been in America but a short time. He supported the democratic party until 1880, but has since been a republican. He was reared a Catholic, and is now a member of the church in Hartington. He is a comrade of Post No. 179, Grand Army of the Republic, at Hartington. He was one of the first assessors of his precinct, and held that office for several years.
Mr. Thoene, like other settlers, endured many hardships during the early days. The first year he raised a good crop on the small acreage he had broken, but the second year the grasshoppers took everything he had sown. His first year he had twelve acres of corn, twelve of wheat and twelve of oats. He raised six hogs, hauled five dressed ones to Yankton, and got only $31.00 for the lot, all the cash they had to live on for two years, until the crop of 1874 was raised. Fortunately the grasshoppers passed over his land in later years, when others were suffering severe losses. The family suffered from blizzards, too, that of October, 1880, taking toll of him to the extent of eight or ten head of stock, while a neighbor lost all he owned.
But, withal, life in Nebraska has been a successful one for Mr. Thoene. He suffered many bitter trials and endured many hardships, but he endured to the end, and in the evening of life Mr. Thoene can take life easy without a thought or care of the morrow.
HON. THOMAS F. FARRELL.
Among the early settlers in eastern Nebraska, who labored for the upbuilding of that region and has met with marked success and gained a high station as a citizen, none commands higher respect and esteem than the subject of this review. Mr. Farrell is a gentleman of active public spirit, and has been prominent in local, county and state affairs for many years past, and is universally esteemed as a worthy citizen.
Thomas F. Farrell, son of John and Catherine (0 'Conner) Farrell, was born in Canada, December 25, 1858, and was the eldest in a family of nine children, of whom one brother resides in Oregon, one in North Dakota, and another in Idaho, and three sisters live in Merrick county, Nebraska. The mother died in 1899, as did also the father, both on the old homestead in Nebraska.
In April, 1871, when twelve years of age, Mr. Farrell came with his parents to Merrick county, Nebraska, where the father homesteaded one hundred and sixty acres in section thirty-four, township thirteen, range seven, in Chapman township. He received his education in the schools of Canada and Nebraska, and later engaged in farming.
About 1882, Mr. Farrell, our subject, purchased eighty acres, which was his home place twenty-five years, but he is now living on his father's homestead. He has been prosperous and successful, and owns something over two hundred acres of fine farming land, all under cultivation. In politics, Mr. Farrell is a populist, and was a member of the Nebraska state senate, representing the eighteenth district two terms, from 1897 to 1901 inclusive. He also served nine years on the school board of his district.
Mr. Farrell was married June 10, 1884, to Miss Sarah Gallagher of Wilkesbarre, Pennsylvania. Mr. and. Mrs. Farrell have had ten children born to them, seven of whom are living: Veronica, wife of John Malloy, has one child and lives in Saunders county, Nebraska; Teressa, Paul, Gertrude, Thomas, Vivian and Ragina, all of whom reside under the parental roof; Edward, deceased; Agnes and Harry, deceased in infancy.
Mrs. Farrell's father, Barney Gallagher, died in 1907, and her mother still lives in Palmer, Nebraska. A sister lives in Canada, one in Los Angeles, another in the state of Washington, and still another in Chicago. She has a brother residing in South Dakota, one brother and two sisters in Merrick county.
Mr. Farrell is one of the well known men of this part of the state, and has been closely identified with the interests of Nebraska. He is a progressive man of affairs, and is widely and favorably known.
C. A. LYON.
Mr. C. A. Lyon, who resides on section five, township twenty-nine, range five, Knox county, is one of the leading old-timers in this section, and has always done his full share in the betterment of conditions throughout the community in which he lives.
Mr. Lyon is a native of New York state, and was born at Buffalo, February 2, 1842. He is a son of Lewis and Samanthe Lyon, of Irish and English descent respectively. Our subject's grandmother, on his mother's side, was in Boston at the time of the famous tea party, and well remembered that stirring event. His great grandfather, Ethan Allen, served in the revolutionary war.
Mr. Lyon's early childhood was spent in his native city, and at the tender age of three years, his parents moved to Wisconsin, where the family remained until he was ten years old, and then they migrated to Iowa. His education was obtained in the public schools of Wisconsin and Iowa, where he spent his boyhood days. While living in Iowa, he enlisted in Company F, 3rd Regiment of Iowa Infantry, under Captain C. A. Newcomb, and served through the entire war. He was wounded at Blue Mills, Missouri, was laid up for some time, and in February, 1862, was discharged on account of another disability. In August, 1862, he re-enlisted at West Union, Iowa. He saw active service and participated in many battles and minor engagements, being wounded again at Springfield, Missouri.
