This is a NEGenWeb
Project On-Line Library
| Sherman |
| Valley |
| Wayne |
Seward county was
named for William H. Seward (1801-1872), secretary of state during
President Lincoln's administration. It was originally named for
General Greene of Missouri and was renamed when General Greene joined
the Confederacy during the Civil War. The name was changed to Seward
by an act of the legislature approved January 3, 1862. The original
county was established and its boundaries defined by an act approved
January 26, 1856. The boundaries were previously defined by an act
approved March 6, 1855.
- Beaver Crossing. This town was named after a place not
far from the town-site where the overland trail from Fort
Leavenworth crossed Beaver creek. The town-site was platted by the
Pioneer Town-Site Company in 1887. Beaver creek gets its name from
the former presence of beaver in the vicinity.
- Bee. The sixteen precincts in Seward county are
lettered alphabetically from A to P, beginning in the northeast
corner of the county with the letter A. The town of Bee is in B
precinct and is named after it.
- Cordova. This town was established on the Fremont,
Elkhorn, and Missouri Valley railroad, now the Chicago and
Northwestern, in the fall of 1887. It was originally named Hunkins
in honor of C. W. Hunkins, the first postmaster, but on account of
the fact that there was a town by the name of Hoskins in Wayne
county, Nebraska, the United States post office department advised
a change of name in order to prevent confusion of mail. Mr.
Hunkins suggested the name Cordova, after Cordova, Spain, because
of its dissimilarity to the name of any other post office in the
state. This name was accepted by both the post office department
and the railroad.
- Garland. The name of this town was formerly Germantown.
It was changed to Garland during the World War, in honor of Ray
Garland, a soldier from the vicinity, who died in France. The
former name, Germantown, was given with reference to local German
- Goehner. Goehner was named in honor of Mr. John F.
Goehner of Seward, Nebraska, a prominent merchant and a member of
the legislature. The Pioneer Town-Site Company platted this town
- Milford. Mr. J. L. Davison made the first settlement in
this vicinity in the spring of 1864. He built a log house on the
site of the present hospital building at Milford (The Pines), and
opened a ranch on the steam wagon road. Later he improved a ford
on the Blue river and moved a mill from Weeping Water Falls and
placed it just above the ford. Thus the name Milford
- Pleasant Dale. The late J. H. Culver, a captain in the
United States army, gave the name Pleasant Dale to the town,
because of the beautiful valley, in which it is situated. The town
originally stood one mile east and one-half mile north of its
present location and was supplied by stage service.
- Seward. The town of Seward was named after Seward
county of which it is the county seat.
- Staplehurst. In 1873, Ebenezar Jull settled on a piece
of land one and one-half miles south of Staplehurst on the banks
of Lincoln creek. He, with his wife and children, came here from
the little village of Staplehurst, England. Three years later when
a post office was established at his home his eldest daughter, May
Jull, was postmistress, and she named the office Staplehurst after
her old home in England. In 1879 the post office was moved to its
present location, but it retained its name.
- Tamora. This place was surveyed into lots in 1879.
Philip G. Tyler, who built the first house in the town, says that
J. W. Scott, S. N. Scott, William Riser, and Mr. Chapen each
donated ten acres from their quarter sections at the common corner
for a free town-site in order to get a depot located. Each donator
wanted the town named for him but the town was too small for so
many names "so they called it Tamora to suit all," evidently a
play on the word tomorrow with the idea if they could not select
the name today they would tomorrow, spelling the word as it was
frequently pronounced on the frontier. It is also suggested that
the name may have been derived from Tamoria, a variant of Tamaroa,
the name of a tribe of Indians of Illinois, for whom a village in
Perry county, Illinois, was named. Another guess is that the name
is for T. A. Mora.
- Utica When a post office was established in the
neighborhood in the home of G. A. Derby, his daughter was
appointed postmistress and the name Utica was chosen, this being
then the name of the precinct or township in which it was located.
Later Dr. Derby laid out the town, and named it Utica after the
original post office. The first store building was erected by
Thomas Standard; and Miss Derby (now Mrs. Harry Vanderhoof of
Seward, Nebraska) resigned her position in his favor. The name was
taken from Utica, New York.
was named for Philip H. Sheridan (1831-1888), the noted general of
the Civil War period. Its boundaries were defined by an act of the
legislature approved February 25, 1885.
- Adaton. Named by the cowboys of the vicinity after Mrs.
