This is a NEGenWeb
Project On-Line Library
| Rock |
was temporarily organized by a proclamation of Acting Governor Thomas
B. Cuming, dated November 23, 1854, and was organized and its
boundaries defined by an act approved March 7, 1855, with the seat of
justice located at Archer. Its boundaries were redefined by an act
approved January 26, 1856. Richardson county is one of the eight
original counties. It was named for William A. Richardson of
Illinois, who later became the third territorial Governor of
county, California, was so named by settlers from Richardson county,
Nebraska, in honor of their old home.
- Arago. This town was founded in 1858 by a colony of
Germans from Buffalo, New York. It was named by its German
citizens in honor of the noted French astronomer and natural
philosopher, Dominique Francois Arago (1786-1853). It was
incorporated as a city by an act of the legislature approved
January 10, 1860, and was the first town in Richardson county to
be so incorporated. Arago was the early metropolis of Richardson
county and during the flourishing period of river transportation
was an important port on the Missouri river and carried on an
extensive commerce. The town gave the name to the precinct. The
old town-site is now known as Fargo. The present village of Arago
is about five miles west of the old site and the name was
transferred with the removal of the post office from the old to
the new site. The post office has been discontinued.
- Archer. This village was the original county seat of
Richardson county. It was named for its founder, Robert T. Archer,
the first sheriff of the county. The town-site was abandoned in
- Barada. This place is situated in Barada precinct and
it and the precinct were named after one of the first settlers,
Antoine Barada (1807-1887), a French-Omaha Indian half-breed whose
wife was a French woman. He named the village after himself. His
descendants still live in the vicinity.
- Dawson. This town is legally named Noraville, but by
common usage is called Dawson. It was laid out in 1871 and is
called Dawson in honor of Joshua Dawson, an early settler, (and
the Dawson family) who built a flour and feed mill in the vicinity
- Falls City. Falls City receives its name from the fact
that it is located near the falls in the Great Nemaha river. The
town was incorporated in May 17, 1858. The county seat was located
temporarily here and permanently by an election pursuant to an act
of the legislature approved January 13, 1860. It was incorporated
by an act of the legislature and approved on the same date,
January 13, 1860. It is the present county seat of Richardson
county. The precinct has the same name.
- Fargo. A one-time village on the Missouri river, in
Arago precinct. Apparently so named after the Wells, Fargo Express
Company. It is located on the site of old Arago. The post office
has been discontinued.
- Humboldt. O. J. Tinker, the founder of this town, who
settled in the vicinity in 1857, named it in honor of the famous
German scientist and traveler, Baron Friedrich Heinrich Alexander
von Humboldt who was born in Berlin, September 14, 1769. Mr.
Tucker was a great admirer of Baron von Humboldt. The town was
platted in the spring of 1868. Another account relates that the
name was suggested by Edward P. Tinker, a son of O. J. Tinker, who
was a member of Company C, Fifth Iowa Cavalry, of the Civil War.
While in the service he spent a few days in Humboldt, Tennessee,
and being favorably impressed with the southern city offered the
name as a suitable one for his home place. The precinct has; the
- Middleburg. An inland place in Nemaha precinct, on the
south Nemaha, so called because of its midway position. It was a
little mail station from the pioneer days. The post office has
- Nims. This is a small inland place in Nemaha precinct.
It was named after its founder, Mrs. Betsey U. Nims.
- Preston. The station at Preston was originally called
Bluffton, and the post office Sac, on account of the close
proximity of the Sac and Fox Indians. Shortly after the town was
platted, James; S. Eatough, a storekeeper, suggested that the name
of both the station and the office should be changed to Preston,
in honor of his former home in England.
- Rulo. This town was laid out in 1857 on land belonging
to the wife of Charles Rouleau. It is for her that the town is
named and it should be spelled Rouleau, but the pronunciation led
to the modified spelling Rulo. It was incorporated by an act of
the legislature approved November 1, 1858. The precinct has; the
- Salem. This; town was named Salem, meaning city of
peace, after the biblical name. As the Indians were numerous in
the vicinity this name was given hopefully to the town. It was
laid out on January 30, 1855, by Justus C. Lincoln (a relative of
President Abraham Lincoln) and two other men, Thomas Hare and J.
