nineteen, range fourteen. Mr. Miller just missed being a native son of Nebraska, his parents moving to that state when he was but two months old.
Charles A. Miller, son of James B. and Charlotte (Ames) Miller, was born, February 29, 1880, in Laporte county, Indiana. That same year his parents came to Valley county, Nebraska, the father being one of the homesteaders of that county. After receiving his education in the local schools, Mr. Miller, the subject of this sketch, engaged in farming.
On April 17, 1901, Mr. Miller was united in marriage to Miss Pearl B. Coonrod, who was born in Iowa. Her parents, Albert M. and Eunice (Denison) Coonrod, are now residents of Nebraska. Mr. and Mrs. Miller have two children, Donald A. and Olive Gertrude.
In 1906, Mr. Miller and family moved to Ord, Nebraska, where Mr. Miller engaged in the livery business for about a year, but sold, and removed to the home farm of three hundred and twenty acres in section thirty-four, township nineteen, range fourteen, where he and his family still live. A view of the well-built, modern house, large barn, built in 1911, and numerous outbuildings is to be seen on another page of this volume.
Mr. Miller is a young man of affairs, enjoying the prospect of a bright future. He is a member of the Methodist church, a democrat in politics, and fraternizes with the American Order of Protection.
Mr. Miller remembers the family's sod-house days, although he was a very small lad when they moved into the new frame dwelling. He recalls seeing three deer at one time. One winter was spent in a hunting expedition around Swan lake, in Holt county, but aside from that diversion, he has given his entire attention to the farm.
A sketch of Mr. Miller's father appears on another page of this review.
FREDERICK L. LAGESCHULTE.
Frederick L. Lageschulte, proprietor of one of the most valuable estates in Pierce county, Nebraska, has been a resident of that locality since 1894. He is prominently known throughout the eastern part of the state as one of the foremost farmers and stockmen in Nebraska. After many years of hard labor in building up his farm, Mr. Lageschulte is now prepared to enjoy the remaining years of his life in peace and comfort, surrounded by a host of good friends.
Mr. Lageschulte was born in Barrington, Illinois, December 26, 1871, and is the son of Fred A. and Lizzie (Meinas) Lageschulte, the oldest in a family of four children, three brothers and one sister. The sister, Mrs. S. T. Zuer, is a missionary in China. Our subject's father is a native of Germany, born in 1844, and emigrating to America in 1858. The grandfather had a dyeing and cleaning works in the old country, and on coming to the new world, sailed from Hamburg, spending nine weeks in a stormy voyage to Baltimore. They settled at Barrington, Illinois, and while residing there, our subject's father enlisted in the army, in Company H, One Hundred and Fiftysixth Illinois Infantry, in 1864, and did guard duty on a supply train in Sherman's march to the sea, participating in the grand review at the close of the war.
Mr. Lageschulte, our subject, came to Nebraska in 1894, and bought the land where he now lives, the east half of section sixteen, township twenty-seven, range one.
In 1897, our subject was married to Miss Lydia Wiseman, of Barrington, a daughter of Frederick and Hannah (Lislartka) Wiseman. To this union two children have been born: Helta and Verdall, and our subject and family worship at the United Evangelical church.
Mr. Lageschulte's maternal Grandfather Meinas, was in Chicago in 1836, when there were but forty houses in the place, and owned eighty acres in what is now Lake View. The land he bought at Barrington was secured from the government at a dollar and a quarter per acre, but little of it was broken; the rest was raw prairie land, without a tree or shrub.
HANS N. LAURITSEN.
Hans N. Lauritsen, a prosperous farmer and stockman, residing on the south half of section eight, of Cleveland precinct, is the owner of a fine estate, known as the Union Stock Farm, which comprises one thousand acres, improved with a handsome residence, and every equipment for the conducting of a model farm. Mr. Lauritsen is one of the largest land-owners in his section of the country, being proprietor of over two thousand acres of choice Howard county land.