Ada Foster, the first postmaster and the first white woman living
in Beaver valley. It is in Beaver precinct.
- Albany. This town was named after Albany, New York, by
W. D McIntyre who came from New York state. It is in Wounded Knee
- Antioch. The name Antioch was given to the town by the
family of W. G. Wilson after a town in Iowa [Ohio] from
which they had come to Nebraska. The original name of the post
office was Reno, but because of confusion of mail with Reno,
Nevada, a change was made.
- Bingham. A village on the Chicago, Burlington, and
Quincy railroad in Bingham precinct. It was probably named for a
local resident or a railroad man or possibly for Bingham,
Minnesota. The precinct has the same name.
- Clinton. This town was named after Clinton, Iowa. It
was platted by the Pioneer Town-Site Company in 1894. The precinct
has the same name.
- Ellsworth. A village on the Chicago, Burlington, and
Quincy railroad in Ellsworth precinct. It was probably named for
Ellsworth, Minnesota, or possibly for a local resident or a
- Gordon. This town was named in honor of John Gordon of
Sioux City, who with a train of wagons attempted to travel to the
Black Hills when the country was still a part of Indian territory
and closed to white settlers. He was overtaken about five miles
from the present location of this town by a lieutenant in command
of a detachment of United States cavalry. Mr. Gordon's oxen were
turned loose and his wagons and freight burned. For this offense
the lieutenant was later dismissed from the service.
- Grayson. An inland village in the southern part of
Minnetonka precinct. The name is probably local in origin.
- Hay Springs. This town receives its name from its
location in the center of meadow country where the soil is
moistened by numerous springs. The precinct has the same name.
- Hilton. Mrs. Carrie E. Smith, the first postmistress at
Hilton, named this town in honor of her nephew, William Hilton
Merrill. It is in the northern part of Schill precinct.
- Hunter. This place is in Hunter precinct. It and the
precinct were named after Hunter's ranch which was in the vicinity
at a very early date.
- Lakeside. The town of Lakeside was established as soon
as the railroad was built through the vicinity in 1886. It is
located beside a large lake, and there are many lakes surrounding
it. On this account the town was given the name Lakeside. The
precinct has the same name.
- Long Lake. Long Lake post office in Sharp precinct,
derived its name from a lake about two miles long and one-half
mile wide, extending in a straight line. This lake is located in
the immediate vicinity of the office.
- Marple. This post office was originally located in Box
Butte county where a skinning station was established about
twenty-five years ago. The head of this enterprise was a man by
the name of Marple, in whose honor the post office was named.
Later the station was discontinued and the office moved into
Sheridan county where it continued under its original name. It is
the only post office in the United States by the name of
- Mirage. Mirage post office in Mirage precinct, was
named after the mirage which is often visible in this vicinity.
The office here is now discontinued.
- Moomaw. This place in the northern part of Box Butte
precinct, was named after J. P. Moomaw, the first postmaster and a
pioneer of the vicinity. The post office has been
- Peters. Named after George S. Peters, the first
postmaster. It is in Running Water precinct.
- Rushville. Rushville, the county seat of Sheridan
county, was named after Rush creek which flows near the town. The
creek is a dry stream which received its name from the large
growth of rushes in the vicinity. This name was given to the creek
by one of the first surveyors in the county. It is not recalled
whether Rush was the name of the surveyor or not. Gannett's work
on place names states that Rushville was so named because of the
extensive growth of rushes in the vicinity.
- Schill. An inland place in Schill precinct, both
probably named for a local settler.
- Spade. The Spade ranch in this vicinity was the first
to have the post office, hence the name Spade was given to the
town. It is in Spring Lake precinct.
- Strasburger. This place is in Spring Lake precinct. It
was named for John B. Strasburger, the postmaster. The post office
has been discontinued.
- Whiteclay. Whiteclay post office, formerly located
about one and one-half miles south of its present location, was
named after White Clay creek. It is in the northern part of
Sheridan county, in Extension precinct.
Sherman county was
formally organized in the fall of 1873. The county was named in honor
of General William Tecumseh Sherman (1820-1891). The county was
officially organized and the boundaries defined by an act approved
March 1, 1871.
- Ashton. John P. Taylor, an old settler in Ashton, named
this town after his old home, Ashton, Illinois. The precinct has
the same name.
- Austin. Austin was named for Austin Butts who was a
pioneer settler in the vicinity. It is in Clay precinct.