He received his discharge in August, 1865, and returned to his home in Iowa, remaining there engaged in a harness shop and farming up to 1872. In the month of May of that year, he started out by wagon team for Nebraska, and selected a location in section nine, township twenty-nine, range five, filed on a homestead, and begun to build up a farm. He at once put up a dugout and sod house combined, in which they lived for several years. During the first three years, the grasshoppers took about all they raised, which was a serious hardship in those days, times being extremely hard for the poor settler at the best. In 1894, the hot winds burned up all his crops. He managed to make a bare living, often himself and family being without the common necessaries of life. Many times during his early residence here in Nebraska, the entire settlement was forced to fight for days the stubborn prairie fires that threatened their homes and stock.
After a hard struggle for existence, Mr. Lyon finally begun to accumulate a nice property, and at the present time he is the owner of a valuable estate and beautiful home, situated on section five, township twenty-nine. range five. consisting of three hundred and twenty acres of the finest land in the county.
October 1, 1867, Mr. Lyon was united in marriage to Miss Sara A. Howard, and to them two children were born, both now married and settled in comfortable homes in this locality. Mary, the elder, is the wife of James C. Squires, while Inez married John Neyens.
Mr. Lyon has always been active in local affairs, and has done much toward promoting the growth of the commercial and agricultural interests of Knox county. During the early days he served as county superintendent of schools, and proved a most popular and efficient official. He is a stockholder and director of the First National Bank of Bazile Mills.
HON. OKELEY E. GREEN.
Okeley E. Green, an able representative of the commercial and financial interests of Nance county, is president of one of the leading banks in Genoa, also one of the large land-owners of this section of the state. He is actively interested in the cattle business, breeding and raising thoroughbred stock, and is quoted as an authority on all matters pertaining to that line of work. With his family, he occupies a beautiful residence in Genoa, and all are popular members of the social life of the pretty little city.
Mr. Green is a native of Astabula county, Ohio, born on March 20, 1854, and when an infant about one year of age, removed with his parents to Illinois, where his childhood was spent. In 1875 he went to Iowa, locating at Walnut, where, in company with his brother, F. H. Green, he engaged in the hardware, implement and grain business. They were very successful in their venture, and carried it on for a number of years, remaining there up to 1883, at which time our subject came to Nebraska, and purchased the Bank of Genoa, and was the sole owner and manager of the same for about thirteen years. He then reorganized the institution, taking in L. L. Green and others, and incorporated it under the name of the Commercial State Bank. In 1899 they again reorganized it as the First National Bank of Genoa, electing Mr. Green as its president, which office he still holds.
Mr. Green is owner of a fine stock farm, comprising fourteen hundred acres, known throughout the entire country as "Cloverdale," which is devoted to the breeding of pure-bred Hereford cattle exclusively, and he has a large herd, containing some of the finest animals of this breed in the west. He also has one thousand acres of highly-cultivated land in South Dakota, all under his personal supervision.
Mr. Green has always taken a foremost part in every movement formulated for the advancement of his county and state. He was school director for twenty years, and in 1888 was elected a member of the Nebraska legislature. The following term he was nominated again, but positively declined re-election, as he desired to devote his time entirely to his various private enterprises; He is a strong democrat, a leader of his party in local affairs.
Mr. Green was married in 1879 at Walnut, Iowa, to Miss Maude M. Perrigo, of Boscobel, Wisconsin, and to them have been born two children, one of whom died in infancy, while a
daughter, Ethel I., married Sherman Leonard. They live at Nampa, Idaho, and are the parents one child, a son.
Our subject is a direct descendant of General Green, of revolutionary fame, who distinguished himself in various famous battles, particularly at Trenton, Princeton, Brandywine, Germantown, etc., and who succeeded General Gates in command of the southern army in 1780. Our subject's father was Leander L. Greene, also prominent in the affairs of his time.
Our subject is prominent in Masonic circles, having been high priest of the local chapter since 1890. He was worshipful master for several years, of his blue lodge. He was the prime mover in organizing the chapter and blue lodge in Genoa.
