January 12, 1888, Mr. Kaufman had two horses wander off in the blizzard, but was fortunate in recovering them.
February 2, 1885, Mr. Kaufman was married at Chambers, Holt county, Nebraska, to Miss Alice Eckley, who is a native of Iowa. Five children have resulted from their union, who are named as follows: Charles, Rolland, Fred, Ralph and Ervin.
PETER J. THODE.
Peter J. Thode is one of the younger farmers who have attained success in Nebraska, and belongs to a family that has long been prominent in Sherman county. He passed through the pioneer years of the state, and is in every way a self-made man. He was born in the island of Fermen, province of Holstein, Germany, February 13, 1870, son of Frederich and Gertrude (Heldt) Thode. The father was born in Germany June 10, 1840, and was married in 1868. February 13, 1881, the Thode family, consisting of the father, mother and three children, Maggie, Peter and Anna, set sail for America, crossing the North Sea from Hamburg to Hartlepool, England, embarking for the trans-Atlantic voyage in the American liner "Philadelphia," landing in the city for which the vessel was named. Fred Thode had been a sailor by occupation, and became the owner and master of a small ship; in the fall of 1880 he had encountered a storm and lost his vessel. He had followed the sea for about twenty years, but after coming to America took up a new life and spent his remaining days in farming.
They came west and located on a homestead on section twenty, township sixteen, range fourteen, of Sherman county, Nebraska. Frederich Thode was highly respected as one of the most sturdy and substantial citizens of Sherman county, and was very successful as a farmer and stock man. He resided in Sherman county until his death, August 31, 1909, survived by his wife and four children: Maggie, Peter, Anna and Henry, the last named born in Sherman county. Maggie Thode is the wife of Henry Ronnefeldt, and they live in Grand Island; Anna, the widow of John Heesch, lives in Grand Island; and Henry is married and living in Sherman county.
Peter Thode, whose name heads this article, reached manhood on the old homestead in Sherman county, and remained there until his twenty-sixth year. He was married in Loup City, December 29, 1895, to Minnie Jendrick, who was born in Cass county, Nebraska, a daughter of Ernest and Wilhelmina (Schulz) Jendrick, who came to Cass county in 1870, being among the pioneers of that region. Mr. Jendrick died several years ago, and his widow lives on the farm with her daughter. Mr. Thode and wife have two children, John and Ernest, both at home.
Mr. Thode purchased his present farm on section thirty-five, township sixteen, range fifteen, Sherman county, where he has one hundred and eighty-six acres of rich farming land, in 1899. He has a comfortable residence, built of brick and concrete blocks, and other substantial buildings. He is a public-spirited citizen and is well liked for his reliability and integrity in all relations of life. He has been actively identified with the development of the county, and is a wide-awake man of affairs. He served from 1899 to 1904 as county supervisor.
An uncle of Mr. Thode, Chris Thode, now a resident of Denver, Colorado, was an early settler of Sherman county, where he came in 1872.
The first residence of the Thode family was a rude dugout with a brush and straw roof; this the father soon replaced with a sod house and covered it with a thatched roof, such as are in use in the old country, which kept them dry where other roofs leaked and dripped for days at a time. Their first years were years of hardship; little was raised in 1893, nothing in 1894, and hail destroyed their crops in 1895, but since those days prosperity has crowned their efforts.
Mr. Thode is independent in politics, and a member of the Ancient Order of United Workmen. The family are members of the Lutheran church.
It is a noteworthy fact that many of the old settlers of our western states who have contributed most largely to the development of all resources of this region, are emigrants from the north of Europe. The Scandinavian countries, Denmark and Germany, have sent many of their sons and daughters to create new homes in the newer country. Peter Nissen, the subject of this sketch, for instance, is a native of Denmark, born in 1859, the son of John and Katie Nissen.
He spent his childhood and youth in his native land, but in 1884 he left it all to come to America. He came first to Shelby county, Iowa, where he remained on a farm only two years. Later he came to Cedar county, Nebraska, where he purchased a hundred and sixty acres of school land, which he has since improved in every way, until now it is really a model farm.