- Hazard. The name originally selected was Bunnell, but
finding this name preempted other names were suggested by those
holding conference and were found to be objectionable. A person
present remarked that they "would hazard some name"; another
replied that "hazard" it would be, so the town was named Hazard.
The precinct has the same name.
- Litchfield. This town was laid out in 1886. It was
probably named for Litchfield, Connecticut. It is in Harrison
- Loup City. This town was named because of its location
in the middle Loup valley. The first settlements in the vicinity
were made in 1873. The Loup valley was at one time occupied by the
Wolf or Skidi tribe of the Pawnee Indians and received its name
from them. The word loup is the French translation of the Pawnee
word Skidi, meaning wolf. Loup City is the county seat of Sherman
county and is in Loup City precinct.
- Rockville. Rockville is named for Rock creek which runs
along the west side of the town. The creek is so named because of
the numerous lime rocks in its bed. The precinct has the same
- Schaupps. This town receives its name from the Schaupps
brothers who at one time owned a great deal of land where the
town-site is now located. It is in Loup City precinct.
Sioux county was
named for the Sioux tribe of Indians. The boundaries were defined by
an act of the legislature approved February 19, 1877, and redefined
February 19, 1885.
The word Sioux
is derived from the Chippewa (Ojibway) name of the tribe
Nadowe-is-iw, signifying "snake or little snake," which by
metaphor means "enemy." The French corruption of this word in
Nadowessioux, which became shortened to Sioux.
- Agate. James H. Cook named this post office after his
ranch (The Agate Springs Ranch) when it was established there in
the early eighties. The Agate Springs Ranch was so named because
of the deposits of agate found at this point and because of the
springs which flow from some of them.
- Aldine. Mr. and Mrs. R. H. Brown were the first
postmasters and they named the postoffice after a girl friend.
- Andrews. This town was originally named Hunter but was
renamed Andrews because there was another Hunter in the state. It
was named Andrews in honor of the man who homesteaded the land on
which the town is located. The precinct has the same name. It is
also stated that the town was named for Jew Andrews, the locating
engineer for the Chicago and Northwestern railway.
- Ashbrook. The Ashbrook brothers, Link and Harry, owned
a ranch in this vicinity at an early date and also had charge of
the post office. The town of Ashbrook was named for them.
- Bodarc. This place is situated in Hat Creek precinct.
Grant L. Shumway gives the following account of the origin of this
placename: "Bodarc was named by John W. Hunter in a very singular
manner. Hunter and C. F. Slingerland were in partnership and ran a
store on Hat creek. They wanted a post office and it needed a
name. Hunter's little daughter was named Oressa which was
suggested as the name of the post office. Down in Texas there is a
shrub called bodarc and the people of a Texas community
were asking for a post office and that it be named Bodarc. In some
inexplicable way the department at Washington crossed the names
and gave the Texas post office the name of Oressa and the Sioux
county post office the name of Bodarc. Bodarc had a newspaper
called The Record, published by Slingerland, who is
now, I believe, on the Omaha Bee. Bodarc was a contestant
for the county seat when Sioux county was organized." The word
bodarc is a corruption of the French bois d'arc, a thorny
shrub or small tree, usually designated as the osage orange,
native of Texas, frequently utilized for hedges. A Southern place
name derived from the same source is "Bodock."
- Coffee Siding. A station on the Chicago and
Northwestern railroad near the state line, named for Charles F.
Coffee, a local cattleman, now president of the First National
Bank of Chadron, Nebraska.
- Curly. An inland post office in Snake Creek precinct,
named after the first postmaster, a rancher, at this place.
- Glen. This town was so named because of its location in
- Harrison. This place was first named Bowen for John S.
Bowen of Blair, Nebraska. Later the name Harrison was suggested
for this post office by the department at Washington. It was named
for President Benjamin Harrison. Harrison is the county seat of
- Kelley. This office is located in Sheep Creek precinct.
It was named after Mattie A. Kelly, the postmistress.
- Malinda. This place was named for Malinda, a relative
of John Wildy at whose home the first post office was located.
Malinda is near the southeast corner of Sioux county in Lowell
- Montrose. Montrose post office is located on the high
banks of Hat creek which are covered with wild roses. It is after
these two characteristics that the town of Montrose received its
- Mud Springs. This place is near the center of Lowell
precinct. It was named by a ranchman because of the muddy soil
always about a spring in the vicinity, which was mostly a seep
over a large area of ground.
- Orella. This town was originally named Harold, then
Adelia. It is not known why the town was renamed Orella, after a
young lady of the neighborhood whose first name was Orella.
