father. The fire came within a few rods of the house before it burned out. Fierce storms were another source of worry and anxiety at times. At the time of the memorable blizzard, January 12, 1888, Mr.Bitney was a mile from the house when the storm came on, and had considerable difficulty in finding his way home. Two of the children were at school, but made no attempt to reach home, remaining with their Uncle Eli. In the blizzard of October, 1880, the threshers had reached Mr. Bitney's and were ready to open the stack. Mr. Bitney, however, objected as the weather was threatening. The events that followed proved the wisdom of postponing the threshing operations. Two families from Dakota who were looking for land in the neighborhood at that time were storm bound at the home of Mr. Bitney for three days, when the storm abated, permitting them to go on their way.
   Deer and antelope were to be found in great numbers in those days, roaming the country at will. At one time, nine deer crossed Mr. Bitney's place and two deer wintered in a grove near his home. Frequently deer were to be seen grazing with the cattle.
   The early settler who braved the dangers and hardships of pioneer life, has, however, been well paid, not only in a financial of mercenary way, but in the satisfaction he has in looking backwards and comparing the tremendous advancement that has been made in the development of the country and knowing that it was through his efforts and that of his pioneer neighbors that this was brought about.
   A view of Mr. Bitney's place will be found on another page in this work.

Residence of Lewis Bitney.


   Mano Frey, the subject of this personal history, has done his full share in helping the old settlers build up the farming interests in eastern Nebraska,. He is a resident of Pierce county, where he owns two hundred acres of land with good improvements and a fine grove, in section twenty-nine, township twenty-five range two.
   Mr. Frey was born August 28, 1854, in Montgomery county, Pennsylvania. He is a son of Edward Frey, born in 1822, and died in 1887, and Susanna (Reinhart) Frey, born in 1823, and died in April, 1880. Mr. Frey comes of old American stock, his ancestors having lived in Pennsylvania for several generations. Edward Frey, with his family, came to Cuming county, Nebraska, in 1868, driving from Omaha to West Point, where he filed on a homestead. Here they endured the dreadful blizzard of March 17, 18 and 19, 1869, one of the worst Nebraska has ever known; they had to bring their chickens into the house and put the pigs in the cellar to save them. They experienced all the hardships and drawbacks of the early days; produce was hauled from West Point to Omaha, the nearest market place. The elder Frey kept a small store at West Point, freighting the few goods handled from Omaha. At many of the mudholes the loads in the wagons were carried piece by piece on the heads of the men and then the empty wagons drawn over by long chains. They suffered losses through the blizzard of 1873, a great number of their cattle having perished; and also through the grasshopper raids of 1873, 1874 and 1875, as they took the entire crops during those seasons.
   Illustrative of the hardships endured by the early comers, it is well to relate that one winter Mr. Frey and a brother hauled eighty-eight cords of wood from the Missouri river, thirty-five miles distant, making two trips a week. Often their feet were frozen to their boots, and frequently they slept in open barns, sometimes lacking even that meager protection. But their mother always had coffee and warm food waiting for them no matter at what hour of the night they might return.
   Mano Frey was married September 8, 1876, to Miss Ida Pribnow, whose parents, Christian and Wilhelmina (Kraus) Pribnow, were born near the city of Brandenburg, Prussia. They were early settlers in Nebraska, having secured a homestead five miles southeast of West Point, hauling the lumber for their house from Fremont, thirty-five miles. They lived for the first four months in a sod house they found on the place. The father died in April, 1887, at the age of sixty-nine years, and the mother in February, 1887, at the age of sixty-seven years.
   Mr. and Mrs. Frey are the parents of eight children, named as follows: Wellington, Ellen, Minnie, John, Leo, Lillian, Ida and Vern, four of whom are married. Wellington, married Annie Albricht; Minnie, married Wilton Hayne and has three children; Ellen, married Charles Russell. and has three children, and John, married Josephine Ottmann.
   Mr. Frey, with his family, came to Pierce county in 1902, where he rented one year near Osmond and then settled on his present farm of two hundred acres of well improved land. He is highly respected by all who know him. He votes the republican ticket, and was reared in the Evangelical church.



