son of Detroit, Michigan. Mr. Erickson held the office
only one year. Upon his resignation Andrew D. Harmon of
Wisconsin was selected to fill the office. He is at this
time (1919) president of the college.
BY REV. JAMES D. KERR, D.D.
The first Christian work done in
Nebraska by the Presbyterian church was in hehalf (sic) of
the Omaha and Pawnee Indians, and ante-
REV. HENRY M. GILTNER, D.D.
dates by twenty-one years the beginning of things among
the English-speaking population. The Rev. John Dunbar began
work among the Omahas at Bellevue in 1834, and the Rev.
Edward Kinney among the Pawnees in 1846. The Rev. William
Hamilton entered upon his life service of consecration to
the welfare of the Omahas in 1853, and continued with quiet,
patient, steadfast fiedelity (sic) for about fifty-four
years, to the end of his long and useful life.
J. T. Baird, D.D., and J. D. Kerr. The first pioneer, the
Rev. Henry M. Giltner, D.D., has lived to see the state of
his choice and the church of his love grow to their present
large dimensions and promising outlook. For more than
forty-seven years he has lived the life of a loyal citizen
of the state and the faithful servant of the church; and
just now, while this paper is being written, he, "having
served his generation by the will of God" so long and well,
has fallen asleep, April 7, 1903, at the good old age of
seventy-five years, three months, and eight days.
REV. JOHN T. BAIRD, D.D.
opening before him sufficient to stimulate to the utmost
exertion in the effort to supply the immigrants with the
means of grace and the constituted church.
tion, families of large means that come to stay, the
young, the energetic, the enterprising from the older
states, an American and Protestant element largely, with a
vigorous sprinkling of foreign nationalities. There is
activity in all the enterprises of the state, in the
building of the railroads, in the founding of new towns, in
the opening of farms, in the introduction and development of
manufacturing industries. There is the hum, the stir, the
push of an intense activity on every hand. Why should not
the church of Christ be correspondingly active?
seeking out destitute regions, planting schools and
encouraging local officers and teachers in their humble
efforts to instruct the children and youth in the knowledge
of the word of God.
PRESBYTERIAN MISSION, BELLEVUE, 1854
loss of crops and financial depression, till the year
1893, when the synod ordered the erection of another
presbytery in the northwestern part of the state, and which
was enrolled the following year by the name of Box Butte,
with a constituency of six ministers and seventeen
was firmly cherished in the hearts of all, and only
waited the opportune time for its practical development. At
the end of six years of growth in churches and financial
resources it was believed that a beginning might be made;
and at the meeting of the synod, October 16, 1880, it was
determined to open such a school at Bellevue.
Dr. Kerr, the vice-president, Rev. Robert M. Stevenson,
D.D., became acting president until the election of the
present president, Guy W. Wadsworth, D.D., who entered upon
his duties September 1, 1905.
terial resources, including lands, buildings, library,
apparatus, aggregate about $120,000.
opment which could not otherwise have been realized. The
latest reports from the six presbyteries, April 1, 1903,
show a total enrolment (sic) of 161 ministers, 223 churches,
and 17,753 members. The Sunday school enrolment (sic) is
ganization to the present time; "whose impress and
influence have been component parts of the conception and
growth of every department of the work."
Hastings College was organized in 1873
by pioneer Presbyterian missionaries. Kearney Presbytery, in
November of that year, passed an overture to be presented to
Synod to be organized by the General Assembly in 1874, A
board of directors was elected and subscription; received
for the founding of the institution. When Synod was
organized in 1874, it received the overture from Kearney
Presbytery, and made the "promise to consider the claims of
Hastings as first in the event of Synod founding a college."
The crop failures and adverse financial conditions delayed
the actual work of the college, but a keen interest was
maintained until the college was opened for the work of
instruction in September, 1882. Rev. W. F. Ringland, D.D.,
was made president of the college in that year. In
accordance with the promise of 1874, Synod adopted the
college in 1884.