- Story. The Story post office was named in honor of
Solomon R. Story, a Civil War veteran and postmaster of the
- Unit. A former, inland post office in Cottonwood
precinct, probably named for a local settler.
Stanton county was
named in honor of Edwin M. Stanton (1814-1869, American secretary of
war, 1862-1867) in 1862, by an act approved January 10, 1862, when
its present boundaries were defined. Before that time it was known as
Izard county, named in honor of Mark W. Izard, territorial governor
of Nebraska, 1855-1857. The boundaries were defined by an act
approved January 26, 1856, and redefined January 10, 1862.
- Bega. An inland village in Dewey precinct. The name
derives from a river of eastern Hungary.
- Haymow. An inland locality in Haymow precinct. The name
is apparently a locally descriptive one.
- Pilger. This town was named for Peter Pilger who owned
the land on which the town-site was platted. It is in Humbug
- Stanton. The town of Stanton was platted by S. L.
Halman in 1871. Mr. Halman named the town in honor of his wife
whose maiden name was Stanton. The claim is also made that the
town was named for Edwin M. Stanton, after whom the county was
named. Stanton is the county seat of Stanton county. The precinct
has the same name.
Thayer county was
originally called Jefferson county. It was given its present name in
1870 in honor of General John Milton Thayer, United States senator
from Nebraska, 1867-1871, and governor of Nebraska, 1887-1892.
- Alexandria. This town was located by the Nebraska Land
and Town Company in 1871. It was named in honor of S. J.
Alexander, secretary of state of Nebraska, 1879-1882.
- Belvidere. An official named Harbine of the Saint
Joseph and Grand Island railroad named this town in accordance
with its alphabetical system of naming the stations along that
road, probably for Belvidere, Illinois, or New Jersey. The word
belvidere is a variant of the Italian belvedere,
meaning "beautiful to see."
- Bruning. This town was named for Frank Bruning and his
three brothers who were early settlers in the vicinity.
- Byron. The town of Byron was named for the English
poet, George Noel Gordon, Lord Byron (1788-1824).
- Carleton. Coldrain was the first name given this town.
It was changed to Carleton at the request of the owner of the
town-site in honor of his son, Carleton. An old maps the name is
given as Coleraine.
- Chester. This town was laid out by the Lincoln Land
Company on July 29, 1880.
- Davenport. Davenport was laid out in 1872 and was named
after Davenport, Iowa.
- Deshler. Mr. John Deshler owned the original site of
this town and it was named in his honor.
- Friedensau. J. J. Kern was the first settler here in
1873. The town was settled by German colonists who gave it the
name Friedensau or "the vale of peace."
- Gilead. This town is named for Gilead precinct in which
it is located. The name derives from Mount Gilead, Palestine.
Towns of the same name are in Maine, Ohio, Indiana, and
- Hebron. In 1869 Hebron was organized and named by a
group of pioneers who identified themselves with the Disciples of
Christ. It was named after the ancient city, Hebron of Palestine,
mentioned in the Bible. Hebron, Palestine, is located in a
picturesque valley and these pioneers took refuge in the beautiful
valley of the Little Blue river. Hebron is the county seat of
- Hubbell. In August, 1880, this town was laid out by the
Lincoln Land and Loan Company and named for Hubbell H. Johnson, on
whose farm the site is located. Mr. Johnson is the oldest resident
of the town. He has lived in Hubbell for over fifty years and owns
a great deal of property in the vicinity.
- Kiowa. This place is an inland village in Kiowa
precinct. It is named for the Kiowa tribe of Indians reported by
Lewis and Clark in 1805 as living on the North Platte river.
- Stoddard. This village is a station on the Chicago,
Burlington, and Quincy railroad in Stoddard precinct. The name is
probably of local or railway origin.
- Williams. This town is located on land formerly owned
by Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Lamb and was named after their son
Thomas county was
named in honor of Major General George H. Thomas (1816-1870) of Civil
War fame. The boundaries were defined by an act of the legislature
approved March 31, 1887.
- Halsey. This town was named in honor of Halsey Yates of
Lincoln, who was a member of the party that surveyed the railroad
through the vicinity.
- Natic. A station on the Chicago, Burlington, and Quincy
railroad in Natic precinct, both named for Natick, Massachusetts.
The name derives from the Natic tribe of Indians of Massachusetts.