Mr. Lauritsen was born in Denmark on the fourteenth of February, 1849, and was the fourth a family of seven children born to Laurits and Karn Clausen. He grew up in his native land, and at the age of twenty-one, decided to seek his fortune in the new world, landing in America in November, having come all alone across the great sea, and locating at the first in Ottawa county, Ohio.There he spent about five and a half years, then came to Howard county, Nebraska, landing here in April, 1876. He took up some land, and, farmed for many years, going through all the pioneer experiences, homesteading on section four, township thirteen, range eleven, where he succeeded in building up a comfortable home and good farm.
In 1897, our subject came to his section, which is admirably adapted to stock raising, and this he has put in the best possible condition, erecting fine buildings of all kinds, planted trees, and has every convenience for the operation of a model farm.
Mr. Lauritsen was married in Ottawa county, Ohio, in 1871, to Jensine Trenkner, who was a
native of Germany, coming to America in the year of her marriage, and they have had ten children, eight of whom are now living, named as follows: Johannah, wife of Amil Larsen, they the parents of two children, and occupying a farm adjoining Mrs. Larsen's father's estate; Emma, wife of Niels Petersen, they living in Rock Springs, parents of three children; Charles, married, farming his own place on section ten, Dannebrog precinct, in Howard county; Thomas, occupying the old homestead; Eddie, on his own farm in the vicinity of his father's home; Mollie, wife of Peter Petersen, farming in Howard county; Willie and George, both living at home, and assisting their father. The two children who died were Louie W., he dying when twenty-six years old, and Sadie, who died at four years of age.
After Mr. Lauritsen had been in this country some time, he was joined by his father, mother and one sister. The mother died in 1893, and the father two years later, both passing away at the home of our subject.
Mr. Lauritsen is active in all local, county and state affairs, and is regarded as one of the leading citizens of his section.
JOHN LUDWIG HENRY LENZ.
John Ludwig Henry Lenz, a man of sturdy German stock, and a citizen who has contributed his share toward the upbuilding and progress of Valley county, has made his own way in the world. He was born in the village of Bromstead, province of Lenneberg-Segelberg, Germany, February 27, 1859, and was the oldest of the six children born to Henry Lenz and wife, who were parents of three sons and three daughters. He was reared like other farmers' sons of his country, and received a parochial school education. In 1880, being then in his twenty-first year, he came to the United States in search of an opportunity to advance his position in life, sailing from Hamburg, November 20, and landed in New York seven days later. He soon after came to Cass county, Nebraska, where he was employed by the month at farm work. In October, 1883, he came to Valley county, and filed on a hometsead [sic] on section three, township seventeen, range sixteen. Returning to Cass county, he spent the winter there, and in the following spring returned to the homestead, and has since made his home there. He has improved the farm in many ways, and has developed an excellent property, being now owner of four hundred and eighty acres of land. He has shown himself an able and enterprising farmer, and has won a good standing in his community. He is the only one of his family to come to America.
Mr. Lenz was married at Ord, Nebraska, May 4, 1884, to Emelia Peters, daughter of Peter and Lena (Shoemaker) Peters. The Peters family were among the early settlers of Cass County, locating there in 1860. Mr. Peters came to the United States in 1855, located in Cook county, Illinois, and in 1857 there married Lena Shoemaker. Mrs. Lenz was horn in Cass county, and was the fifth of seven children. Six children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Lenz, namely: William, married, and living east of the home farm, has one child; the other five, Henry, Fred, Katie, George and Louis, are all at home. The reader's attention is called to a sketch of D. O. Franzen, whose wife is a sister of Mrs. Lenz.
Mr. Lenz and family lived for twelve or thirteen years in a sod house in genuine pioneer style. Deer and antelope were to be seen in large numbers on the open prairies. In the blizzard of January 12, 1888, Mr. Lenz was out in it most of the day, helping neighbors save their stock. In politics he is a democrat, and was reared in the Lutheran church.
Of the leading old settlers and public-spirited citizens of Madison county, Nebraska, the gentleman above mentioned deserves a foremost place. Mr. Warner resides on section seventeen, township twenty-three, range one, where he has a pleasant home, and is surrounded by a host of kind neighbors and loving friends. He has aided in no slight degree in the development of the commercial resources of this region, and has done his full share in building up the country.