Mrs. Green also holds a prominent position in social circles. She was grand matron of the Nebraska state Eastern Star for one year, and for several years was a grand officer, and is now local matron of the Genoa Eastern Star, also chairman of the board of the Eastern Star home at Plattsmouth, Nebraska.
Fred Kaczor, proprietor of one of the most valuable estates in Knox county, Nebraska, has been a resident of that locality for fifteen years, and lives on section eleven, township thirty-four, range twelve. He is one of the foremost farmers and stock men, and, after many years' hard labor in building up his business, is now prepared to enjoy the remaining years of his life in peace and comfort.
Mr. Kaczor is a native of Germany, born 1841 in Brandenburg village, province of Prussia. The father died when our subject was a small boy. In 1869 Mr. Kaczor left his native land on a sailboat, and spent fifteen days on the sea. He landed in Canada, where he worked in a tannery, and after a residence of about thirteen years here, went to Holt county, Nebraska, where he bought a tree claim, remaining there fifteen years. In 1895, Mr. Kaczor came to Boyd county, Nebraska, and took up the homestead where he now lives, first putting up a sod house, and later a good frame house.
In 1867, Mr. Kaczor was united in marriage to Miss Tena Aldt, and Mr. and Mrs. Kaczor were the parents of nine children. Mrs. Kaczor died in the year of 1902, deeply mourned by her husband and family, and a host of friends and acquaintances.
John O'Neill, retired farmer, son of Felix and Penelope O'Neill, was born in the state of Massachusetts, February 17, 1848. He was an only child. His father died in 1848, and the mother in 1896.
In 1857, our subject went with his mother to Wisconsin, where they remained two years, from thence going to Minnesota, where they lived one year. From there they went to St. Louis, Missouri, where our subject was employed in the glass factory. Later the family returned to Wisconsin. On January 29, 1870, Mr. O'Neill was married to Miss Mary J. Mathews, of Racine, Wisconsin.
On June 1, 1874, Mr. O'Neill, with his wife and two sons, came across the plains to Boone county, Nebraska, where they homesteaded one hundred and sixty acres of land in section eight, township twenty, range five, west, which remained his home farm until 1903, when Mr. O 'Neill retired from active farm life, and moved to Albion, where they built a fine home in which they now live.
Mr. O'Neill has been prosperous and successful, and owns four hundred acres in Boone county, aside from valuable city property. He is a member of the Albion city school board, and has served seventeen years as a director of his school district, number forty-one. He is also a member of the Ancient Order of United Workmen lodge. Mr. and Mrs. O'Neill have had ten children, eight of whom are living: Phillip B., who resides in South Dakota; John P., married and lives in Albion, and has one daughter; Edith M., who is married to E. J. Brady, has five children, and lives in South Dakota; Mary, married to T. A. Thompson, and lives in Albion; Genevieve, Anna and Frances reside under the parental roof; Catherine and Ellen, who both died in infancy; and Thomas F., who is married, and lives in Oregon.
Mrs. O'Neill has four brothers, one of whom resides in Albion, one in Fremont, Nebraska, another in Palo Alto, California, and the other in the state of Mississippi. Her father died September 21, 1888, and her mother died March 9, 1898.
Mr. O'Neill is one of the early pioneers who has passed through much of Nebraska's history, and met all the discouragements and hardships incidental to pioneer life. He is widely and favorably known, and since 1900 has been president of Boone County Agricultural Association, one of the largest of its kind in Nebraska.
EUGENE W. HUSE.
Eugene W. Huse, editor of the "Wayne Herald," has been reared in a print shop. Coming, as he does, of a journalistic family, it would be strange if he had not made this his vocation.
Mr. Huse was born in Janesville, Minnesota December 14, 1870, and was only two years of age when the family moved to Ponca. Here he attended the town schools, from which he graduated in 1890. Then he began work in the office of the "Ponca Journal," which his father established. In 1899, he accompanied his father to
Klamath Falls, Oregon, where for four years they published the "Klamath Republican." Selling that journal, they returned to northeastern Nebraska in October, 1903, and published the "Wayne Herald" for a year. On the sale of that paper a year later, Mr. Huse was employed by E. Cunningham, the purchaser, to edit and manage it for him, and this arrangement continued two years.