Gannett's work on place names states that the name means "place of
- Norway. The town of Norway was named by the Chicago,
Burlington, and Quincy railroad when the road was first built
through the town. A post office was established here under the
same name in 1906. The precinct has the same name. Presumably the
name is due to the presence of Norwegian settlers in the
- Seneca. This village is a station on the Chicago,
Burlington, and Quincy railroad in Seneca precinct. The name comes
from the Seneca tribe of Indians.
- Thedford. The Chicago, Burlington, and Quincy railroad
named this town at the time when it was laid out and platted. It
is the county seat of Thomas county. The precinct has the same
name. The name is probably directly or indirectly for Thedford,
was named for United States Senator John M. Thurston who assisted in
effecting the organization of the county out of territory under the
jurisdiction of Dakota, Wayne, and Burt counties. It was originally
named Blackbird county in honor of the first Omaha chief of whom
there is definite knowledge. According to Lewis and Clark who visited
his grave in 1804, he died in 1800. The Indian name of Chief
Blackbird was Wagigasabey [Wazhinga Sabe]. It is also
authoritatively stated that the county was originally named Black
Bird after the mythological Thunder Bird of the Indians. The
boundaries of the county were defined by an act of the legislature
approved March 7, 1855.
- Macy. This post office was originally named Omaha
Agency because it is the Agency of the Omaha Indians. It was
thought best, however, to change the name because so much mail was
being missent to Omaha. In forming the new name, the second
syllable of Omaha (-ma-) was taken plus the last syllable
of agency (-cy) and the office was called Macy.
- Pender. Pender, the county seat of Thurston county, was
organized on Friday 2, 1886. It was originally two miles south of
its present location and was at that time called Athens. The name
was changed to Pender in honor of John Pender, an Englishman, who
was noted as a cable builder and who was a director of the
Chicago, St. Paul, Minneapolis, and Omaha railroad. The town was
moved to its present location through railroad cooperation.
- Rosalie. Rosalie was named for Rosalie La Flesche, a
daughter of Joseph La Flesche (died 1888), French-Indian chief of
the Omaha tribe. Rosalie La Flesche was the wife of Edward Farley
of Bancroft and a sister of "Bright Eyes," as she was named by her
white husband, Thomas Tibbles.
- Thurston. The town of Thurston was named for United
States Senator John M. Thurston of Nebraska, like the county. This
place was formerly called Flournoy and the precinct still retains
- Walthill. James J. Hill, the builder of the Great
Northern Railroad, had several sons. One of them, Walter Hill, was
sent to this vicinity during the building of the Sioux City and
Lincoln branch of the Burlington railroad in which the Hills were
interested. Walter Hill became very friendly with a local man by
the name of Hutchins and they organized a town-site company
together. When the time came for naming this town Mr. Hutchins
insisted that it be given the name of his friend, "Walt Hill."
Settlement in the new town was begun in the spring of 1906.
- Winnebago. The town of Winnebago was named for the
Winnebago tribe of Indians. Allouez, the French explorer who first
intelligently wrote of the tribe, spells the name
Ovenibigoutz, the Algonquian appellation which, freely
translated, means "the disfavored ones." In the Jesuit
Relations the name occurs as Ouinibegouc,
Ouinipegouec, and Ouenibegoutz. This in our spelling
has been transformed to Winnebago. The Winnebagoes own name for
their people is Ho-tchan'-ga-ra.
settlement was made in Valley county in April, 1872. The county was
established by the legislature of 1873 and was so named because it
was composed mostly of valley land, lying between higher table lands.
It was created and the boundaries de-defined by an act approved March
- Alta. A former, inland post office in Noble precinct.
The name derives from the Latin word altus, referring to a
high or elevated position.
- Arcadia. The site of Arcadia was laid out in 1885, and
the plat put on record October 3, 1885. It was named by Mrs.
Samuel A. Hawthorne who served as the first postmaster and who at
one time taught school in the village. She understood the meaning
of "Arcadia" to be "the feast of flowers." At that time this
valley was filled with beautiful wild roses in bloom, which made
the name seem appropriate to her. The town was first called
Brownville in honor of Porter Brown who came to the vicinity in
April, 1873, and who is considered the real father of the
settlement. The name was changed because there was another town of
the same name in the state. The precinct has the same name.
- Elyria. The name Eldon was first given to this town,
but since there was another town in the state by that name, it was
changd to Elyria. It is not known why the latter name was
selected. The precinct has the same name.