In 1887, Mr. Nissen was united in marriage to Miss Leila Ferdensen, a native of Denmark. Their union has been blessed with seven children, named as follows: John, 0la, August, Dora, Esther, Dagmar and Ninne.
Mr. Nissen is widely and favorably known as a prosperous farmer and as an intelligent, energetic and worthy citizen.
Lewis Parker, known throughout his section and the surrounding country as a prosperous farmer and estimable citizen, has been a resident of Merrick county, Nebraska, the forty-two years
of his lifetime, and has aided materially in the development of that portion of Nebraska. Our subject is a man of active public spirit, and has gained prominence as a citizen of true worth.
Lewis Parker was born on the old homestead farm in Merrick county, Nebraska, on section fourteen, township thirteen, range six, December 26, 1869, and grew up on the farm, and is one of the early Merrick county native born children.
On January 1, 1860, Jason Parker, grandfather of our subject, drove the stakes that bounded his newly acquired possessions, and in March brought his family out to share the fortunes of the great west. Mr. Parker's original claim lies just west and down the river from the farm taken up by his son, Frank Parker. Frank Parker was married to Sarah Eatough in Merrick county, in January, 1865, and Lewis Parker, the principal subject of this sketch, is the son of Frank and Sarah Parker. "Uncle" Jason Parker, the grandfather of our subject, and family, are said to be the first family to make Merrick county their permanent home. Jason Parker and son, Frank Parker, were men who had much to do with the upbuilding of Merrick county, and in the old overland stage days the Jason Parker ranch was a favorite resort. Uncle Jason was a man of decided opinions, kindly disposition, and honesty, and was beloved by all who knew him; a man who had unlimited opportunities to amass wealth, yet went to his grave practically a poor man in property, but extremely rich in love of his children, and having the respect of all.
Lewis Parker, subject of this sketch, is a worthy descendant of his grandfather, "Uncle" Jason Parker, and his father, Frank Parker, and has always stuck to the old homestead farm, and well remembers the early Merrick county pioneer days. His father, Frank Parker, was the first appointed sheriff of the county. Our subject is a successful man, and has been a prominent factor in the upbuilding of his home county. Mr. Parker has not entered actively in politics, but served as supervisor of his township in 1907 to 1909, inclusive, and a member of his school board in district number twenty.
Mr. Parker was married February 6, 1895, to Leona Berryman, at the home of her uncle, Bell Berryman, in Central City. Mr. and Mrs. Parker have had four children born to them: Mary Edgarda, Lewis Harold, Lewis Truman and Ruth. The two last named died in infancy.
William Graham is a native of England and was born on his father's farm in Cumberlandshire, near the borders of Scotland, November 24, 1851. He learned the carpenters' trade and worked at his vocation in many cities throughout the two countries. He had been thus employed in Glasgow some five years at the time if his immigration to the states. His decision to come was sudden, only three days elapsing between his first thought of a trip across the seas and his coming. An old Scotchman from Janesville, Wisconsin, had a longing to see his native heath again, and while in Glasgow became too feeble to return home alone, and it was suggested that Mr. Graham accompany him on the voyage. Sailing from Glasgow in the early weeks of 1880 on the "Anchoria," they landed in New York after eight days of an ocean voyage, and came directly to the west. In passing through Chicago, Mr. Graham was offered work at his trade, and after a few days' visit in Janesville, he accepted the position and was employed in Chicago some months.
In May, Mr. Graham came west to Nebraska, and was in Niobrara at the time of the great flood in the spring of 1881. He was employed for a time moving the town from the river bank to a higher situation a few miles south and worked at his trade here until the fall of 1882, when he same to Creighton, opened a hardware and implement store, and remained in business until June, 1903, when he retired, and is taking life easy in the thrifty little city of his adoption. During the summer of 1904, he took his entire family to his old home in England where they spent the season with their English kin. Mr. Graham had made a previous visit there some years before.