In the fall of 1906, Mr. Huse was employed to take the management of the "Daily Express" at Beatrice, Nebraska. The paper had been used in furthering political ambitions to its detriment, and Mr. Huse was instructed to give attention to building up the paper rather than to fostering political factions. He succeeded beyond the expectations of himself or the owner. Walt Mason, of the "Emporia Gazette," with whom Mr. Huse had become well acquainted in Beatrice, pays him a glowing tribute on his success in managing the "Express."
Mr. Huse returned to Wayne in 1909, bought the "Herald", and is now issuing a twelve-page weekly, all home print, that is not excelled for news and typographical make-up by any of its class in Nebraska.
Mr. Huse was married in Wymore, Nebraska., August 19, 1896, to Miss May Fisher, whom he met while she was visiting a relative in Ponca. She was born in Selins Grove, Susquehanna county, Pennsylvania, a daughter of Benjamin and Lydia (Snyder) Fisher. They have three daughters: Olive, Dorothy and Edith. Mr. Huse is a staunch republican in political views and gives the party candidates his hearty support. He is a member of the Masonic order, the Odd Fellows, the Ancient Order of United Workmen, and the Modern Woodmen of America.
Mr. Huse remembers several of the early blizzards that swept the west since their family came to the state. Ponca was at times threatened with prairie fires in the early days, and all were called out to fight them. Mr. Huse has seen the west in all phases of its development; has seen the old towns that were the first centers of civilization on the frontier wilderness; has seen towns, like mushrooms, spring up over night, and has seen the open, boundless plain develop into a highly cultivated farming community with its pastures, meadows and fields interspersed with groves of fine, tail trees closely resembling those of the original forests further east.
HENRY C. BEAN.
In presenting to the public a history of Nebraska, the list would not be complete without having mentioned the name of the gentleman above named. Mr. Bean is one of the leading old settlers of Platte county, Nebraska, having resided in this locality for the past forty-three years. Henry C. Bean, son of Henry and Abolinia (Kisbert) Bean, was born in Cumbach, Germany, on January 7, 1830. When nineteen years of age, he came to America, landing in New York City.
He remained for a couple of years, and from thence going to Jersey City, where he worked in a whalebone factory. In 1854, Mr. Bean went to California, and engaged in mining, remaining there until the spring of 1859, when he returned to New York for six months. He then returned to his mining interests in California, making this trip by water.
In April, 1866, Mr. Bean was married to Miss Mary Leavey in New York state. Miss Leavey was born in Ireland, but later became a resident of New York state. Mr. and Mrs. Bean soon moved westward, and Mr. Bean was employed by the Union Pacific Railroad Company, which was then extending its line west. Mr. Bean being with the advance work, and reaching the point where Cheyenne, Wyoming, is now located, helped to pitch the first tent in the chosen site of that western city. He later was employed by the government in construction work at Fort Russel, Wyoming. In the fall of 1868, Mr. Bean came with his family to Nebraska, locating in Dawson county, where they resided six months, and then came into Platte county, where he homesteaded one hundred and sixty acres of land in section thirty-four, township seventeen, range one, west, and also pre-empted and timberclaimed three hundred and twenty acres in Holt county.
Mr. Bean and family lived on the homestead for forty-one years, making it a fine and highly improved place, which is situated four and one-half miles southwest of Columbus. Mr. Bean was instrumental in organizing his school district, that of number five, and for over thirty years served in the various offices of its board. He also served as precinct assessor six terms. In 1906, our subject retired from farm life, and moved to Columbus, where he purchased a good home, their present location. Mr. and Mrs. Bean have had nine children born to them, whose names follow: Cornelia L., resides in Chicago; Fred E., who is married, and has one child, and lives on the original homestead; Sophia, now Mrs. Alvin Phillips, lives in Columbus; Nellie who is married to Charles Olcott and has five children resides in Polk county, Nebraska; one infant deceased; Emma, married to Howard Smith who has one child, lives in Colorado Springs, Colorado; George in California, and Charles and Martha, who still reside with their parents.
On September 1, 1860 Mr. Bean enlisted in Company K, Ninth United States Infantry, serving five years. The principal battle he engaged in what was that of Baton Rouge, Louisiana. Later he was on guard duty along the Mississippi river,
and from there was sent to California, Idaho, Oregon and Washington, where he was engaged in fighting Indians, and was wounded in a skirmish with them. He received his discharge in September, 1864, in San Francisco, California, after the war, he visited his old home in Germany for six months.
Mr. Bean is one of the best known men of his county, having, as before stated, resided therein for forty-three years. He has been prosperous and successful.