   Carl O. Schlytern, now deceased, was a man prominent in all affairs of his county during his lifetime, and who had always taken a firm stand for prohibition. He served as chairman of the Dannebrog city council, also was treasurer of the school board for many years, was known far and wide for his upright character and integrity.
   Mr. Schlytern was born in Sweden on April 2, 1823, and grew up in that country. He made



his home in northern Sweden during his younger years, engaged in the lumber business, and was prominently known as in extensive lumber exporter for a number of years. He was married there to Anna S. Sjoding, in 1844, and they remained in Sweden up to 1871, then our subject came to America accompanied by his eldest son, the latter locating in Chicago, while his father came on west and settled in Howard county, Nebraska, where he purchased a tract of three thousand acres of land in the locality of Dannebrog and Nysted. After a short time spent in getting his affairs started, he returned to Sweden and settled up his business interests there, then came back to America, bringing with him two daughters, all coming to Howard county with him. The homestead was situated about two miles southwest of Dannebrog, and here all went to work to develop a farm. In August, 1873, Mr. Schlytern sent for the balance of his family to join them, consisting of his wife, a daughter and son. They immediately came on from their home in Sweden, and on arrival all were delighted with their new location. They lived on the farm for over ten years, when the father retired from active work and removed with his wife into Dannebrog, where he engaged in the banking business, conducting the same up to the time of his death, which occurred on September 16, 1894. His widow, now eighty-eight years of age, still resides at the family residence in Dannebrog, and enjoys the companionship of a large circle of devoted friends.
   Mr. Schlytern's family consisted of eleven children, as follows: Caroline, still living in Sweden, and employed as government telegraph operator; Hilda, married, also living in Sweden; Anna, with her mother; Agnes, wife of John Mark; they are the parents of four children, and reside in Wyoming; Charles E., of Chicago, president of the Union Bank of that city; John G., married and living in Howard county with his family, a sketch of whose career follows this. Five children of our subject died while the family lived in Sweden.



   John G. Schlytern, residing in Howard county, and counted among the leading citizens of his locality, is the youngest son of our subject. He was born in Sweden on October 7, 1863, and came to America with his mother and sister, joining the rest of the family who had come over some little time before. He was quite a young boy on arriving here, and received his early education in the public schools of Howard county, later attending the Luther Academy, which is a Swedish school located at Wahoo, Nebraska, spending about four years at this academy. From 1893 to 1898, he held the position of postmaster of Dannebrog, and has served as village clerk for over twenty years. He has been on the school board for the past number of years, and is a prominent member of the community in every capacity. Politically he is a democrat.
   In March, 1891, Mr. Schlytern was married to Mary Erickson, who is a native of this county, born of Danish parents, the latter early settlers here, and well known pioneers. Five children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Schlytern, namely: Edith M., Christian O., Helen S. C., Charles E., and Leonard G., all at home.
   Mr. Schlytern is engaged in the real estate and insurance business and has a large clientage throughout the county and vicinity.