W. Roberts, who established the first post office and store. The
county seat was temporarily located here February 9, 1857,
permanently on October 3, 1858. It was incorporated by an act of
the legislature approved February 10, 1857. The precinct has the
- Shubert. The town of Shubert was named in honor of
Henry W. Shubert (1834-1909). one of the early settlers of
Richardson county, Nebraska.
- Stella. This town was laid out in November, 1881, and
named after Stella Clark, a daughter of J. W Clark, of Covington,
Kentucky, who owned the land on which the town-site is
- Straussville. Gustave Strauss named the plat of this
town for himself when it was laid out on his land a few miles;
north of Falls City on the Missouri Pacific railroad.
- Verdon. This town was laid out by John A. Hall and his
wife Julia, who filed the plat February 22, 1882. The railroad
company suggested the name Verdon and it was approved by Mr. Hall.
It is not definitely known just why this name was chosen, but the
report is that it was built out of the word verdure.
Rock county was so
named on account of its rocky soil. This county was formed from Brown
county by vote November 6, 1888.
- Bassett. This town was named in honor of S. W. Bassett,
a ranchman, who in 1871 took into this part of the country its
first herd of cattle, in order to test the quality and fitness of
the native grasses for cattle food. Thus he became the founder of
one of the most important industries in the state of Nebraska.
Bassett is the county seat of Rock county. The precinct has the
- Buell. An inland locality in Pewaukee precinct,
apparently named for a local resident.
- Butka. Butka was named for its first postmaster, Frank
Butka. The town was originally located, about forty years ago, on
the Calamus river, eleven miles southwest of its present site.
Since then it has been moved three times, each time retaining its
- Cuba. An inland locality near the Niobrara river in
Brinkerhoff precinct. The name is probably for Cuba, Illinois.
Many villages in the United States have this name all of which
directly or indirectly are named for the island of Cuba.
- Duff. This post office was given the name Duff by the
U. S. post office department at Washington, D. C., probably for a
- Hammond. The town of Hammond was named by the United
States post office department.
- Horsefoot. When this post office was established in
1905, Mr. Best, one of the settlers in the vicinity, tried to have
a Best post office, but since there was already a post office by
that name in the state, he was asked to select another name. He
then sent the post office department his cattle brand, which was a
horse's foot, and since that time this post office has been called
- Kirkwood. An inland locality in Kirkwood precinct, both
apparently named for a local settler.
- Malvern. An inland locality in Kinkaid precinct.
- Mariaville. The Mariaville post office was named for
Harriet Maria Peacock, the infant daughter of Thomas Peacock, in
whose home the office was established in the summer of 1882. This
child is supposed to have been the first white child in this
vicinity on the prairies of Nebraska.
- Newport. This town was named after Newport bridge,
which is built across the Niobrara river about ten or twelve miles
north of the town-site. It was so named because it was at that
time the town nearest the bridge. The precinct has the same
- Perch. An inland locality and a former post office in
- Pony Lake. Pony Lake post office was named for Pony
Lake, a beautiful body of water about one half mile from the
present office. The lake was so named because in the early days an
Indian boy was thrown and killed on its banks by a wild pony.
- Rock. This place was named after the county in which it
is located. It is in Center precinct.
- Rose. This name was chosen by Mr. C. A. Davison, the
first postmaster, on account of the abundance of wild roses in the
- Selden. An inland post office in Selden precinct. It
was so named for W. A. Selden, a pioneer settler and the first
- Shebesta. This post office is now discontinued but it
was named in honor of a homesteader, Charles Shebesta.
- Sybrant. Sybrant post office was named in honor of
David O. Sybrant.
- Thurman. A former inland post office in Thurman
precinct, both probably named after a local resident.
Saline county was
surveyed in 1855 and organized in 1868. The name Saline means
salt and it was given to the county because of the supposition
that somewhere within its boundaries were to be found numerous
extensive salt springs or salt deposits. This supposition, however,
has proved to be unfounded. Its boundaries were defined by an act of
the legislature approved March 6, 1855; reestablished and redefined
by an act approved January 26, 1856.
- Crete. In 1863 Mr. J. C. Bickle owned some land in what
is now the southwest part of Crete. He had it platted under the
name Blue River City, and the plat was recorded on August 3, 1870.