JOHN FREDERICK HOHNEKE.
Among the leading old settlers and public spirited citizens of Stanton county, Nebraska, the gentleman above mentioned deserves a foremost place. Mr. Hohneke has aided in no slight degree in the development of the agricultural and commercial resources of this region, and has nobly performed his part in advancing the cause of progress in this section of the country.
Mr. Hohneke is one of the adopted sons of our state, and was born in 1860 in the province of Brandenburg, Germany. His early years were spent in his native land, but in 1873, he, with his parents, Fred and Agost Hohneke, came to this country, and, joining in the stream of emigrants going west, came on to Stanton county, where the father took up a homestead located on section two, township twenty-four, range two, east.
The first few years here on the claim were long and hard, owing to the heavy losses of crops occasioned by the ravages of the hordes of grasshoppers. Prospects brightened somewhat later on, however, and conditions improved. They took up a timber claim near by, and among the first things done by the subscriber's father was to plant an orchard and grove on the original homestead claim.
Today there is a remarkably fine tract of orchard and grove, about twelve acres in extent, which forms one of the valuable assets of the subscriber, who still lives on the old homestead. Many improvements have been made since the days when he first came here as a boy. The old log house which was erected with great expenditure of time when they first came, has disappeared, for one thing, in order to make room for a more modern home, a picture of which appears on another page.
In 1886, Mr. Hohneke was united in marriage to Miss Amelia Hellegos.
In 1889, he was again married, to Miss Anna Whittenburg, who is still living. Their home has been blessed with eight children, named as follows: Mary, Minnie, Ella, Edith, Mate, Fred, Henry and Louise.
Mr. Hohneke and his family have always taken a prominent part in all social lines in the neighborhood. Mr. Hohneke himself is reckoned among our most prosperous and substantial citizens, and enjoys the respect of a wide circle of friends.
Residence of J. F. Hohneke.
J. H. LYBOLT.
J. H. Lybolt, one of the old settlers of the region where he chose his home in the early days, occupies a good home and valuable property in section twenty-one, township twenty-six, range six, Antelope county, Nebraska. He has done his share in the upbuilding of his locality, and is well and favorably known throughout this part of the state.
Mr. Lybolt is a native of Schuyler county, New York, where he was born on a farm in 1845, and grew up to his young manhood days in his birthplace, receiving his education in the country schools, and helping his father work the home farm. On June 12, 1862, our subject enlisted in the civil war, Company E, One Hundred Seventh New York Volunteers under Captain Morgan, at Elmyra, New York; was sent to Arlington, Heights, Fort Lyons, Virginia, and while there the regiment was without guns ten days in camp, when after receiving their guns they participated in the second battle of Bull Run, South Mountain and Antietam -- from light of day until after dark-then on to Maryland Heights; then to Harper's Ferry where they felled timber; and under General Burnsides across to Fredericksburg, where our subject was sent on a furlough. He again joined his regiment in May, and was active in the battle of Gettysburg, and served under General Slocum. He participated in the battle of Stevens Station, and from there to Lookout Mountain. General Grant then had command of the army and General Gary of the Second Division; our subject was sent to guard the railroad from Murfreesboro to Chattanooga. On the 4th day of May our subject's regiment broke camp and started with General Sherman on his famous march to Atlanta, starting from Dallas, where they were one hour and fifteen minutes in the battle, and lost one hundred ninety-seven men out of five hundred; they then went to Pumpkin Vine Creek, and then General Sherman took his command around the city of Atlanta, and left our subject's corps, (20th) in front, of the city, and the next day the regiment moved into Atlanta, from where they started to the sea by the way of Davidboro. They were in camp at Savannah all winter. They participated in battles at various points, finally coming to Washington, where our subject with his regiment participated in the Grand Review. Mr. Lybolt was with the oldest regiment in the division. When he enlisted there were one hundred and twelve men in his company, and only sixteen were left to be mustered out on June 4, 1865. After the war our subject returned home and in 1869 started for the west, coming to Saunders county, Ne-
braska where he homsteaded land in southwest quarter, section twenty-two, township fifteen, range six, east, where he remained about twelve years, and in 1879 moved to Antelope county, Nebraska where he took up a tree claim in section twenty-two, township twenty-seven, range six, where he and a friend built a shanty so it would stand on two claims, and here they "batched" it for several years. The grasshoppers and hot winds destroyed all the crops in 1874 and 1875, which made it very hard for a young man without means. They had to burn hay and corn for fuel in those days, corn being six cents a bushel, and they had to go way to the Platte river for wood.