- Geranium. The name of a former, inland post office and
a locality in Geranium precinct. The name is floral in origin.
- Lee Park. This village was laid out in 1884 near the
southwest corner of the county on the west county line, a portion
being previously laid out over the line in Custer county, the post
office was established in Valley county. The name is in honor of
James Lee, the first settler, who came here in September, 1874.
The local valley is known as Lee's Park and formerly the post
office had the same name. A creek in the vicinity is known as
Lee's creek. Later the post office was moved over into Custer
country and finally discontinued. The nearness of Arcadia brought
on decay and eventually the village disappeared but the name
clings to the neighborhood.
- Miracreek. A locally descriptive flame for a former
inland post office and a locality in Enterprise precinct.
- North Loup. A post office was established at North Loup
in 1872. It was so named because of its location in the valley of
the North Loup river.
- Ord. Ord was surveyed early in the year, 1874, by
Haskill brothers, O. S. and O. C., and A. M. Robbins. General E.
O. C. Ord was at that time in command of the military department
of the Platte and the town was named for him. Ord is the county
seat of Valley county.
was named for General George Washington (1732-1799). Its boundaries
were defined by an act of the legislature approved February 22, 1855,
on the anniversary of Washington's birthday, and redefined November
2, 1858. The western boundary was redefined by an act approved
January 12, 1860. More than thirty states have thus honored
- Admah. This town was named after a Bible town of that
name, a place near Sodom. Admah is a Hebrew word mearning
- Arlington. This town was originally named Bell Creek
after a near-by stream which was named for a family of early
settlers on its banks. The name was changed to Arlington in 1882
after a place on the Potomac river in Virginia. The Sioux City and
Pacific Railway Company platted the town in 1869.
- Blair. The history of Blair dates back to 1869 when the
town was platted. It was named in honor of John I. Blair
(1802-1899), of New Jersey, the great railroad builder and
controller of railroad operations, who owned the land on which the
town is located. At one time Mr. Blair was president of the Sioux
City and Pacific railroad Company. He was well known for his
philanthropic work. Blair is the county seat of Washington
- Bowen. This town was named in honor of John S. Bowen,
an early settler of Blair, Nebraska. The Pioneer Town-Site Company
platted the town in 1886.
- Coffman. This town was named for Dr. V. H. Coffman who
owned the farm on which it is platted.
- Cuming City. Cuming City was mapped and surveyed in the
spring of 1865. It was named in honor of Thomas B. Cuming, acting
Governor of Nebraska at that time. It was incorporated by an act
of the legislature approved February 16, 1857.
- Dale. This town was named in honor of General Samuel
Dale of Alabama.
- De Soto. The town of De Soto is located in De Soto
township. The town and township were named in honor of the
sixteenth-century Spanish explorer, Hernando De Soto. The town was
platted in the autumn of 1854. It was incorporated by an act of
the legislature approved March 7, 1855.
- Fontanelle. This town was settled by the Quincy,
Illinois, colony in 1854. It was named in honor of Logan
Fontenelle (1825-1855) interpretor on occasion for the Omaha
Indian delegation to Washington in 1854. The township in which it
is located was also named for the Indian chief. It was
incorporated by an act of the legislature approved March 14, 1855.
The name of the town was originally spelled Fontenelle. A creek in
Nebraska, a village in Hocking county, Ohio, and a city in Cache
county, Utah, were named Logan for Logan Fontenelle. A hotel and a
projected natural park in Omaha were named Fontanelle in honor of
- Fort Calhoun. The original name of this town was Fort
Atkinson, named in honor of Brevet Brigadier General Henry
Atkinson (died 1842), after whom four posts in different parts of
the country were named. Later it was named Fort Calhoun in honor
of J. C. Calhoun (1782-1850), secretary of war at the time. The
town was incorporated in November 4, 1858, and is located in Fort
Calhoun township. Originally the county seat was at Fort Calhoun
but was moved to De Soto by act of the legislature approved
November 3, 1858. The precinct has the same name.
- Herman. The town of Herman, located in Herman township,
was platted in 1871 by the railroad officials of the old Omaha and
Northwestern Railroad Company. It was named in honor of Samuel
Herman who held the position of cdnductor on this railroad for
- Kennard. This town was platted by the Sioux City and
Pacific Railroad Company and was incorporated as a village on
April 29, 1895. It was named for Honorable Thomas P. Kennard,
first secretary of state for Nebraska, 1867-1870. Mr. Kennard was
for many years a prominent citizen in Lincoln.
