On Line Library
Alsace-Lorraine, Aisne-Marne, St. Mihiel and Meuse-Aronne. He was promoted to rank of first lieutenant on August 22, 1917, and assigned as assistant in the first section of the General Staff, Rainbow division. On May 23, 1919, he was honorably discharged. In March, 1921, he enlisted in the Nebraska National Guard, and on April 26, was made first lieutenant of the 134th Infantry; he was promoted to captain 134th Infantry on July 8, 1921, and to major Quartermaster Corps, Nebraska National Guard, commanding the 35th division on May 11, 1923.
He was one of Nebraska's three representatives at the burial of the Unknown Soldier in Washington. He is a member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars and of the American Legion. In the latter organization he was vice-commander of Lincoln Post in 1921, past commander in 1928; and district commander of the 12th district 1929-30. He was elected department commander in 1931 and since 1919 has been chairman of the legislative committee.
On August 2, 1919, Mr. Poteet was married to Fay Stayner at Council Bluffs, Iowa. Mrs. Poteet was born at McCook, Nebraska, December 28, 1891, and was a teacher prior to her marriage. There are two sons, Marcus L., born August 6, 1922, and Samuel L., born October 22, 1924.
A Republican, he was manager of the campaign of Samuel R. McKelvie for governor in 1920, and field manager of Adam McMullen's campaigns in 1922-24-26. He is a member of the Nebraska State Bar Association and is on the executive committee of the Red Cross. He is a Mason and a member of the Scottish and York Rite bodies and the Shrine. In 1930 he served as master of Liberty Lodge No. 300, in 1928 was high priest of Lincoln chapter No. 6, and in 1927 master of Lincoln council. He is an Elk. His clubs are the Hiram Club and the Shrine Club. His hobby is gardening. Residence: Lincoln. (Photograph in Album):
Frederick Louis Pothast
Frederick Louis Pothast, the son of Philip and Mary (Wendt) Pothast, was born in Stephenson County, Illinois, June 4, 1878. His father, who was born in Germany, died in 1880, in Stephenson County, Illinois. He came to America from Germany, in 1866. His mother was born in Germany, in 1850, and is still living..
In 1896, Frederick Pothast was graduated from the Cortland, Nebraska, High School, and in 1899, from the Omaha Business College. He was married to Delia Clark on December 12, 1900, in Cortland. She was born near Parkersburg, West Virginia, December 24, 1877. They have two children: Audrey, born September 16, 1903, and Mildred, born April 24, 1905, who is married to Donald D. Lock.
He taught school for two years, became a merchant in Cortland, for four years, then traveled for the International Harvester Company a year. In 1904, he organized the Farmer's State Bank in Pickrell, Nebraska, of which he is cashier, and at present he owns the controlling interest.
Mr. Pothast owns six Gage County, Nebraska farms and one farm in Pawnee County, and two farms in Colorado. He is connected with the National Bank of Commerce and the Commerce Trust Company in Lincoln. He holds a life membership in the Young Men's Christian Association, and the Nebraskana Society. He is a Republican in politics, and is affiliated with the United Brethren Church He is a member of the board of trustees of York College, and also of the Pickrell school board. Residence: Pickrell.
Bird Stephen Potter
A druggist since 1910, Bird Stephen Potter was born at Gothenburg, Nebraska, September 16, 1888. His father, Woodward Reynolds Potter, born at Smicksberg, Pennsylvania, June 18, 1851, was a farmer whose death occurred at Gothenburg, January 2, 1915. His mother, Christina Good, was born at Smicksberg, May 3, 1854, and resides at Gothenburg.
Bird S. Potter attended district school, was graduated from the Gothenburg High School in 1908, and received his Ph. G. from Creighton College of Pharmacy in 1909. For two years he worked in the Hinkley Pharmacy, then purchased his own business which he has since operated.
He was married to Hazel May Strahle at Gothenburg on June 10, 1914, and to them two children were born, Paul Edward on July 24, 1915; and William Charles on February 22, 1921. Mrs. Potter, who was a teacher prior to marriage, was born at Gothenburg, January 11, 1892.
Mr. Potter is a Republican, has been a member of the school board six years, and has served one term as a member of the Examining Board of Pharmacy. He is a member of the Nebraska Pharmaceutical Association (president 1932), and the National Association of Retail Druggists. During the World War he was active in loan drives and Red Cross work, and still holds membership in the latter organization. He is a 32nd degree Mason, and Shriner, a member of the Chamber of Commerce, the National Geographic Society, and The Nebraskana Society.
He is a member of the First Presbyterian Church and the Gothenburg Country Club, is fond of golf and enjoys fishing and gardening. He is a Master Farmer (1932). Residence: Gothenburg. (Photograph in Album).
Ernest Rollie Potter
In 1858 Charles R. Potter left his native state of New York and started on the long and dangerous trip which was to establish him in a new home in the middlewesL He lived at Streetor, Illinois, for a period of two years where he married, and knew many interesting experiences through the intense political excitement prevalent in Abraham Lincoln's home state at that time. After the Civil War he moved with his family to Iowa where he remained until 1874 when he homesteaded near Red Cloud, Nebraska. He built the first frame house in Harlan County, a building which is still in use today.