Mr. Warner was born in New York state, his birth occurring August 5, 1839, and is a son of Hiram and Catherine (Miner) Warner, who were natives of Connecticut. At the age of six years, our subject, with his parents, moved to Tazewell county, Illinois, where be received his education, and grew to manhood's estate.
In 1862, Mr. Warner enlisted in Company A, One Hundred and Eighth Illinois Infantry, and served in the Civil war until 1865 under General Smith. The battles participated in were the Siege of Vicksburg, Champion Hill, Spanish Fort, and many other skirmishes and engagements. Mr. Warner was wounded while on the way with a small band of soldiers to get provisions, one-half mile from the camp, being surprised by some sharpshooters. Mr. Warner's brother also served his country in the civil war, and, doing active duty, was taken prisoner, and confined at Andersonville prison. He weighed one hundred and seventy pounds at the time of his capture, and at the close of war, when he was released from prison, he weighed but sixty-nine pounds, a loss in weight of one hundred and one pounds.
In 1887, Mr. Warner came to Madison county, Nebraska, where he originated the town of Warnersville, building a creamery, a store, a canning factory and lumber yard. He has always been an active factor in the advancement of all the best interests of his home state and county, and, as
such, is widely and favorably known.
Mr. Warner was united in marriage, August 16, 1862, to Miss Rosalthe L. Amsbury, of French and English descent, and at native of West Virginia. Mr. and Mrs. Warner are the parents of two children, Edward and Guy.
Mr. Warner comes from quite an illustrious family. His grandfather, on the maternal side, M. C. Mynor, served in the revolutionary war. His paternal grandfather, Henry Warner, was a brother of Seth Warner, whose name went down in the history of the commonwealth.
Mr. Warner is a republican.
Edmond Haumont, a prominent and successful farmer and stockman of Custer county, is a native of Belgium, born March 9, 1858, the second born of the six children of Joseph and Marian (Howlet) Haumont. Both parents are deceased, the father passing away in January, 1872, and the mother in October, 1899. Mr. Haumont lived in his native country until coming to America in the spring of 1877, when he came direct to the neighborhood of Wood river, Hall county, Nebraska, where he joined his brother, Jules, a sketch or whom also appears in this work.
In the fall of 1877, Mr. Haumont went into Iowa, and worked in the coal mines at Moingona and also near Des Moines. He worked for a time on the Northwestern railroad, and in the fall of 1879, returned to Hall county, and went on to Custer County, taking a homestead on the northeast quarter of section three, township eighteen, range nineteen, but he and his family now reside on his wife's tree claim on the southeast quarter of section thirty-four, township seventeen, range nineteen. He was married in Grand Island, September 15, 1879, to Mary Severyns, and in the following spring (March 27) came to his homestead in Custer county.
Joseph Severyns came to America in April, 1875, and in July of that year he was joined at Moingona, Iowa, by Tom Severyns, Mary Severyns and Jules Haumont, who had just reached America. Joseph and Tom Severyns came to the Wood river district, in Hall county, in 1875, and took up timber claims, returning to Iowa to work in the mines and on the railroad. In 1879, Joseph, Tom and Mary Severyns came to Custer county, and took homesteads, Mary securing a timber claim as well. When they came to Custer county, Jules and Edmond Haumont came with them, the journey being made with a covered wagon, and they were the first settlers on the tableland just off Clear creek valley. Tom Severyns returned to Belgium in 1886, and still resides there. Joseph Severyns lived in Custer county until 1893, then moved to California, where his death occurred in April, 1901.