   One of the finest residences in Valley county is owned and occupied by John H. Hogue, now living retired from active farm work, in Arcadia, Nebraska. Mr. Hogue, has well earned the rest he now enjoys by many years of hard work and is respected as au upright, reliable citizen. He is a native of DeKalb county, Indiana, born November 1, 1850, the fourth of seven children born to John and Cornelia (Pray) Hogue, both parents being natives of the state of New York. The father, who was of Irish and English extraction, was born in 1814 and died in Indiana in 1896, and the mother, of New England parentage and English descent, was born January 26, 1817, and died in Indiana in January, 1899. John H. Hogue has two brothers and one sister in Indiana, and others of the children are deceased.
   Mr. Hogue attended the country schools of Indiana, engaging in farming when he reached young manhood. November 14, 1871, he was married in DeKalb county, Indiana, to Miss Olive R. Grimm, also a native of that state. Her mother died when she was six weeks old, and she was at once adopted by Mr. John J. Grimm and wife, who had recently lost a child of her age. Site was reared as one of their own children and would never have known she was not their own child had not a school girl told her, as her foster parents never spoke of her own kin. In the spring of 1884 Mr. Hogue came with his wife and three children to Valley county, Nebraska, securing a homestead of one hundred and sixty acres of land comprising the northeast quarter of section twenty-two, township seventeen, range fifteen, which continued to be the home place for a period of twenty-four years, and which he still owns. He was closely identified with the interests of his part of the county, served in all the various township offices and also held all the offices on the board of school district number thirty-seven.
   Four children were born to Mr. Hogue and wife: Lodema, married N. M. Cruikshank, of Arcadia, and they have three children; Phoebe, married J. C. Bridges and died in 1904; Clyde



N., is at home; Harry, died in 1889. Mr. Hogue is an excellent business manager and is now owner of three hundred and twenty acres of land, which he has developed into a fine grain and stock farm, and has accomplished good results in spite of the many discouragements and hardships that beset his path in his early years in the state. He came through his many trying experiences with honor and credit and never lost courage and faith in the future of the region where he had settled. In the spring of 1908 he erected the present handsome dwelling occupied by the family. The Hogues are well known socially and have a wide circle of friends. They have witnessed a remarkable change in their part of Nebraska since locating there and have contributed their share in bringing about improved conditions. Mr. Hogue is at worker in the people's party, supporting the candidates and principles of that organization with his vote and influence.
   While not living in the primitive dwellings after coming west, Mrs. Hogue grew up in a well made hewn log house in Indiana in which her foster mother died. It was originally built before the war and later removed to another farm where it stands today after sixty years, still in use as a comfortable dwelling.



   In compiling a list of the representative farmers of Madison county, Nebraska, a prominent place is accorded the name of George Haight, who resides on section eight, township twenty-three, range three, known as Valley View Farm. For many years past he has been engaged in agricultural pursuits, and has always done his full share towards the development of the better interests of his community, and enjoys the respect and esteem of all who know him. He has a good farm and comfortable home in the location above mentioned, and in his many years of residence here has proven himself a creditable citizen, one or whom the county may well feel proud.
   Mr. Haight is a native of Canada, born October 17, 1851, a son of David and Hulda (Doan) Haight, who were also natives of Canada, but being of English descent. Our subject lived in the land of his nativity until he reached his young manhood, receiving the usual school advantages.
   In 1877 Mr. Haight left Canada, coming to the United States, proceeding westward and settling in Madison county, Nebraska, where he took up a homestead on section eight, township twenty-three, range three, which remains the homestead to the present time. On coming to Nebraska, Mr.Haight came by railway to Wisner, from where he walked to the homestead, and after reaching his destination had but seventy-five cents in his possession. He first built a sod house and lived in this and "batched it" for two years, working at whatever he could find to do.
   In the first few years of residence here, our subject found it very hard to make a living, as owing to grasshopper pests, prairie fires, lack of fuel, etc., the condition seemed to be utterly against progress of any kind. In the years of 1878 and 1879, the grasshoppers came in swarms and partially destroyed everything in the form of pasturage and crops, and this made it very discouraging to the new settler. Many times Mr. Haight had to fight prairie fires to save his home and grain. For fuel they burned hay, cornstalks, or anything they could find, as wood was to be had only at a great distance and our subject had no team with which to haul it. As late as 1894, Mr. Haight lost his entire season's crops by the hot winds that burned out the ground owing to the severe drouth of that year. Deer and antelope were plentiful in the early years, and were often seen in herds grazing on the open prairies. On January 12, 1888, Mr. Haight suffered severely while gathering his stock in the memorable blizzard of that day, nearly loosing his life from the exposure.
   Mr. Haight was united in marriage in November 1880, to Miss Flora Lewis, and Mr. and Mrs. Haight are the parents of four children, namely: Frances, who is the wife of L. R. Baker, and resides in Battle Creek; Elera, who is married to Miss Emma Muller; Eva, who lives at home; and Ora, wife of John Huddell, they residing in Meadow Grove.
   Mr. Haight is a member of the Baptist church, and is in independent party voter.