When Mr. Graham first came here there were no houses on the prairies between Creighton and Bloomfield, but thousands of cattle ranged over the hills; the land might then have been bought for five dollars an acre, while now it is worth twenty times that amount. Antelope were still to be seen on the prairies west of town, though they were driven to the westward in a few years' time. So rapid and so great have been the changes in the thirty years Mr. Graham has been a citizen of the Cornhusker state, that a newcomer can form but the vaguest conception of what this country was in the pioneer days.
William Graham is a son of John and Elizabeth (Johnson) Graham, whose ancestors have lived in this region for many centuries, handing down the farm to the eldest son generation after generation.
Mr. Graham was first married December 16, 1885, to Mary, daughter of James Hindman, who died May 16, 1888. One daughter was born to them: Eva, who married Paul Weaver, and has one son, Paul Graham Weaver. Mr. Graham was again married, this time to Lucinda E., daughter of Jackson Woodward, who died January 16,1907. A son, William, was born to them.
Mr. Graham is a member of the Congregational church, and affiliates with the Ancient Order of United Workmen.
Among the worthy citizens that have come from Missouri to Nebraska, Martin Hull, of Butte, is not the least worthy of mention. He was born in Schuyler county, November 29, 1843, but was reared in Boone county, Iowa, whither his father moved when the boy was about four years old.
At the outbreak of the civil war, Mr. Hull enlisted in Company D, Sixteenth Iowa, on December 23, 1861, and re-enlisted on January 4, 1864, in the same company and regiment, serving up to July, 1865, when he received his discharge at Louisville, Kentucky. During his term of service he participated in the battles of Shiloh, Corinth, Iuka, the Siege of Vicksburg and Atlanta, battle of Kenesaw Mountain, and was with Sherman's army on its march to the sea. He was within nine miles of Lee's army at the time of the surrender at Appamatox, and was at the same place when the news of Lincoln's assassination reached them.
After returning to his Iowa home at the close of the war, Mr. Hull was married, and immediately rented a farm and began for himself. He was very successful in tilling the soil, until migrating to Nebraska, where he first settled in Brown county on the Niobrara river in May, 1885. During the summer he crossed over to Keya Paha county, and pre-empted a quarter section near Springview. This he sold five years later, removing to Cherry county, eight miles east of Fort Niobrara. Much of his time during those early years was spent in cutting and hauling cord-wood for J. M. Thatcher, who was a trader, at the post. In the spring of 1891, he came into Boyd county, and filed on a homestead, located three miles and a half southwest from the newly organized county seat. There he worked faithfully at farming until October, 1900, at which time he retired from active farm work and came to Butte for residence, since then making that his home. He has a comfortable home here and is taking life easy on a well merited competency.
Mrs. Hull's maiden name was Laura E. Lott, whose mother died when she was less than two years old. Her father, Henry Lott, was quite a character in Iowa during the early days of settlement. He was born in Pennsylvania and came to Iowa in 1843, and traded with the Sac and Fox Indians at Red Rock, Marion county, up to 1845, when those tribes were removed beyond the Missouri river. Mr. Lott then located near the mouth of the Boone river and traded with the Sioux Indians, the chief of whom, Si-dom-i-na-dota, was unfriendly to the newcomer, allowing his band to harass him in many ways, and on one of their winter raids, so frightening Mr. Lott's wife that she died a few days afterwards; while one son, who was out trying to find his father , was overcome with fatigue and cold and was found by settlers several days later several miles down the Des Moines river, dead in the snow.
Many years later the Historical society of Iowa erected a monument to the memory of Mr. Lott. After the mother's death the family was scattered. A boy, John, was adopted by a family named White, and is now known by their name, and a sister, Mrs. Henriette Duckworth, lives in Missouri. Mr. Lott remained in that vicinity long enough to wreak vengeance on the Indian chief who had caused him such sorrow, himself and squaw being killed by a band of whites with Mr. Lott at their head, and, the Indians soon after left the section.