Mr. Bickle lived in a log house north of this plat and kept the
post office, which he called Crete post office because he and his
wife had come from Crete, Illinois. In the fall of 1870, the South
Platte Land Company purchased about a section of land north and
east of Blue River City and filed a plat of a town on this land
November 26, 1870. The following spring the two towns were
consolidated and Mrs. Bickle was given the honor of naming the new
town. She chose Crete, because she came from Crete, Illinois, and
had been living at Crete post office for several years. The limits
of the town were defined by an act of the legislature approved
March 7, 1871. The precinct has the same name.
- DeWitt. This town was named for a Mr. DeWitt,
supposedly a railroad man. It was incorporated by an act of the
legislature approved February 13, 1857. The precinct has the same
name. A near-by point on the Chicago, Burlington, and Quincy
railroad is known as DeWitt Junction.
- Dorchester. The site of Dorchester was selected by the
Burlington and Missouri Railroad Company in 1870. It was first
platted as DeWitt, but soon afterwards was platted as Dorchester.
There are two versions concerning the origin of the name. One is
that the town was named for a suburb of Boston, Massachusetts, the
home of some of the officials of the railroad. This is probably
the correct explanation of the origin of the name. The other
version is that Dorchester was named for Dorchester, England, by
an English engineer who was surveying for the government.
Dorchester, Massachusetts, was named for Dorchester, England. The
precinct is also known as Dorchester.
- Friend. The town of Friend was surveyed in November,
1873, and was named in honor of Charles E. Friend, on whose farm
the site is located. Mr. Friend was the first storekeeper and
postmaster of the town. The precinct has the same name.
- Plato. An inland locality in Monroe precinct, probably
named for Plato, Illinois. The name derives from the philosopher
of ancient Greece.
- Pleasanthill. A locally descriptive name tor an inland
village in Pleasant Hill precinct.
- Shestak. A station on the Chicago, Burlington, and
Quincy railroad in Big Blue precinct. It was named for an early
Bohemian emigrant, Vac. Sestak. The word derives from the Bohemian
shestak, originally sesták, a twenty-heller
piece of money (from sest six, hence a sixpence) of a
pre-war value of about five cents, present value three-fifths of a
cent, and is popularly known as a sesták.
- Swanton. Originally named Morris for an old settler in
the vicinity. There was, however, another town in the state named
Morris, so the name of this town was changed to Swanton, because
the site was located on Swan creek, in Swan Creek precinct.
- Tobias. Tobias Castor (1840-1901) was a very prominent
man in Saline county and this town was originally named Castor in
his honor. But on account of the fact that there was a town in
Nebraska named Custer, it was thought best to change the name
Castor to Tobias, in order to avoid confusion of mail.
- Western. The town of Western was established in 1872.
It was named in honor of Mr. West, a bachelor homesteader, on
whose farm a post office was established in 1871.
- Wilber. The site of Wilber was laid out in 1872 by
Professor C. D. Wilber of Illinois, for whom the town was named.
The date of founding is usually given as 1873. It is the county
seat of Saline county and is in Wilber precinct.
Sarpy county was
named in honor of Colonel Peter A. Sarpy (1804-1865), a conspicuous
figure in early Nebraska history. It was once a part of Douglas
county but was separated and organized into a new county by an act
approved February 7, 1857.
- Bellevue. Bellevue is the oldest town in the state of
Nebraska. It was organized as a city in 1856 but settlement in the
vicinity goes back to a much earlier date. An old tradition
accounts for the naming of Bellevue. It is said that in 1805 the
famous trapper and fur trader, Manuel de Lisa (1772-1820), the
first white settler of Nebraska, came to the spot where the city
now stands, and when he saw the beautiful scenery about him,
exclaimed, "Belle vue." He then staked out his fur trader's cabin
and began the first white settlement in Nebraska. Authentic
history shows that Lisa was in the vicinity in 1807 and 1809.
Bellevue was incorporated by an act of the legislature approved
March 15, 1855, and amended on the same date.
- Chalco. Chalco is a village on the Chicago, Burlington,
and Quincy railroad in the northern part of Sarpy county. There is
a town and a lake, both named Chalco, situated twenty-five miles
southeast of the city of Mexico. The word chalco is from the Greek
chalkos, brass (so named from the color), referring to the
native mineral or copper ore. Chalcocite is a native copper
sulphide, a mineral with a black color and a metallic luster.
Chalcopyrite or copper pyrites or yellow copper ore, is a common
ore of copper, containing copper, iron, and sulphur. It is
probable that the place in Mexico and the one in Nebraska derived
their names either directly or indirectly from the presence or
supposed presence of native copper ores. Chalco, Nebraska, is the
only place so named in the United States.