   Thomas F. Kelly, of Merna, Nebraska, is well known as a public-spirited citizen, interested in the progress and welfare of his county and state. He is a son of Thomas and Anna (Hisshon) Kelly, born in LaSalle county, Illinois, December 16, 1864, the fifth of seven children. The parents were both natives of Ireland and died in America, the father in Illinois in 1898, and the mother in Merna in 1911. The father came to America as a young man and was an early settler of LaSalle county. Those of the children now surviving are: Robert J., Joseph and William H., of Merna; Stephen, a half mile west of Merna; a daughter in Kansas, and Thomas F.
   Mr. Kelly reached manhood on the farm where he was born and was educated in local schools. In the spring of 1886 he came to Custer county, joining his brother, Robert, who had located there the previous year. Thomas F. Kelly, soon after his arrival, took a pre-emption on one hundred and sixty acres of hind on section twenty-six, township nineteen, range twenty-three, then returned to Illinois for a few months, after which he returned and took up his residence on his Custer county land (in 1887,) securing a tree claim ad-



joining. He was married at Dale, Custer county, May 16, 1893, to Miss Kathryn Phillips, also a native of Illinois, and born in Iroquois county. She is a daughter of Thomas and Catherine (McGlone) Phillips, natives of Ireland, both of whom died in Iroquois county, the father in 1896, and the mother in 1905. Mrs. Kelly has two sisters living in Nebraska and three in Illinois. Mr. and Mrs. Kelly have one daughter, Cathine Lenore, at home.
   Mr. Kelly is a self-made man and has attained a high degree of prosperity and success. He has passed through various important periods of Nebraska's history and in early days endured the usual hardships and privations of pioneer life. He has a well improved and equipped stock and grain farm of six hundred acres of land and is well known in his community. He stands ready to advance the cause of various movements for the good of his county and state and he and his wife are known in various circles.
   In 1889 Mr. Kelly purchased the hardware stock of T. W. Fountain, of Merna, conducting this business until 1904, when he retired from business life. He has served as a member of both city and township boards. In 1904 he erected a modern residence in Merna, where the family still make their home.



   Popularly known as Frank, a nephew of the subject of the preceding sketch, is a practicing attorney of Merna; is a native of Illinois, born in Iroquois county, in September, 1881, a son of Robert J. and Elizabeth (Carey) Kelly. He came to Nebraska with his parents in 1885, and has lived continuously in the state since that time. He was educated in the public schools of his home vicinity. He studied law in the office of Carey & Saum, at Watseka, Illinois, for two years and then (1904) attended Creighton college in Omaha, graduating in the class of 1906, with the degree of LL. B. He then entered upon the practice of his profession at Merna. He was married at Chatsworth, Illinois, to Miss Ella Snyder, and has two daughters: Mary Frances and Helen Louise.



    Arnold H. Helmsy, who resides on his well improved farm on section thirty-six, township twenty-nine, range one, east, Cedar county, Nebraska. is one of the early settlers of that region and is well known and highly respected. He is recognized as a public-spirited, progressive citizen, who has the welfare of his community at heart and is ready to advance any worthy cause. Mr. Helmsy was born in Hanover, Germany, in 1855, and received his education in his native land, where he reached maturity.
   In 1875 he left Bremen on a sailing vessel and landed in New York. He decided to go west, where he could procure land cheap and in this way meet larger opportunities than were offered in the east. He spent five years in Ohio and in 1880 came to Iowa, where he remained twelve years. He has been a resident of Cedar county since 1892 and has developed and improved an excellent farm there, which he devotes to general farming and stock raising. He has contributed his full share to the betterment of conditions in his adopted state and has won a large circle of friends.