Mrs. Edmond Haumont proved up on her homestead, and (as mentioned above) Mr. and Mrs. Haumont, with their family, live on her timber claim. Mrs. Haumont is a woman of strength of character and determination, and is a pioneer settler of the county. Mr. Haumont was appointed postmaster of the post-office at Elton, October 10, 1881, being sworn in by County Judge Armour, and holding office until April, 1899. The present incumbent is Albert Kleeb, who married a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Haumont. Both Mr. Haumont and his wife passed through the severe trials and hardships of pioneer life, and well remember the days when grain was sometimes ground in a coffee mill to make bread for the family. They lived some time in a sod shanty, and had to pass through years when the crops were ruined by drouth or a scourge of grasshoppers, but have been triumphant over all difficulties, and have come to a time of prosperity and success. They have twelve hundred acres of choice land, with a fine home and comfortable surroundings. The family have been prominent and progressive along educational lines and the general progress of Custer county, and are well known for their public spirit.
Mr. Haumont and wife have had three children of whom but two survive: Paul J. and Sylvia. The former was born on the homestead in 1880, lives in Custer county, and was married to Eva Bokingharn, and, they have three children. Sylvia was born on the homestead farm, October 10, 1882, is now the wife of Albert Kleeb, postmaster at Elton, and they live on the original Joseph Severyns homestead. Mr. and Mrs. Kleeb have three children.
WILLIAM H. BALIMAN.
William H. Baliman, a prosperous and much respected farmer of Howard county, well deserves the abundant success that has come to him as a reward of industry, economy and thrift.
Mr. Baliman was horn in Clinton county, Pennsylvania, on February 17, 1844. When an infant, three months old, his parents moved to Dupage county, northern Illinois, where he grew up, and was educated, attending the common schools. May 24, 1861, he enlisted in Company K, Thirteenth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and served with his regiment for over three years, engaging in the following principal battles: Chickasaw Bayou, fought on December 27, 28 and 29, 1862; the engagement at Arkansas Post, January 11, 1863; Jackson, Mississippi, May 4, 1863, and July 10 to 17, 1863; Siege of Vicksburg, which engagement was begun on May 18, and lasted until July 4, 1863; also was in the battle of Lookout Mountain, November 24, 18631 Mission Ridge, fought on November 25, 1863, where there were more prisoners taken than there were men in the regiment; Ringgold Gap, Georgia, November 27, 1863, and Madison, Alabama,
May 18, 1864. Besides these encounters, Mr. Baliman participated in many minor skirmishes, and, strange to say, passed through all these battles without even receiving a scratch.
At the close of the war, Mr. Baliman returned to his home in Illinois, and clerked in a store for about two years, from there coming to Omaha, where he became interested in the mercantile business, and remained for four years. He then came into Howard county, landing here in the spring of 1871, and filed on a homestead on section twelve, township fourteen, range eleven, which he proved up on, and out of which he developed a good farm. He built his first house, which was a frame structure, on the table-land, and there passed through all the old Nebraska times. Many and exciting were the encounters he had with the different tribes of Indians, who infested that region, and he also went through the grasshopper raids, drouths, etc., but through all these trying times, never once thought of abandoning his claim. He has been well repaid for his sufferings and discouragements, in the possession of the elegant farm he now owns, which consists of two hundred and forty acres of choice land, and comprising one of the most valuable estates of Howard county.
Mr. Baliman is one of the very first settlers in his locality, widely known. for his aid in building up the region, and is a man who has always stood for the best interests of the county along educational and commercial lines.
Mr. Baliman was married on May 18, 1869, to Miss Mary LaClair, at the home of her parents in Naperville, Illinois, her father and mother dying there some years ago. Our subject was the second member in a family of fourteen children, but six or whom are now living, one brother now in Chicago, Illinois, another in Omaha, and the balance in different parts of the country. Mr. and Mrs. Baliman are the parents of four children, one of whom is dead, the other three named as follows: Will E., of St. Libory; Ada M., wife of W. B. Connor, of City Point, Wisconsin, and Alfred L., on the home farm. Carrie J. died October 15, 1905. She was the wife of D. A. Geil. The family are prominently known throughout their section of the state, and are among the worthy and substantial residents on their respective localities.
SAMUEL LEROY GLOVER.