- Washington. This town was named for Washington county
in which it is located. It was platted by the Pioneer Town-Site
Company in 1887.
Wayne county was
named for Anthony Wayne (1745-1796), the American revolutionary
general. It was organized by a proclamation of Governor David Butler
in the fall of 1870. Its boundaries were defined and its organization
legalized March 4, 1871.
- Altona. This village was named after Altona, in
- Apex. A station on the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul,
Minneapolis, and Omaha railroad in Hoskins precinct. It was so
named because of its elevated position, being on or near the
- Carroll. E. W. Winter, general manager of the railroad,
named this town in honor of Charles Carroll (1737-1832) of
Carrollton, Maryland, one of the signers of the Declaration of
- Hoskins. When the Chicago, St. Paul, Minneapolis, and
Omaha railroad was built, there was a land company of Sioux City
that bought farms and established towns. The town of Hoskins was
named for a member of this company who lived in Sioux City. The
precinct has the same name.
- Sholes. This town was named for Lyman Sholes, an
official on the railroad. It was established in 1902.
- Wayne. The town of Wayne was named for Wayne county
which in turn was named for General Anthony Wayne. Wayne is the
county seat of Wayne county.
- Winside. When the Chicago, St. Paul, Minneapolis, and
Omaha railroad was first built, there was a station three miles
west and one mile south of the present location of this town. A
proposal was made to change the town-site and the person who chose
the new site named it Winside, because he considered he had hade a
settlement in Webster county was made on May 16, 1870, by members of
the Rankin Colony of Omaha. The county was named in honor of Daniel
Webster, the American statesman (1782-1852). The boundaries were
defined by an act approved February 16, 1867.
- Bladen. The Lincoln Land Company platted this town in
- Bluehill. The town of Bluehill was surveyed and platted
for the railroad company in September, 1878, by Anselmo B. Smith,
the town surveyor. It was first called Belmont but as there was
another town of the same name in the state the name was changed to
Bluehill. It derives its name from being located on the hills of
the Blue river. Gannett's work on place names states that the town
was "so named because of the bluish atmosphere surrounding the
hill on which the village is located."
- Cowles. This town was named in honor of W. D. Cowles
who was general freight agent of the Burlington and Missouri River
railroad prior to his death in 1876. The town was platted by
Anselmo B. Smith in September, 1878.
- Guide Rock. The town of Guide Rock was named for a
rocky bluff about two and a half miles southeast and across the
river from the town-site. This bluff is made up of rock and earth,
the face of which is almost perpendicular. The rock extends upward
from the ground from thirty to forty feet and is of a soft, scaly,
slaty composition. The earth extends above the rock for about the
same distance, making a total of approximately seventy-five feet.
At the foot of this formation is the old bed of the Republican
river. The rock served as a conspicuous landmark to early western
- Inavale. This town was named by a vote of the people,
In-a-vale, the vale being the Republican valley. W. J. Vance laid
out the town in 1884.
- Red Cloud. This town was named in honor of Red Cloud,
the last warrior chief of the Teton-Sioux Indians. Red Cloud was
born near the forks of the Platte river in 1821 and died on
December 10, 1909. Local tradition states that he held a war
council on what is now the town-site. Captain Silas Garber,
afterward Governor Garber, was the first settler, in 1870, and
platted the town on November 12, 1872. The town of Red Cloud is in
the middle of the Pawnee country and far from Red Cloud's country
which came no nearer than the line of the North Platte river. Red
Cloud is the county seat of Webster county.
- Rosemont. The Lincoln Land Company platted this town in
June, 1890. Claus Rose, Senior, at one time owned the town-site
and the town was named for him.
The county was
named in honor of Major Daniel H. Wheeler, long time secretary of the
Nebraska State Board of Agriculture, born November 26, 1834. The
boundaries of Wheeler county were defined by an act of the
legislature approved February 17, 1877.
- Arden. An inland village and a former post office near
the east line of Wheeler county in Caldwell precinct. The name
derives from Arden, an ancient forest of England.
- Bartlett. This town was named after Ezra Bartlett
Mitchell, the founder, in the year 1885 or 1886. It is the county
seat of Wheeler county. The precinct is also named Bartlett.
- Cumminsville. The name Cumminsville was given to this
town because the old town-site was built on land homesteaded by
Mr. Frank Cummins (or Cummings). Gannett's account of place names
gives the name as J. F. Cummings and states that he was county
clerk. The present post office is about three miles west of the
- Ericson. This town was named in honor of Christensen
Erickson and his two sons, Eric and Peter. The town-site was
homesteaded and sold to the town by the son, Peter Erickson. The
precinct is also named Ericson.