   Melvin G. Scudder, an enterprising and prosperous citizen of Central City, Nebraska, is a young man of sterling character who commands the respect and esteem of a large circle of acquaintances.
   Mr. Scudder was born in Merrick county, Nebraska, July 22, 1873, on the old homestead farm, where he grew up to his young manhood days, receiving a district school education until the last few years when he took up higher branches of study. He also has had a wide and varied ranch and stock experience.
   In 1896 Mr. Scudder became an employee of the Creamery Company, and was with them two years. In 1898 he became a traveling salesman for the Standard Stock Food Company of Omaha, with headquarters at Hastings, Nebraska. In May, 1899, he returned to Central City and for some six months was sales manager of Tyndale & Warner, dealers in groceries and shoes. In 1889 our subject's father and self took over the stock, moving to the Hutchins building, continuing the business as a grocery store, increasing the. stock, and the volume of business. Mr.Scudder remained with his father until 1903, when in the fall of that year he was elected clerk of the district court for a four year term on the republican ticket. In January, 1908, Mr. Scudder became it traveling salesman for the, Raymond Brothers-Clark Company of Lincoln, Nebraska, who were in the wholesale grocery line, and continued with them six months. In July, 1908, Mr. Scudder purchased the E. H. Bishop grocery and queensware business in Central City, taking possession September 1, and is still engaged in this business, having a large and complete store in this line.
   December 31, 1896, Mr. Scudder was united in marriage to Miss Manie Baird at the Baird homestead farm in Merrick county. Mrs. Scudder was also born in Merrick county, the Baird family being pioneer settlers. Mr. and Mrs. Scudder have four children: Claire Maurice, Vera Dean, Melva and Prudence.
   Mr. Scudder is one of the hustling young business men of Central City, a Merrick county boy who has made good.



Mr. and Mrs. Scudder and family enjoy the respect and esteem of a large circle of friends.



  Among the leading old settlers of Knox county, Nebraska, the gentleman whose name heads this personal history is entitled to a foremost place. Mr. Johnson is a man of public spirit, who has always given his support and aid in bettering conditions in his community. His home is in Columbia precinct, where he has a well improved farm and valuable estate.
   L. J. Johnson is a native of Sweden, born at Kolmerlen, May 22, 1846. He grew up there, following farming as a young man, and also spent one year in the army.
   His father, John Peterson, was a farmer. About ten years after his son, L. J., came to Nebraska, his father joined him, and here remained until his death in September, 1900. When our subject was about twenty-two years of age he left home to seek his fortune in foreign countries, going first to Guttenberg, and from there to Liverpool, where he took passage for America. On landing in the United States he went directly to Henry county, Illinois, remaining there about eight months. He then came on west, arriving in Cuming county, Nebraska, in 1869. There he filed on a homestead, built a sod shanty, and began to improve his land. He went through many hardships while living in that vicinity, experiencing drouths, grasshopper raids, hailstorms, etc., but succeeded in developing a very good farm and saved some money.
   Mr. Johnson came to Knox county in 1901. He purchased a half section of land which was improved to some extent, and since his residence on the place has fitted it up with every modern convenience in the way of buildings, machinery, etc., and has the reputation of being one of the most successful and prosperous agriculturalists in this section.
   March 11, 1876, our subject was united in marriage to Miss Emma Newman, a native of Sweden, at West Point, Nebraska. Eight children have come to bless their union, namely: Oscar, Albin, Joseph, Theodore, David, Gust, Minnie and Elmer.
   Mr. Johnson and his entire family belong to the Swedish Mission church at Wausa.