Samuel Leroy Glover is well known throughout, central Nebraska as a successful farmer and ranchman, having large interests in Custer County. He owns a large tract of land, well developed and equipped in every respect, and one of the most charming homes in the county. He was born in Otsego county, New York, July 4, 1832, third child of Ezra Jarvis and Hannah (Mudge) Glover and the only one of his family now surviving. His parents were natives of New York, and married in Otsego county, and three sons and three daughters were born to them. The father was a shoemaker by trade, and at different times the family lived in various small villages in the counties of Otsego, Tioga and Chemung, and also lived for a short time in Bradford county, Pennsylvania, but returned to Owego, Tioga county, where the death of the father occurred in 1844. After his death, the widow returned with the children to Otsego county.
After the death of his father, Samuel L. Glover lived with an uncle for about a year, then went with his mother and the other two surviving children, Henry and Mary, to the neighborhood of Hope factory, three miles south of Cooperstown. The three children were sent to work in the factory. Later they removed to Oneida county, and the two boys worked in a woolen mill. The latter factory paid cash to their employes instead of requiring them to trade out their earnings at the company store, and about 1850, the family were able to move to western Pennsylvania, where they had purchased a small farm. Samuel remained there until twenty years of age, then left home to go out in the world for himself. He went to work, in a country store and post-office. Although his father had lived in several different places he always located in a village where his children could have educational advantages, and Samuel was an apt and ambitious pupil, making the best of his opportunities. After spending about a year as clerk in the store, he began in the local school during the winter months, and in the spring resumed work as clerk.
On October 18, 1854, in Erie county, Pennsylvania, Mr. Glover was united in marriage with Martha Jane, daughter of John M. T. and Mary (Greenlee) Dunn. They lived in Erie county after marriage, and Mr. Glover worked in a store until the spring of 1855. They then moved to Erie City, where he engaged in the retail grocery trade about one year, then moved to LaSalle county, Illinois, where he rented a farm from the spring of 1857 until the spring of 1861, when they removed to Livingston county, Illinois, and carried on a farm Mr. Glover owned, until their removal to Custer county, Nebraska, in the spring of 1886.
During the previous fall, Mr. Glover had made a trip to Butler county, Nebraska, where his brother, Henry, and his son, Henry Bion, were living, and the latter came overland with him into Custer county, where he purchased land. In the spring, Mr. Glover brought his wife and three children to their new home on the ranch, which had been purchased in the fall. During the winter of 1885 and 1886, the sons, Bion and Percy, and daughter, Deett, remained on the home farm. They have steadily prospered, and the firm of Glover & Sons have a fine herd of cattle, and over six hundred and forty acres of land in the home farm. They have a modern home, well
kept lawn, and trees and flowers. Although he and his wife have been married fifty-seven years, both are active and in robust health. The sons practically manage the farm work, and Mrs. Glover has her daughter, Mrs. Potter, to help in the home. They have six children: Deett, Mrs. J. W. McRae, of Harlan county, has two children; Mary Emily, Mrs. Potter, living with her parents; Grace, wife of E. V. Sparks, of eastern Colorado; Henry Bion, interested with his father in the farm and stock business, lives on section thirty-five, township eighteen, range eighteen, and is married; Percy D., married, and living on his fine Custer county farm, has fifteen children; Sidney L., married, and living on section twenty-four, Westerville township. They are a representative family, and active in furthering the best interests of the community. Mrs. Glover is the only surviving member of her family, as Mr. Glover is of his.
Leonard and Theresa (Meyer) Weigand, of whom a sketch appears on another page of this review, parents of Frank Weigand, of Bloomfield, were natives of Germany. The father was born in the village of Genetzheim, kingdom of Bavaria, January 6, 1824. He learned the cabinet maker's trade, and was employed in a number of cities in Germany in his young manhood. He was residing in Berlin at the time of his emigration to America with his wife and son, Frank. Embarking at Bremen in a sailing vessel the last day of September, 1854, they landed in New York, November 11, and proceeded to Cleveland, where the father found work at his trade.