His name has been indelibly engraven in Iowa's history, and a lasting monument to the same is found in the Lott Creek, which was named in his honor.
Mr. and Mrs. Hull have had twelve children, seven of whom are living, as follows: Emma, wife of Enoch Zenor, of Rapid City, South Dakota; Albert, a homesteader in Mead county, South Dakota; Maude, wife of William Holt, of Smithwick, South Dakota; Lott, who lives in Butte; Mary, wife of William Wright; Dora, wife of Len Gormley, both residing in Butte; and Harry, also holding down a claim near Smithwick, South Dakota, and who is editor of the leading newspaper of that town.
Mr. Hull is a republican, and a prominent, member of the Grand Army of the Republic. Himself and wife are regular attendants at the Congregational church, and among the popular old timers of the section.
STEVEN D. AVERY.
Steven D. Avery, now deceased, was for many years one of the foremost citizens Oakland precinct. He was one of the substantial men of his region, whose integrity, industry, thrift and economy have added so much to the wealth and growth of Nebraska. He lived to a ripe old age. and his demise was deeply felt by the people of his community who knew so well the influence for good which he had always exercised for the welfare of the entire region.
Mr. Avery was born in New Hampshire on June 13, 1833, and made that state his residence until he was thirty-eight years of age, being engaged in the shoe manufacturing business for a number of years. He was a soldier in the civil war, serving nearly the whole time of the struggle, and participating in many famous battles. During the battle of Fair Oaks he was severely wounded, receiving two gunshot wounds which disabled him for the balance of his life. He served in Company D, Fifth New Hampshire Volunteers. After receiving his discharge, he re-enlisted and was commissioned captain, but the war closed at about this time, so he was not
called into active service.
In 1871, Mr. Avery came to Nebraska, locating on a quarter section of homestead land in Boone county, this land being a part of the City Of Albion at the present time. He was married in December, 1873, to Miss Ellen S. Counsell, who was born and raised in England, coming to the United States with her parents in 1866. Mrs. Avery's parents were John and Theresa Counsell, both born in England and early settlers in Boone county. During the early days they went through the usual pioneer experiences, and from the first Mr. Avery took an active interest in the affairs of the county,. acting as an immigration agent for the state of Nebraska. He was also justice of the peace for many years. He succeeded in developing a good farm, and at the time of his death was classed among the well to-do men of his locality, he and his family being prominent in the educational and social affairs of their community. He died on October 13, 1900, in Petersburg, after an illness of eighteen years, survived by his wife and seven sons, the latter named as follows: Frank, who with his family lives in Colorado; John, now in Montana; Fred and Jesse, both at home; William, a well known farmer living near Petersburg; Edward, now in Idaho, and Ernest, who lives at Beatrice, Nebraska.
Mr. Avery was the fourth of nine sons, eight of whom served in the civil war, two being killed while in service.
Mrs. Avery's mother died in August, 1888, and her father in October, 1895. She has three sisters, two of whom reside in Albion, and the other is living in Omaha. Another died in Boone county in 1892, and a brother was accidentally drowned in Iowa, in August, 1867. Mrs. Avery is still occupying the old home in Petersburg, where she is surrounded by a large circle of friends. She is a woman of superior ability in a business way, having been a homesteader previous to her marriage. She proved up on one hundred and sixty acres situated on section twenty-two, township twenty-two, range seven, and during the pioneer times thought nothing of walking the distance of fifteen miles from this claim to the little postal station of Dresser, which was on the ground where Albion is now located. During these trips she was obliged to wade creeks where the water in places reached to her waist. She also helped build the first shanty which was her dwelling for a number of years.
J. R. MORRIS.
The above named gentleman is an able representative of the farming community of Wayne county, Nebraska, and has resided in this section of the country for over a quarter of a century. He is a man of considerable energy and by his strict integrity has become one of the highly esteemed and respected citizens of this locality.