   To the pioneers of a country is due most of the credit for the prosperity enjoyed there in after years. Among the early settlers who came to Stanton county, Nebraska, and have remained to enjoy prosperity, a prominent place is accorded the gentleman here named. He braved the hardships of the pioneer's life, and despite losses and discouragements, worked steadily and earnestly, and is now one of the substantial citizens of this locality. He has not only witnessed the growth of the agricultural resources of the region, but has been a potent factor in bringing about the same, and well merits his success and high standing.
   Mr. Hanson is the son of Ans and Carrie (Olson) Hanson, find was born in 1859, in northern Sweden. His parents were small farmers of the vicinity, and the subscriber remained at home helping them until 1870. He was only a young boy when the parents decided to cast in their fortunes with America.
   After arriving in New York, they proceeded on to the west until they reached Dodge county, Nebraska, where they remained for two months. They then came to Stanton county, where the father took up a homestead on section five, township twenty-four, range two. The dugout, twelve by twelve, which was put up at that time, served as a dwelling for the family for sixteen years. At this time, it was replaced by a comfortable frame house.
   The family met with many discouragements at first, and were forced to contend with many hardships. About all the work and traveling was done by means of oxen, and as their market was at Wisner, many miles away, a trip to town was always a matter of considerable time. They were plagued by grasshoppers and every winged pest possible, it seemed. They were in peril by prairie fires in summer and by blizzards in winter. This time of privation had an end, however, and they have long since begun to reap the fruit of their labors.
   In 1890, Mr. Hanson was united in marriage to Miss Maggie Matson. Six children have been born to them, upon whom they have bestowed the following names: Minnie, Mabel, Herman, Henry, Attie and Elfie.
   Mr. and Mrs. Hanson have many friends in the community who esteem them for their many good qualities and sterling worth.



   J. Kilpatric, one of the early settlers of Nebraska, who has passed through all the pioneer experiences of the early days in the west, is now prosperous and successful as a result of many years of labor and persistence. He resides in section thirty-five, township twenty-seven, range six, where he enjoys the respect and high regard of all who know him.
   Mr. Kilpatric is a native of County Derry, Ireland, born January 30, 1856, and is the son of John and Jane (Hannah) Kilpatric, both natives of County Derry, Ireland. In coming to America, in 1873, Mr. Kilpatric sailed from Glasgow, Scotland, to New York, thence to McLean county, Illinois, and from there came to Phelps county, Nebraska, in 1884, where he bought one hundred and sixty acres of land from the Union Pacific



railroad company, and on this land built a sod house, later on putting up a good frame residence and improved the farm. In the first days or his residence in Nebraska, Mr. Kilpatric went through many hardships and inconveniences, one year losing his entire crops by hail; and when wood was scarce and hard to get our subject burned hay and corn to keep warm by. Later he sold out in Phelps county and moved to Antelope county.
   Mr. Kilpatric was united in marriage August 30, 1892, to Miss Mary Snodgrass, and Mr. and Mrs. Kilpatric are the parents of four children, whose names are as follows: Fern, Floyd, deceased, Claud and Clara, (twins). They are a fine family, and enjoy the respect and high esteem of all who know them, and their friends are many.
   In 1903 Mr. Kilpatric came to Antelope county, Nebraska, and bought one hundred and sixty acres of land in section thirty-five, township twenty-seven, range six, from Mr. Bittney. Here our subject is well known as a progressive stockman and farmer, and has a well improved farm and a beautiful grove. Mr. Kilpatric is one of those substantial citizens whose integrity and industry have added so much to the material growth of Nebraska.
   He is a Presbyterian in religious affiliations, and in independent in politics.