- Fort Crook. The village of Fort Crook was named after
the military post, Fort Crook, which it adjoins. Fort Crook
military was named for General George Crook (1828-1890) who fought
the Civil War.
- Gilmore. This place was named after an official of the
Union Pacific railroad.
- Gretna. Gretna was laid out and platted by the Lincoln
Land Company in October, 1887. It was incorporated on July 10,
1889. The name is of Scottish origin, probably for Gretna Green,
- La Platte. The original town of La Platte was located
about1855. Because of its proximity to the Platte river, the town
was subject to overflows. On this account a new town was platted
west of the original site and was named Larimer in honor of its
founders. The present town of La Platte was laid out by the Omaha
and Southwestern Railroad Company in 1870 and includes a part of
the old Larimer site. It was named because of its situation in the
Platte River valley.
- Meadow. The site of this town was originally a meadow
and on this account the town was called Meadow.
- Melia. A station on the Chicago, Burlington, and Quincy
railroad in Forest City precinct. The name is local in origin and
for an early resident in the vicinity.
- Papillion. This town was named after Papillion creek
which flows through the town. The name Papillion (papillon)
is taken from the French language and means butterfly. According
to local tradition the early French explorers named the creek
Papillion because many butterflies were found along its banks. The
town was incorporated by an act of the legislature approved
February 13, 1857. It is the county seat of Sarpy county.
- Richfield. The locallty of Richfield was setfled about
1890. The town is situated in the heart of one of the richest
farming communities in the west and it is from this fact that it
received the name Richfield.
- Springfield. The Missouri Pacific Railroad Company
surveyed and platted the town in November, 1881. Mr. J. D.
Spearman who owned the land on which the town was platted, named
it Springfield because of the abundance of large springs in the
was named for Alvin Saunders, governor of Nebraska territory,
1861-1867. The county was originally named Calhoun but the name was
changed by an act of the legislature approved January 8, 1862. The
original county was established and
the boundaries defined by an act approved January 26, 1856; and
redefined November 3, 1858.
- Ashland. This town was named by Mr. Argyle after
Ashland, the home of his ideal statesman, Henry Clay, near
Lexington, Kentucky. It was organized on March 4, 1870.
- Cedar Bluffs. So named because there is an abrupt bluff
in the vicinity on the Platte river where some cedar trees grew.
The precinct has the name Cedar for the same reason.
- Ceresco. Richard Nelson and Hod Andrus named this town
after Ceresco, Michigan, from which they came in 1868. Mr. Nelson
was the first postmaster at Ceresco, Nebraska. The word
Ceresco is supposed to derive from Ceres, the
goddess of corn and harvests, or from the Latin verb
cresco, "I grow."
- Colon. The first postmaster here was a man by the name
of Taylor who came from Michigan and established the office at an
early date. He named this office after Colon, Michigan. At that
time the office was about two miles north of its present location.
When the town was started the Colon post office was moved on the
town-site and its name adopted by the town.
- Ithaca. The name Ithaca was suggested by the county
surveyor of this locality. He was from New York state and was a
great admirer of Cornell University at Ithaca, New York. On this
account he wished the post office to be named Ithaca. An old
settler who still lives in the neighborhood was consulted as to
the name of the new post office. He recalled the island of Ithaca
in ancient Greece, the fabled home of Ulysses, and agreed with the
surveyor to name the new town Ithaca.
- Leshara. The town of Leshara was named after a Pawnee
Indian chief, Pita Lesharu who, with his tribe, lived in this
locality in the early days. The translation is Pita (man),
Lesharu (chief). Leshara is in Pohocco precinct.
- Malmo. The Swedish residents of this town named it
after the city and county of Malmo, Sweden.
- Mead. This town was first named Alvin by the railway
company but as there was another Alvin in the state the name was
changed to Saunders, after the county, when the post office was
established. Later the name was changed to Mead in honor of a
- Memphis. Named after Memphis, Tennessee. Some of the
early settlers in the vicinity were from Tennessee. The name
derives from the city in ancient Egypt. The Greek word
Memphis is from the Coptic Menfe, a corruption of
the Egyptian Men-nefer, meaning "good abode" or "pleasant
dwelling". Men-nefer was the name of a pyramid in the
vicinity of the ancient city and the name later extended to the
- Morse Bluff. This town was named for Charles W. Morse
of Northbend, Nebraska, who once owned the land on which the site
is located. The name Bluff is not at all descriptive of the place,
but was merely added to prevent confusion with another Morse on
the same railroad line. The precinct is known as Morse Bluffs.