In 1858, hearing glowing accounts of the opportunities in the west from F. L. Meyer, his brother-in-law, Mr. Weigand disposed of his household effects, and started for Nebraska. The railroad at that time extended only to Fort Dodge, Iowa, whence they traveled by stage to Sioux City. Here Mrs. Weigand's brother met them with an ox wagon, and, crossing the Missouri river, March 17, slowly carried them to his squatter holding on what is now known as Ames creek, near St. James, Cedar county, the land not yet at that time having been thrown open to settlement. Here they lived together until the Pike's Peak exodus, when Mr. Meyer joined the gold-seekers, leaving his claim to Mr. Weigand. When the land was thrown open to settlement, Mr. Weigand was deprived of his claim through a perversion of law, and had to seek further for land, on which he could file.
For a time, the family lived near St. James, and finally, in March of 1862, Leonard Weigand selected a quarter section, thirteen miles north of where Bloomfield now stands, and fifteen miles southeast of Santee Agency, and filed on it under the homestead law. When he began, he had thirteen head of cattle and fourteen cents in money a small beginning, truly, When he retired a few years ago, he had accumulated one thousand acres of fine land, besides a large holding of personal property. In 1904, be began spending his winters in the west, and, two years later, became a permanent resident of Oakland, California, the climate there agreeing with him. Far along in the eighties, Mr. Weigand is hale and hearty, with a light springy step, such as a man half his age might envy. His mind is bright and active, and he takes a keen interest in current events and the political conditions. The post-office of Weigand was established through his influence, and the village of Weigand, in the northern part of Knox county, was named for him.
His good wife died, June 15, 1901, at the age of seventy-one years, five months and sixteen days.
His first dwelling on the homestead claim was a dugout, with an entrance between two log cribs, built into the bank, where the dwelling was made. The only window was a small sash in the roof, on the south slope. Indians were plentiful, and at times a dozen of their tepees were set up around Mr. Weigand's home place, and the red brother made himself useful in helping gather corn, dig potatoes, and in many other ways. During the first years, the nearest neighbor was an old bachelor, six miles distant, and beyond that there were no neighbors for many miles.
VICTOR VAN CAMP.
This gentleman is practically a native Nebraskan, having settled here with his parents when but four years of age, and his entire career since boyhood has been spent in this region. He is a man of fine mind and superior education, is prominent in local affairs, and has served Boone county in various capacities for the past several years.
Victor Van Camp was born in Sauk county, Wisconsin, on October 4, 1867, being the eldest child in the family of Garrett and Laura Van Camp, who had, beside our subject, one daughter. When Victor was but four years of age, his parents came to Boone county, the father being a pioneer homesteader of the county. Our subject obtained his early education in the country schools, afterwards attending the Neligh Academy for four years. He also spent one year in the law department of the Michigan University at Ann Arbor, and then returned to Boone county, where he embarked in the farming and stock-raising business on his own account. He has done considerable for his locality in the way of helping build up the schools, etc., and is a leading citizen in local and county politics. During 1906 and 1907, he served as deputy sheriff of Boone county, and was deputy county clerk during the following four years.
Mr. Van Camp was married on June 1, 1898, to Miss Mabel Pierce, who is a native of Minnesota, but has spent practically her entire life in
Boone county, her parents being early settlers here. Mr. and Mrs. Van Camp have four children, all at home, and named as follows: Myrtice, Pierce, Laura and Eunice. The family have a pleasant home, and are among the popular members of society in their community. Mr. Van Camp is a member of the school board of Albion.
Preston Sarles, retired farmer of Spencer, as been a resident of Nebraska, since March, 1886, when he settled in Dixon county, and lived six years on a rented farm. He came to Boyd county in May, 1892, filed on a homestead four north of Spencer, and bought a quarter section, which cornered with his homestead, and here he developed a highly productive farm. He resided here for about fifteen years, and, renting to his son-in-law, retired from active farming. He sojourned nearly two years in Colorado, helping his son, Walter, secure an eighty-acre tract of fruit land under the Gunnison ditch in Delta county. He then returned to Spencer in February, 1909, and since that time has lived a quiet life here.
Mr. Sarles was born in Floyd county, Indiana, November 30, 1852. His parents, Henry and Susan (McCutcheon) Sarles, lived their entire lives on a farm in the state of Indiana, where they were born. He started out in life for himself at the age of twenty-two, and the year following, he married, and lived for a year or two on a rented farm. Later he bought forty acres in Crawford county, on which he lived until coming west at the time stated above.