Mr. Morris was born in 1850 in Wales, and was the son of Robert and Katherine Morris, natives of the same land. In 1870, when only twenty years old, he left his native country and came to America. Nearly all of his education was received in Wales, although he did receive one year's schooling in America.
Our subscriber spent a number of years in Iowa, a few months in each place, until he came to Red Oak, in 1874. He remained there ten years. He was farming during the greater part of this period, and finally, in 1884, decided to seek, a home for himself in another state. In that year he came to Wayne county, and purchased the farm of one hundred and sixty acres which has since been his home. He added one improvement after another, as fast as circumstances would warrant, and now has one of the finest farms in the precinct. Mr. Morris has made a specialty of sheep raising, although he follows diversified farming, too. He added to his first purchase until he owned over one thousand acres, but has deeded a part of it to his children, and now owns five hundred and sixty acres.
Mr. Morris came into the state a little too late to have the misfortune of losing one crop after another by reason of the grasshoppers, but he has not entirely escaped loss. During the blizzard of January 12, 1888, he lost considerable stock. On the whole, he has met with signal success in his chosen calling. His estate is known as the Star Stock Farm.
In 1873, Mr. Morris was united in marriage to Miss Elizabeth Hughes, of Louisa county, Iowa, and they are the parents of seven children, named as follows: Lot, Robert Bonner, Caradoe, Newton, Llewelyn, Celyn and Ivor.
Robert Marwood, a prominent farmer and stockman living on section six, township twenty-five, range seven, is well known throughout Antelope county as a progressive and successful agriculturalist, highly esteemed by all with whom he has had to do. He has lived many years in this section of the country and has been a part of the growth and development of this region, building up for himself a substantial home and fortune by his perseverance and thrift, and has come to be one of the foremost citizens in Antelope county.
Mr. Marwood was born July 20, 1835, in Rommelkirk, Yorkshire, England, a son of Henry and Mary Marwood. After growing to his young manhood he learned the blacksmith's trade, and later entered the locomotive works at Middlesboro, advanced from the first to the "high fire" in four years and was offered a foremanship; from here he went to London where he worked at
his trade in the shops receiving two shillings a week more than the other men.
In 1856, Mr. Marwood was married to Jane Ann Harwood, who is also a native of England, being born at Walton, Durhamshire, in 1834. Five children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Marwood, namely: Henry, who is married to Miss Carrie Moses, having eight children, they live three miles east of the home farm; James, died when a small child; Thomas, who is married to Miss Ida Hitchcock, and lives at the southeast corner of Clearwater; Samuel Dwight, is in the American navy; Jane, deceased, was the wife of Mr. Grenau; Lizzie and Rosa at home; Richard, married Miss Lottie Everhard, and lives in Seattle; he is a graduate of the college at Yankton.
In 1866, Mr. Marwood with his family left England for America, they having heard the glowing accounts of fortunes to be made and land to be had for almost nothing in the new world, for in the shops where he had worked one man usually read to the rest of the workmen and had a paper from America that gave an account of our homestead laws. They sailed from Liverpool, England, early in April, 1866, on the steamer "City of Manchester" and were thirteen days on the water and one in quarantine. An uncle of Mr. Marwood lived in Wisconsin and when the family got there they did not have money to go any further nor to take up a homestead. They remained in Wisconsin for about three and a half years. Mr. Marwood secured repair work in the mills at Little Grant, receiving fifty cents all hour and was employed there for three months when he opened a blacksmith and repair shop across from the mill and soon had all the work he could do. He saved his earnings and when he had accumulated one thousand dollars, he removed with the family to Antelope county, settling in Ord township when there was not another white man in the whole township. In coming west Mr. Marwood loaded some of their belongings into a wagon he had made for that purpose in his own shop and started across the country. They crossed the Mississippi river from Prairie du Chien to McGregor and were three weeks on the way before reaching Council Bluffs. It was the summer of almost continuous rains, making the roads almost impassable and at Tama City, Iowa, Mr. Marwood shipped a lot of his goods by rail to Council Bluffs. This was delayed on the road and caused them a wait of two days. Driving to Fremont