- Plasi. An inland locality in Elk precinct. The name is
apparently of Bohemian origin and is for a local resident. The
word derives from the Bohemian plasi', he frightens or
scares, verb plasiti, to frighten or scare.
- Platte River. A junction on the Chicago and
Northwestern railroad, so named from the near-by Platte river.
- Pohocco. The name of a locality and a precinct in the
northeastern part of Saunders county. The word derives from
Pahuk, meaning headland or promontory, the Pawnee Indian
name of a prominent hill in the vicinity, on the Platte river, but
outside the limits of the precinct. The hill is the location or
reference for an important legend of the Pawnee mythology.
- Prague. When the railroad was built here and the
location of the station selected, the residents requested the
railroad company to name the station Prague. The surrounding
country for miles was settled by Bohemians and they selected the
name Prague after the capital of their country. For this reason a
near-by precinct is named Bohemia.
- Rescue. A village on the Chicago, Burlington, and
Quincy railroad in Chester precinct.
- Sand Creek. A locally descriptive name for a locality
in Douglas precinct.
- Swedeburg. This town was so named because of the large
number of Swedes who settled in the vicinity. It was laid out by
the Pioneer Town-Site Company in 1886.
- Touhy. Named after Patrick Touhy, a local employee for
many years of the Union Pacific railway, who advanced from section
hand to section foreman and later to higher positions.
- Valparaiso. The Johnson family who settled in this
vicinity in 1866 considered it the "Vale of Paradise" and so named
the town Valparaiso. They had first called the place Raccoon
Forks, because three creeks joined on the old homestead. Mr.
Johnson was the first postmaster here and at that time the post
office at Lincoln was not established. The railroad was not yet
built and mail was carried on horseback from Fremont.
- Wahoo. There is some dispute as to the origin of the
name Wahoo. One explanation is that it is derived from the
"euonymus" or "wahoo," commonly known as the "burning bush," which
grows on the banks of Wahoo creek. This shrub was a medicinal
plant of the Indians, according to traditional lore. From these
facts it is thought that the name came from the wahoo shrub and
the home of the "medicine man" of the tribe. Another explanation
is that Wahoo comes from "pahoo" which means "not very bluffy,"
but this is not very probable, judging from the rugged appearance
of the country. Gannett's work on place names states that "wahoo"
is an Indian word said to mean some species of elm. Wahoo is the
county seat of Saunders county. A neighboring precinct has the
- Wann. A village on the Chicago, Burlington, and Quincy
railroad in Marble precinct.
- Weston. This town was named by the officials of the
Union Pacific railroad company.
- Woodcliff. A locally descriptive name for a station on
the Chicago, Burlington, and Quincy railroad, near the Platte
river, in Pohocco precinct.
- Yutan. This village is named for an Otoe chief whose
name is variously spelled and variously pronounced, one form being
SCOTTS BLUFF COUNTY
receives its name from a prominent, local bluff known as Scott's
Bluff, a noted landmark by the side of the Platte valley. It is
situated about three miles southwest and across the North Platte
river from the city of Scottsbluff. It is 4662 feet above the sea
level and about 800 feet above the North Platte river at its base. It
is named for Hiram Scott, an early traveller, who perished at its
foot. Scotts Bluff county was formed from Cheyenne county by vote
November 6, 1888.
- Bradley. This station is on the Chicago, Burlington,
and Quincy railroad, near the east line of Scotts Bluff county, in
- Brockhoff. Brockhoff is a station on the Union Pacific
railroad and was named apparently for a local resident.
- Caldwell. A post office was established at this place
on the overland trail, with William Lancaster as postmaster, about
1871 or 1872 and called "Little Moon." This office was
discontinued about 1874. The present post office was established
about 1886 and named after an early, local resident.
- Covert. This station on the Chicago, Burlington, and
Quincy railroad is a siding for loading sugar beets. It was
probably named for a railroad man.
- Dorrington. This inland place is in the southwest part
of Scotts Bluff county. It was named for F. M. Dorrington, who did
some of the early government surveying in western Nebraska.