Mr. Sarles was first married in August, 1875, to Martha E. Jenkins, a native of Indiana, and daughter of Samuel Jenkins. Three children were born to them: Walter, who lives on a fruit farm in Delta county, Colorado; Cora, wife of William Wilkerson, a bridge-builder and house-mover of Spencer; and Homer, who has remained under the parental roof.
Mr. Sarles was married a second time in Dixon county, Nebraska, in December, 1889, the bride being Martha Jane Goodson, a native of Crawford county, Indiana, and daughter of Jasper Goodson. Three children have blessed this union, namely: Lula, who is married to Frank Wilkerson, who holds a lease on the homestead; Leora, who, with her husband, Eby Ross, lives in Montrose county, Colorado.
The first six years of life on his homestead, Mr. Sarles and family occupied a sod house, and, like all other settlers, found it a most comfortable dwelling, more so than the new frame residence that was its successor. Mr. Sarles had the opportunity to feel the edge of the blizzard of January 12, 1888. His children were at school, three-quarters of a mile distant, and he and the hired man found their way to the school house, and got the children safely home, though the man with Mr. Sarles' brother's children missed the house, and ran into a granary before finding their way into the house, which they occupied jointly. He has fought prairie fires, both in Dixon county and in Boyd county, and knows something of the peril the early settlers encountered in changing the open prairies into fertile farms.
Mr. Sarles is a republican in politics, and is a member of the Spencer clan of Royal Highlanders.
In September, 1909, the Independent Lumber Company of Spencer, was organized, and Mr. Sarles became a stockholder. In the spring of 1910, he was elected vice president, and holds this office at the present time.
Theodore Frischkorn, a self-made man and successful farmer of Custer county, Nebraska, came to the county with but a dollar or two in money, his chief asset being his ambition to succeed, which was reinforced by energy and physical strength. He was born in Beaver county, Pennsylvania, August 1, 1852, the second of four children born to Adam and Christina Frischkorn, three of whose children were sons. His parents, of German birth, came to Pennsylvania in youth. One son, John, came to Custer county about 1884, and another son came to the state with Theodore.
In April, 1877, Theodore Frischkorn and his brother, Joseph, left Pennsylvania, and went to Iowa, where they spent one year, removing the following April, with two young teams and wagons, from Iowa to Nebraska, crossing the river on the transfer at Omaha. After spending a short time in Grand Island, they came on to Custer county, and secured a homestead on section eighteen, township seventeen, range eighteen, Theodore securing the south half of the northeast quarter and the north half of the southeast quarter. He is one of the very few homesteaders to retain possession of his original homestead, and he still occupies the sod shanty he erected when he first came here, at a time when the region was very sparsely settled, there being but one cattle ranch between his homestead and Broken Bow. He has lived in his present home continuously since 1878, and has passed through the years of drouth and other hardships. He is now one of the most prominent stockmen in the central part of the state, and is a progressive and well-read man. He also secured a timber claim in the same section, and has now four hundred acres of land in the home farm, besides three hundred and twenty acres adjoining on the southwest, making a farm of seven hundred and twenty acres, which is one of the best in central Nebraska, and which he devotes to grain and stock raising. He also owns three hundred and twenty acres in Dry valley. With all his large interests, and the time
necessary to look after his estate, he manages to keep abreast of the times and the progress of events in the world outside.
He has been actively interested in public affairs in his county, and in early days served some time as justice of the peace. He has his farm well fenced, and has quite a growth of timber, which he set out himself, and which adds much to the value and appearance of his place.
Mr. Frischkorn's brother, Joseph, who came with him to Nebraska, now lives in Washington county, Colorado, where he was a pioneer settler..
VINCENT J. STEDRY.