- Francis. An inland village and a former post office
near the northwest corner of Wheeler county in Francis precinct.
It and the precinct were probably named for a local resident.
- Headquarters. An inland place and a former post office
in Valley precinct. The name is locally descriptive.
- Lisle. Lisle is located in Gritty Ridge township. It
was named after Lisle, a brother-in-law of the first postmaster,
Harry Grout. The post office has been discontinued.
- Newboro. There was no particular reason for naming this
town Newboro, unless that a town or village was expected to
develop on the newly located site, hence "new town" or "new
- Pibel. An inland place and a former post office near
the south line of Wheeler county in Keaka precinct. The name is
probably for a local resident.
- Sheridan. An inland village and a post office near the
west line of Wheeler county in Buffalo precinct. It was named for
General Philip H. Sheridan (1831-1888), of Civil War fame.
Formerly the post office was in Garfield county.
- Wheeler. The original name was Baird, but because there
was then another office of the same name in western Nebraska the
place was rechristened in honor of Wheeler county in which it is
are given for the naming of York county. One is that it was named by
Alfred D. Jones for York, England. According to the second
explanation a number of early settlers came to the vicinity from York
county, Pennsylvania, and named York county, Nebraska, after their
former home. Its boundaries were defined by an act of the legislature
approved March 13, 1855; reestablished and redefined by an act
approved January 26, 1856.
- Arborville. The Reverend C. S. Harrison, formerly of
York, Nebraska, laid out this town. Along each street he planted
trees and named the streets after the trees, such as Box Elder
street, Cottonwood street, etc. These trees were to form arbors
over the streets, hence the name Arborville was given to the town.
The farmers' horses and the grasshoppers, however, ate or killed
all the trees. This is the only post office in the United States
called Arborville. The precinct has the same name.
- Benedict. This town was named in honor of E. C.
Benedict, president of the Kansas City and Omaha railroad. It was
incorporated in 1890.
- Bradshaw. Bradshaw was established in the fall of 1880
on the land owned by O. R. and J. M. Richards. It was named in
honor of Mrs. J. M. Richards, whose maiden name was Mary
- Charlestown. This town was named for Charles A. McCloud
of York, Nebraska, who procured the right-of-way for the railroad.
The town was platted by the Pioneer Town-Site Company in 1887.
- Gresham. This town was named in honor of Walter Quinton
Gresham, who was secretary of state in President Grover
Cleveland's cabinet. It was platted by the Pioneer Town-Site
Company in 1887.
- Henderson. Named for David Henderson who with his son,
John Henderson, Rudolph Fairbank, and Daniel George made the first
settlements on the Blue river, July 2, 1866. The town was
incorporated on October 4, 1899. Henderson precinct, in which
Henderson is located, was also named for this early settler.
- Houston. This town is named for Joseph D. Houston, an
early settler. Mr. Houston came to York county from England in
1870 and took up land in New York township. This town of Houston
was located by the Pioneer Town-Site Company in 1881.
- Lushton. The town of Lushton was surveyed and platted
in the spring of 1887. It was named for a railroad official by the
name of Lush in the same year when the Saint Joseph and Grand
Island railroad was built through the town.
- McCool Junction. A village on a junction point of the
Chicago, Burlington, and Quincy railroad in McFadden precinct. The
name is probably local in origin.
- Thayer. Named in honor of General John Milton Thayer of
Nebraska, who fought in the Civil War, after whom Thayer county
was named. The precinct has the same name.
- Waco. The land on which Waco is located was donated for
a town-site by a Miss Chapin who named the place Waco after her
former home, Waco, Texas. Miss Chapin is now a resident of
England. The precinct has the same name. Waco is the name of one
of the divisions of the Tawokoni Indians whose village stood on
the site of Waco, Texas.
- York. The original site of York was surveyed and
platted in October, 1896. It is presumed that the town took its
name from York county, but nothing very definite is known about
this. The town of New York, outside the city limits of York, was
incorporated in 1880. It was named by a Mr. Wooley, who owned the
land, in honor of the metropolis. This town is now a part of the
city of York. Gannett's treatise on place names states that York
and York county were named for a resident family. York is the
county seat of York county.
© 2001 for the NEGenWeb Project by Connie Snyder