- Gering. The town of Gering, in Gering precinct, was
named in honor of Martin Gering, a Civil War veteran, banker, and
member of the original town-site company formed in 1887. Mr.
Gering died about five years ago in Washington, D. C. Martin
Gering and Oscar W. Gardner, under the firm name of Gering and
Gardner, established the pioneer store of the town. Mr. Gardner
was the first postmaster and the first notary public. Gering is
the county seat of Scotts Bluff county.
- Haig. Haig or Haigville is a station on the Union
Pacific railroad and was named for Harry Haig, an old friend of
John Clay who was a local cow-boy, in the early days, with the Two
Bar outfit. Harry Haig is a relative of some of the Haigs who were
generals in the English army during the recent war. The post
office is called Haigville to distinguish it from Hoag, Gage
county, and to prevent confusion of mail.
- Henry. This town was named in honor of a boy named
Henry Nichols who was drowned in the Platte river about a year
before the town was started. His father, Yorick Nichols, at one
time owned most of the town-site.
- Heyward. Heyward or Heyward Siding is a station on the
Chicago, Burlington, and Quincy railroad. It was named after
Heyward G. Leavitt who was active in establishing the sugar
industry in the North Platte valley.
- Hope. This place is a community center established by
Henry Nehne, a Boer, who refused to live under English rule in
South Africa. The name, Hope, is expressive of the mental attitude
or anticipations of the residents.
- Larissa. This inland post office is one of the first
established in Scotts Bluff county. It was named for a daughter of
W. B. Cole, the postmaster.
- McGrew. This place is a station on the Union Pacific
railroad and was named for a promoter of the town-site who was a
resident of Omaha.
- Melbeta. This place is a station on the Union Pacific
railroad and a shipping point for sugar beets and for this reason
was so named. Melbeta is of German origin and is locally
considered to mean "sugar beets."
- Minatare. Named after the Minnetaree Indians, a tribe
of the Siouan stock. It is situated in Tabor precinct which was so
named by George W. Fairfield, a local surveyor, after his
son-in-law Wian Tabor.
- Mitchell. In the early days of the Overland or Oregon
trail through the Platte valley in this vicinity a fort or
stockade was built near the western base of Scotts Bluff by Bruce
Hubbard and named by him Fort Fontenelle, after Lucien Fontenelle,
one of his partners. Later Lucien Fontenelle was in charge of the
fort and he renamed it Fort Mitchell, after his friend David D.
Mitchell. Because of Fort Mitchell the pass by Scotts Bluff was
called Mitchell Pass, the valley Mitchell valley, the precinct
Mitchell precinct, the bridge Mitchell bridge, and the irrigation
system Mitchell ditch. When the post office was established for
this vicinity it was given the same name, Mitchell.
- Morrill. This town was named in honor of Charles H.
Morrill, originally of New Hampshire and Iowa, who was president
of the Lincoln Land Company and at one time owned a great deal of
land in the vicinity. Mr. Morrill was for twelve years a regent of
the State University of Nebraska. He now lives at Stromsburg,
Nebraska. Morrill county was named after him.
- Roubedeau. A pass in Scotts Bluff county, Nebraska,
named for Antoine Roubedeau, a French trader. A river in Delta
county, Colorado, is also named for him.
- Scottsbluff. Scottsbluff is the most imposing of the
elevations in the Platte valley. The town is named from the ridge
or bluff which in turn took its name from a noted mountaineer,
Hiram Scott, whose body was found at the foot of the bluff.*
( * See the account of the tragic manner of Scott's death
in Edwin Bryant's What I Saw in California, 1846, 1847,
various editions; also Washington Irving's The Adventures of
Captain Bonneville. )
- Sedan. Sedan is an inland place in Tabor precinct. It
was formerly a post office on the main route from Gering to
- Snell. This place is a station on the Chicago,
Burlington, and Quincy railroad. It is named for an early, local
- Toohey. An early name for this station on the Chicago,
Burlington, and Quincy railroad was Stewart Siding. It is believed
that Toohey was named for a railway official.
- Woodrow. This inland post office is located in the
southern part of Scotts Bluff county. It was established about
1913 or 1914 and named after Woodrow Wilson, then president of the
United States, by C. L. Schuler, the postmaster.
© 2001 for the NEGenWeb Project by Connie Snyder