Mr. Marwood left his family and came on to Antelope county, located his claim and returned for his family. He filed on a homestead of one hundred and sixty acres, on which he built a log house, which still stands back of a beautiful home which Mr. Marwood built later on. He also filed on a timber claim on which he had growing twenty-three thousand three hundred and forty trees at the time he proved up; this was the first under this act of congress. So fine was the grove that the land commissioner at Washington wrote him asking his method of culture. He also secured a pre-emption, to which he secured title. When Mr. Marwood put up his log cabin with the help of a friend he laid up the logs in a single day. It was necessary, of course, to chink and cover it which was done as rapidly as possible, but space between the edges of the roof and top logs had not been filled nor had the door been made when, on January 15, 1870, a few days after the family moved in, one of the worst blizzards of the early days descended upon them. A wagon cover hung at the door kept out the wind and snow fairly well, but it blew in under the eaves so plentifully that Mr. Marwood had to suspend a sheet over the bed to keep the snow from covering them, and this sheet had to be shaken out several times through the night so thickly was it blown in over the top logs. The cabin was thoroughly closed before the next storm. On the first of the following March, another blizzard broke, but Mr. Marwood and his family were at the house of a neighbor to whom he had loaned his horses to pursue Indians that had stolen nearly all the horses in the neighborhood.
Many neighbors congregated here for protection against a fancied attack of the Indians and on suggestion of someone standing guard outside none would volunteer until Mr. Marwood offered to be one of the pickets, Louis Portras offered to be picket with him and the two paced up and down the whole night through to keep from freezing. Occasionally they would go in, one at a time to drink a cup of hot coffee. They learned later that no Indains [sic] were within miles of them.
At the time of the flood of the Elkhorn river in May, 1881, following the winter of the deep snow a wall of water eight feet high swept down the valley submerging many of the farms. Mr. Marwood's house was above the flood, but the water surrounded it and lay a foot deep in their garden, which had been growing nicely up to that time, but which was a mud covered waste when the water receded. In the blizzard of January 12, 1888, Mr. Marwood was in several hours of the blast in getting his cattle that had drifted to the grove, into the sheds.
Mr. Marwood understands fully the vicissitudes of life; he having at one time been without a cent for three months, he couldn't write a letter for three months for lack of a three cent stamp. He bore up as bravely as possible under this trying time, as did also his good wife, neither making complaint, one fearing to utterly discourage the other. But they stayed and persevered through all the hard times that an early settler must experience in those days, and now Mr. Marwood owns twenty-six hundred acres of the finest land in the state, of which timber covers two hundred and fifty acres. When our subject and family came to this locality, this country was a wilderness, there being but a few
settlers for miles around. The Indians were camped along Elk Horn river, and the pioneer settlers experienced many dangers and scares from the red skins. At one time the Indians went on the war path, which caused the settlers to abandon their homesteads for a time, they going further down the river away from the zone of danger and remaining there until the following spring; but Mr. Marwood, possessing the tenacity of his race remained sleeping in the manger with his gun by him to prevent the Indians stealing his horses, but as he had always fed them when hungry they passed his stables by, but gathered in nearly every other horse in the country. Mr. Marwood remained on his farm and raised a fine crop, and was enabled to supply the wants of the refugees who had been frightened away and in consequence had sowed nothing and of course had nothing to reap. Many times in those days Mr. Marwood fought prairie fires to save his home and possessions; once the flames crossed the river and leaped the fire guards, consuming eleven stacks of wheat and three of oats, a heavy loss in those days. Columbus, Wisner and Yankton were the nearest markets, each seventy-five miles away.
Mr. Marwood had the distinction of being the first county treasurer of Antelope county; there was no county seat established, and the residents of that locality came to Mr. Marwood's house to pay taxes. Mr. Marwood is a stockman of considerable repute, and well known throughout his section of the state, he formerly shipped four hundred head of cattle every year, but of late has reduced the number to less than one hundred.