Mr. Lybolt now owns two hundred forty acres of land, twenty-five acres of which are devoted to trees. Mr. Lybolt was married to Miss Margaret Caddock, to which union one child was born: William, who is married to Ethel Baynard, and they are the parents of two children. Mrs. Lybolt died in 1901.
In 1906 Mr. Lybolt was again married, this time to his schooldays sweetheart, Miss Stevens. Her father's land and of our subject's father joined in New York state. Mr. Lybolt's father, Jacob Lybolt, was born in New York, and fought in the war of 1812, and participated in the battle of Sackett's Harbor. Our subject's mother was a native of New Hampshire.
Mr. Lybolt is a member of the I. 0.0. F., Woodmen, and Workmen lodges, and is highly respected by all.
Peter Kuehl, proprietor of one of the most valuable farms in Pierce county, Nebraska, has been a resident of that locality since 1886. He is prominently known throughout the county as one of the foremost farmers and stockmen in Nebraska, and after many years of hard labor in building up his farm is now prepared to enjoy the remaining years of his life in peace and comfort.
Mr. Kuehl is a native of Germany, being born in the village of Hensted, province of Holstein, in May, 1855. Mr. Kuehl's father was Hans Kuehl, who was born in Germany.
Our subject came to America in 1872, landing in New York City after a fourteen days voyage on the ocean, and after spending one and one half days in this city, and several months in Chicago, he went to Clinton county, Iowa; where he lived three years and three months. He then went to Sandusky county, Ohio, where he resided three years, and thence to Douglas county, Nebraska, where he lived eight years, and experienced suffering through the memorable hailstorm of 1884. Mr. Kuehl then took up a homestead in Pierce county, Nebraska, in 1886, situated in the southeast quarter of section three, Dry Creek township, and has been a resident of this county for twenty-four years. He has experienced all the discouraging incidents subject to the early days, and gives an interesting story of the blizzard of 1888. On that memorable day, with his hired man, he started from home at twelve o'clock to go after the children at the school house which was one mile from home. They reached the school house, and with the two children, Lizzie and Henry, started for home, but became lost and did not reach their destination until very late in the evening.
Peter Kuehl was married in 1877, to Miss Sophia Ohm, also a native of Germany, being born at Mechlenberg. They are the parents of eleven children, a fine family, whose names are as follows: Lizzie, Henry, Minnie and Willie, twins, John, Anna, Tillie, Peter, Alice, George, and Herman. Three are married: Lizzie, wife of Charles Wasberg, has two children and lives in the state of Colorado; Henry was married to Miss Elsa Fulton, and they have two children, and Willie, was joined in wedlock to Miss Lizzie Crouse and they have three children.
Mr. Kuehl is a staunch republican, voting that ticket in both state and local elections. He owns four hundred and eighty acres of land in Pierce county.
The name of Irvine is a familiar one to all who have passed any length of time in Howard county, in that this family is among the very earliest settlers of that part of Nebraska, and the gentleman above mentioned has passed through all the ups and downs of pioneer life, ever taking a prominent part in the upbuilding of his county and state.
James Irvine is a native of Lauderdale, Kirkhill village, Scotland, born on October 7, 1846. He was the second child in a family of nine, consisting of seven boys and one girl. His parents were James and Janet. (Lock) Irvine, both of whom were born and reared in Lauderdale. Mr. Irvine grew up in his native country, leaving there for the United States in 1869, and landing in New York on June 8th. His first location was at Kalamazoo, Michigan, where he remained for several months, then went to Cascade, Iowa. There he engaged in farming, but after only one year in the vicinity came on to Nebraska, stopping at Omaha. He was accompanied by his brother George, and two friends, James Baxter and Alex Lamb, arriving in Howard county about the first of April, 1871. Our subject filed homestead rights in southeast quarter, section twenty-four, township fourteen, range twelve, proved up on one hundred and sixty acres, and later sold the land. About 1899 he purchased his present farm which is situated on section sixteen, of which about two hundred and sixty acres are under cultivation. In the fall of 1909; Mr. Irvine purchased
© 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001 for NEGenWeb Project by T&C Miller, P Ebel, P Shipley, L Cook