Vincent J. Stedry has for many years been influential in advancing the cause of progress in Custer county and central Nebraska, and is accounted a public-spirited, useful citizen. He was born in Bohemia, May 5, 1846, a son of Joseph and Mary Stedry, who had four sons and four daughters, he being the fourth-born child. The parents came to the United States with their six children in 1854, and first settled in Baltimore, Maryland. The father served during the Civil war as musician in the Third Regiment, Maryland Volunteer Infantry. After serving two years, he received an honorable discharge on account of physical disability. The Stedry family resided in Baltimore until about 1870, then moved to Watertown, Wisconsin, and the father died there in 1883. The mother died in California in 1909.
Vincent Stedry came to Saline county, Nebraska, in 1879, and his first work was when he was employed as clerk in the post-office at Crete. He had received a good common school education, and took a college course, attending the University of Wisconsin before he came west, and he taught in the public schools of Saline county about eleven years, and while a resident of the county, served some time as deputy registrar of deeds and in other positions in the court house, in connection with his school work. He was there married on September 3, 1883, to Annie Karten.
In 1884, Mr. Stedry took up a homestead on the southwest quarter of section three, township sixteen, range twenty-one, returned to Saline county, and lived there during the years 1885 and 1886, and then came back to his homestead, which has been his residence continuously ever since. He now owns a section, but the original sod shanty on the old homestead continued to be his home, and he is one of the few settlers in his neighborhood who continue to live on their original homesteads. During the past year, he has been connected with county work, and in 1899 served, under Governor Poynter, as state oil inspector. He often acts as interpreter for his fellow countrymen, newly arrived in America, and is one of the best known and most popular men in his county. He has always been especially interested in educational measures, and is known as one of the most progressive farmers in his part of the state.
Three children were born to Mr. Stedry and wife: Vincent, Ruby and Oliver, all at home. Mrs. Stedry died on the home farm, September 30, 1909, having been a faithful wife and mother, and deeply mourned by her many friends. An interesting picture of the Stedry family will be found on another page.
Miss Ruby Stedry. Vincent J. Stedry and Mrs. Vincent J. Stedry.
Sod House Home of Vincent J. Stedry.
Frederick Dedlow is one of the thrifty German citizens who have come to Nebraska by way of Wisconsin. He was born in the village of Ihlenfeld, Mechlinberg-Sterlitz, September 27, 1842, and lived here until he was in his twenty-second year. Sailing with his sister from Hamburg on the "Teutonia," in 1864, he landed in New York, after a voyage of eighteen days. Proceeding directly to Wisconsin, he found work in Jefferson county, where he labored at whatever his hand found to do - sometimes on farms, sometimes hauling to the railroad, but always industrious, always busy, until 1871, when he migrated to Nebraska, and settled on a homestead, one mile east and south of Plainview, later filing on a timber claim.
Mr. Dedlow is a son of Frederick and Fredricka (Grehn) Dedlow, who followed to America with the rest of his family in the fall of 1866.
With his sons, Frederick, Charles, John and William, he settled on the north side of Dry creek, the first to build homes in this part of the county. They were followed a few weeks later by the Dean, Starr and Rose families, who came together.
Mr. Dedlow was married in Wisconsin to Miss Minnie Lindahl, daughter of John Lindahl, also from Mechlinberg-Sterlitz. To Mr. and Mrs. Dedlow three children were born: August, who is farming south of Plainview; William, who has never left the parental roof; and Clara, who married M. G. Bley, and occupies the old homestead, southeast of Plainview.
Mr. Dedlow leans more to democracy than to other parties, but in local elections casts his ballot for the man more than for political affiliations. He, with his family, is an earnest member of the Lutheran church.
Like the early settlers in Nebraska, the Dedlows lost their crops through the grasshopper pests which raided Nebraska four or five years and one season by hailstorm that battered the crops into the ground. They suffered severely from the blizzards, but lost no stock, but William and Clara, with the teacher and others, had to remain over night in the school house during the blizzard of January 12, 1888, when, in other districts, children perished. In the early days, Norfolk was the nearest point where a few scanty supplies could be secured, and Wisner or Yankton
© 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001 for NEGenWeb Project by T&C Miller, P Ebel, P Shipley, L Cook, L Cook