   James Harvey Lewin, owner and operator of a fine grain and fruit farm, is one of the, very early settlers of Custer county and in his earlier years there passed through the many trials and discouragements incident to pioneer life. He met these troubles undaunted and has triumphed over them to a gratifying degree. For the first three years of his residence in the state the grasshoppers ate most of his crops, for several years he was the victim of severe drouth, and he also suffered much from the destruction of crops by hail storms.
   Mr. Lewin was born in Louisa county, Iowa, December 4, 1848, eldest of the seven children of John A. and Lucretia (Blake) Lewin. The father was of English parentage and born in the Shenandoah valley, Virginia. He served in the Civil war as a member of Company G, Third Iowa Infantry, and died in Andersonville prison. The mother, also of English extraction, born in Zanesville, Ohio, died in Elko, Nevada, July 12, 1884, while en route for California.
   Mr. Lewin grew to manhood on the home farm in Iowa, receiving his education in local schools, and later engaged in farming. He was married in Warren county, Iowa, March 26, 1874, to Miss Julia Guthrie, a native of Frankfort, Kentucky, and soon afterward they came west, making their first home in Adams county, Nebraska, and three years later, in the spring of 1878, coming on to Custer county. Mr. Lewin had hunted and trapped over part of the state and was very favorably impressed with the prospects for obtaining good land in Custer county, deciding to locate there. He secured a homestead of one hundred and sixty acres of land and a timber claim of the same size adjoining, on section twenty-four, township nineteen, range seventeen, in Woods Park, which was the home place for a number of years. He did much to help in the early upbuilding and development of the region and became successful in his personal enterprises. He helped organize school district number six, serving as the first director of the school board. In 1892 he sold out and purchased two hundred acres of land on section nineteen, range seventeen, which is now the home place, being well improved and equipped for raising grain and fruit. He has found this line of farming very satisfactory and is one of the proserous [sic] men of the community.
   Mr. and Mrs. Lewin have six children living: Newton A., of Arcadia, is married and has one child; Forest E., of Custer county, has four children; Lillian Edna, married Ernest Fuller, of Antelope county, Nebraska, and they have two children; Kate, wife of Bert Clark, of Comstock, has one child; William, of Comstock., and Nellie, at home. Mrs. Lewin's father, William P. Guthrie, was born in Shelbyville, Kentucky, and served during the civil war as a captain of Company G, Thirty-fourth Iowa Volunteer Infantry. He located in Nebraska in 1877, in 1878, located in Custer county, and now is a resident of Frontier county. He married Susan Hodges, a native of Kentucky, who died on the homestead in Custer county in 1882. Mrs. Lewin has a brother, James Guthrie, in Sargent; a sister, Mrs. Wallace Dye, in Custer county, and another brother, William B., of Broken Bow.



   A list of the prominent citizens of Ord would be incomplete without the name of Nathaniel George Clement, the owner and manager of Willow Dell Stock Farm. This is one of the finest and best equipped stock farms in this section, and its Hereford cattle and Poland China hogs, prize winners at all the fairs, are in great demand. Mr. Clement, born on December 26, 1839, in Sidney, Shelby county, Ohio, was the eldest of eighteen children, nine sons and nine daughters, born to Benjamin and Lyda Ann (Baker) Clement; all of this large family grew to maturity, and until recently all were living, there being but one death in the family in forty years. The father was from Berkshire, England, and the mother a native of Ohio. She died in 1857. In the next year, Mr. Clement left home and went to Clinton county, Iowa, and in October, 1859, came to Richardson county, Nebraska, near what is now the town of Humboldt, staying there for some time with an old acquaintance.