David McClintock who resides on section twenty-six, township twenty-four, range seven, in Antelope county, Nebraska, is one of the oldest settlers in the valley, and has done his full share in the betterment of conditions throughout the community in which he lives, On every hand he is named as a successful farmer and good citizen. A view of the family residence is presented on another page.
Mr. McClintock was born January 7, 1844, in Somerset county, Pennsylvania. His father, Robert McClintock, was born July 8, 1809, in Pennsylvania, and died May 20, 1884. His mother was Evelyn McNair before her marriage to our subject's father, and was born in Pennsylvania; her father came from Pennsylvania, but their ancestors came from Ireland. Great Grandfather McClintock served in the revolutionary war and participated in the battle of Bunker Hill. On July 4, 1871, Mr. McClintock was united in marriage to Miss Minirva Handby, and they are the parents of six children, whose names are as follows: John Ashley, Josia Robert, Merva, who was born 1876, died in 1877; David, married to Ida Troxell; August and Susie. David McClintock moved from Pennsylvania to West Liberty, Iowa, in 1864, returning a short time later to Pennsylvania: and then back to West Liberty, Iowa, where he remained one year. He then worked as a carpenter in Polk and Warren counties, Iowa, being married at Norwalk, Warren county, Iowa, in 1871. In 1872, Mr. McClintock with his family came to Nebraska, settling in Antelope county. They drove from Somerset, Warren county, Iowa, where our subject had lived for four years. They drove the finest team of horses that had come to Antelope county up to that time. After arriving here, Mr. McClintock took up a homestead claim in section twenty-six, township twenty-four, range seven, where he built a dugout and lived for nine years. In 1881 he sold out and moved to California and from thence to Pennsylvania. He then bought the northwest quarter of section twenty-six, township twenty-four, range seven, from his brother and immediately returned to Nebraska and settled where he now lives. Here the McClintock family experienced as many if not more hardships and dangers than any of the. old settlers who came to the western frontier, on account of their early coming to this country. Their nearest market place was at Columbus, seventy miles distant, and Yankton, eighty miles away which was a river town. They suffered many losses and hardships through grasshopper raids, during the years of 1873-74 and 1875; during the blizzards of 1873 and 1888; hot winds that destroyed all their crops; and they fought prairie fires many times to save their home and possessions. On October 15, 1878, in the effort to save his home Mr. McClintock had a narrow escape and was severely burned, losing all the hair off his head and face. The fire burned right up to the house, but he with several neighbors put up a gallant fight and by back-firing they saved the home. Mrs. McClintock was the first white woman to settle in this section of Antelope county.
Residence of David McClintock.
Among the leading old settlers and public spirited citizens of Antelope county, Nebraska, the gentleman above mentioned deserves a foremost place. Mr. Meuret resides on his fine farm of one hundred and sixty acres, in sections seven and eight, township twenty-eight, range eight, where he has a well improved farm and a good orchard and a grove of fine trees.
Mr. Meuret is a native of Rock county, Wisconsin, born May 26, 1859. His father, Frank Meuret, is a native of France, and came from that country to America in 1861, from Belfour province, off village. Our subject's brother, Thomas, came to Nebraska in the early days, taking up a claim, but later died. This claim was
left to his father, and upon the father's death it was left to our subject. Mr. Meuret came to Antelope county in 1899.
In 1874, Mr. Meuret was united in marriage to Miss Lucy Churchill, who is of English descent, but a native of Wisconsin. Mr. and Mrs. Meuret are the parents of three children: Annie, who is married to Nelson S. Hendricks, lives in Orchard; they have four children. Olive M., married Chauncy Everhart, a printer, and they reside in Neligh; Louis is the third child. The family enjoys the highest regard and esteem of all whom they know, and are surrounded by a host of warm friends. Mr. Meuret devotes his entire time and attention to the building up of his home and ranch and has met with deserved success.
Mr. Meuret takes great interest in local affairs and was elected a director for school district number thirty for the term beginning in 1909, and ending in 1912. He has a splendid farm equipped with modern conveniences and follows stock raising to a considerable extent, having a herd of about twenty cattle, ten horses and several head of thoroughbred registered Poland China hogs. A picture of Mr. Meuret's residence will be found on another page of this work.
Home of Henry V. Meurey.
The well developed farms in Spring Creek precinct contribute largely to the wealth and prosperity enjoyed in Howard county. One of the highly cultivated tracts is owned and operated by John Obermiller, who resides on section nine, and is one of the well known and deservedly esteemed men of his community. He is an old settler of Nebraska, and by his faithful efforts to improve his circumstances and advance the growth of his locality has placed himself among its prosperous and worthy citizens.
Mr. Obermiller was born in Germany, on November 8, 1850, and at the age of eighteen years left his native land and emigrated to the United States, landing in this country in the spring of 1868. His first location was in Omaha, where he remained for a few months, then moved into Hall county and secured work on a farm, spending about one year there. He afterwards was in the employ of the Union Pacific railway company, working in the car department of their plant for several years, then returned to his old home place in Germany where he spent the winter of 1878 with his father and mother. He came back to United States in the following spring and became connected with the construction department of the Union Pacific Railway company, working in Wyoming for some time, then started as a brakeman on a freight train traveling between Sidney and Cheyenne, and later secured a passenger run between Cheyenne and Laramie, Wyoming. He also worked on a baggage train from Council Bluffs to Cheyenne, and from Council Bluffs to Denver, having this run for about eight years. He was one of the pioneer railroad men in Nebraska. In 1888 he quit the service and located permanently in Howard county, purchasing land on sections eight and nine, township fifteen, range nine. and built up a good farm of about one hundred and fifty acres, which he has carried on up to the present time. He has been very successful in farming and stock raising, and has made money, devoting his entire attention to his work.
Mr. Obermiller was married on November 8, 1880, in Boone county, Iowa, to Lillian Warner, who was born and reared in Pennsylvania. They are the parents of four children, three of whom are now living, namely: Oda, wife of George Pratt, living in Minnesota, May, a public school teacher in Howard county, and Osman, on the farm.
SIDNEY H. CRIPPEN.
Mr. Sidney H. Crippen, of Plainview, Nebraska, has been familiar with northern Nebraska since 1878, having preceded his father to the country two years.
Sidney H. Crippen was born in Rutland township, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, July 23, 1846, and resided there until his migration to Nebraska, He was engaged in lumbering and saw mill work, that being a heavily timbered country in those days.
His parents, Daniel and Annie (Hodges) Crippen, were natives of Pennsylvania and New York. respectively. The father was also engaged in lumbering and rafting, following that vocation down the Tioga, Chemung and Susquehanna rivers to tide-water in Chesapeake Bay, and in 1880 he came to Nebraska, and filed on a homestead in Antelope county, near the line of Pierce county. He died here in June, 1894, and the mother died in October, 1908. Another son, Joseph, lives on Willow Creek, in Antelope county.
Sidney H. Crippen first came to Nebraska in the fall of 1878, and, with four companions, left the railroad at Columbus, whence they proceeded on foot - the better to see the country - to Albion, where they spent a fortnight with an old Tioga county friend. Not seeing anything to their liking, the five friends came to Neligh by wagon, and thence to the north end of Antelope county, where within an hour all had selected homesteads and cast their lots with Nebraska.
Mr. Crippen farmed in Antelope county some ten miles southwest from Plainview for twelve years, when he sold his farm and moved to town, now being engaged in well drilling and house moving. For two years he served as city marshal and an equal period as night watchman.
In November, 1909, he was elected for his tenth term as constable, which, if he finishes his term will round out twenty years in the office. On one occasion, in November, 1904, when there was
© 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001 for NEGenWeb Project by T&C Miller, P Ebel, P Shipley, L Cook