   On his way back to Ohio, Mr. Clement traveled through Missouri about the time of the election of 1860, when Abraham Lincoln was the nominee, but as Mr. Clement shrewdly remarks, but few people in Missouri were in favor of Lincoln at that time. Soon after Lincoln was inaugurated, the war broke out, and Mr. Clement enlisted in the Thirteenth United States Infantry, and was assigned to Company A, First Battalion, under Captain Charles E. Ewing, of Ohio. He was in the following engagements: Chickasaw Bayou, Arkansas Post, Black Bayou, Champion Hills, and in the Siege of Vicksburg and the assault upon the fortifications of Vicksburg, May 19, 1863. He was promoted to the position of sergeant of his company and was discharged on August 14, 1863, at Camp Sherman, Mississippi, with an honorable war record. After the close on the war he settled for a time in Fayette county, Illinois, and later removed to Clinton county, Iowa, following his trade of carpentry in both localities.
   Mr. Clement was married to Sarah E. Platts, of Milton, Wisconsin, in May, 1865. Mrs. Clement was with him in the south some five or six months prior to his discharge from the regular army, and they both returned to Clinton county, Iowa, where Mrs. Clement died in October, 1871. Two children, Carl C. and Paul P., were born of this union.
   In September, 1873, Mr. Clement was married in Clinton county, Iowa, to Mary E. Hurley, a native of Shelby county, Ohio, whence her parents, Leven, and Sarah (Babcock) Hurley, moved to Iowa about 1854.
   In 1874 Mr. Clement and his family came to Valley county, Nebraska, where he filed on the southeast quarter of section twenty-two, township eighteen, range fourteen. He made homestead entry on same about six months later and still resides on the original homestead, on which the first little shack they occupied is still standing. They now occupy a fine, comfortable, modern dwelling, surrounded by one of the neatest, best laid out lawns in central Nebraska. The arrangement of the farm buildings in a crescent is Mr. Clement's original idea, and the planning of the house and other buildings is original with him. A view of this well arranged farm home is to be found on one of our illustrated pages, and is one of the best in the entire work.
   Mr. Clement has followed his trade of carpenter and builder for nearly thirty years, being engaged most of the time on government work.
   He drove the first nail at Fort Niobrara and was there at the time Lieutenant Cherry was killed. He was employed at Fort Robinson seven years, and took part in the building of all the posts in Nebraska, Wyoming and Utah, being top man at all these works. He built the first house and also the first school house erected in Ord. In 1903 he retired from active work at his trade and is now engaged entirely in the management of his great stock farm. It may be mentioned that a steer from this farm was entered by the Nebraska University at the Chicago stock show in the winter of 1909, and that a Poland China sow from his farm took the sweepstakes at the Nebraska and Kansas state fairs in the same year. As has been said before, Mr. Clement is one of the most prosperous farmers in the state; yet, when he came here in 1874, his entire capital was about eighty-five dollars in money. Willow Dell Stock Farm comprises four hundred acres of as fine land as may be found in the west. Mr. Clement also has a tract of forty acres near North Loup.
   Mr. and Mrs.Clement have four children, Guy G., who occupies part of Willow Dell Farm, of which he is the business manager; Clara, Ava B., and Hugh H. The family are widely known and highly respected. They worship with the Seventh day Baptists, and Mr. Clement is a Republican in politics.
   Mr. Clement has tasted many of the hardships and privations of the frontier. While at work at Fort Hartseff he walked home, a distance of seventeen miles, nearly every Saturday night, and returned on foot Sunday afternoon to be ready for work Monday morning. One time when he was detained three weeks, Mrs. Clement, becoming uneasy, walked to Ord to learn if the Indians had massacred the inmates of the post. Here she found him finishing a piece of work in town, the work at the post having detained him longer than anticipated. While at Fort Hartseff he lived in a dugout some six months, and endured other hardships that young men of today would seek to avoid.

"Willow Dell Stock Farm," Residence of N. G. Clement.


   Isaac W. Peed, deceased, was a native of Indiana, born near Lafayette, February 28, 1846, where he followed farming as he grew to manhood. He emigrated to Iowa, settling in Warren county, and was married near Indianapolis, in 1869, to Mary A. Reed, the second member in a family of ten children born to Benjamin and Delilah Reed.
   After his marriage, Mr. Peed and his bride located in Boone county, Iowa, for a number of years, and came to Nebraska in the summer of 1879, he coming on in advance of the family and looking about for a suitable location. He met them at Yankton in July, 1880, and drove across the country to their new home at Bazile Mills, Nebraska. When the party reached the ferry a favorite dog was afraid to cross the stream, and the children were fearful that they would have to lose their pet, but he finally gathered courage, as the boat was leaving the bank, made a jump and got aboard, much to the joy of the small people. They reached their destination on July 4, in time to take part in the celebration, and get

Prior page
Next page

© 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001 for NEGenWeb Project by T&C Miller, P Ebel, P Shipley, L Cook