Ernest Rollie Potter, son of Charles R. Potter, was born at Grandview Iowa, February 21, 1867, and for the past 57 years has been a farmer in Kearney County, Nebraska. His mother, who was born in Quebec, Canada, April 8, 1843, and died at Alma, Nebraska, February 26, 1923, was an ardent member of the Women's Christian Temperance Union, and held membership in the Children's Home-finding Society; her ancestry was Scotch and English.
Mr. Potter served as a member of the school board at Pleasant View School in Franklin County, Nebraska, from 1889 to 1915, and is now a member of the Red Cross, the Nebraskana Society, the Community Church at Wilcox. His chief recreations are reading and touring. He is a member of the Sons of the American Revolution.
On February 26, 1888, he married Mary Ellen Griswold at Wilcox, Nebraska. Mrs. Potter, who is interested in painting, was born at Greensburg, Indiana, September 7, 1869. They have four children: Jennie E., born December 18, 1888, who married Fred B. Julanf; Ward Stanley, born November 9, 1890, who married Alice Gochnaur; Hazel May, born July 25, 1893, who married Alvin J. Cook; and Leah Evelyn, born December 10, 1903, who married Roland A. Drishaus. Residence: Wilcox.
Frank J. Potter
Frank J. Potter was born at Monroe, Nebraska, July 26, 1887, the son of John and Mary (Whitehouse) Potter. His father, who was a farmer, was born in Worchestershire, England, and died at Monroe. His mother, who was born in Worchestershire, England, was a nurse.
Mr. Potter attended rural schools and later was a student at the normal college at Fremont, Nebraska. He was manager of the Potter Hardware & Implement
Company for five years, and prior to that was prominent in Platte County as a farmer; he was named as one of the 1928 Master Farmers of Nebraska.
He is a member of the Lincoln Chamber of Commerce, is treasurer of the Monroe High School, and is affiliated with the Monroe Evangelical Church of Monroe, holding membership in the church brotherhood. He is an Odd Fellow and a member of the Republican party.
His marriage to Alice Pearl Hoare occurred at Columbus, Nebraska, March 1, 1910. Mrs. Potter, whose grandfather was a chaplain in the Civil War, was born at Platte Center, Nebraska, March 3, 1889. Their two children are: Elton Edwin, born August 29, 1916; and Ruby Lois, born March 20, 1922. Mr. Potter's favorite sport is hunting and his hobby is traveling. Residence: Monroe.
Verne J. Potter
Verne J. Potter, retail implement dealer, was born at Zumbro Falls, Minnesota, October 22, 1895, son of William and Clara (Stegner) Potter. His father, born in Scarborough, England, in 1866, came to America in 1883. A wagon maker by trade, he is at the present time engaged in the oil business. His wife, born in Rising Sun, Indiana, September 23, 1865, is descended from Dutch and German settlers in Pennsylvania.
Educated in the public schools of Lake City, Minnesota, Verne J. Potter afterward took a course in typing and shorthand in night school and has completed a course with the Alexander Hamilton Institute. In high school he received letters in basketball, baseball and football.
Starting with a grain company in Minneapolis in 1913, Mr. Potter was transferred to Baudette, Minnesota, in 1915 as bookkeeper and accountant for a lumber firm. In 1917 he became associated with the John Deere Plow Company at Omaha in the credit and collection department. He was manager of the department during 1920 and 1921, and manager of the sales division until 1925.
Removing to Columbus in 1926, Mr. Potter started in the implement business for himself, adding branches at Genoa and Fullerton since that time. He is a member of the Chamber of Commerce, the Lions Club (director), the Elks and the Young Men's Christian Association (membership committee). He is a member of the Wayside Country Club and is fond of golf.
On June 6, 1917, he was married to Elsie B. Van Camp at St. Thomas, North Dakota. Mrs. Potter, a teacher prior to marriage, was born at St. Thomas, February 21, 1896. They have three children: William Van, born April 5, 1918; Vernice Jane, born August 8, 1919; and Kathryn Ann, born June 16, 1929. Residence: Columbus.
John Beckman Potts
John B. Potts, one of Omaha's most distinguished physicians and surgeons, was born at Morrisonville, Christian County, Illinois, July 4, 1876, the son of Thomas Franklin and Elizabeth (Stryker) Potts. He was graduated from the high school at Morrisonville, and in 1907 received his M. D. at the University of Nebraska College of Medicine, where he was a member of Alpha Omega Alpha, Beta Theta Pi, Phi Rho Sigma.
He acted as assistant to Dr. Harold Gifford from 1907 to 1910, and then began postgraduate work in New York, London, and Vienna. From 1907 to 1912 he practiced in ophthalmology and otolaryngology; since 1912 his practice has been limited to otology and oto-laryngology. He is now associate professor in otolaryngology at the University of Nebraska, and is otolaryngologist at the Bishop Clarkson Memorial Hospital of Omaha, the Nebraska Methodist Episcopal Hospital, and the University Hospital.
He is the author of a large number of papers on professional subjects, written for various medical societies, and most of them published later. They are: Some Comparative Measurements of the Skull and Sella Turcica, 1913; Frontal Sinus, Ocular Relations, Western Medical Review, December, 1915; Report of Operated Pituitary Tumor, Northwest Eye, Ear, Nose, and Throat Society, 1915; Modern Methods of Tonsillectomy and Instruments, read before the Missouri Valley Medical Society at St. Joseph, Missouri, March 24, 1916, and published in The Medical Herald; The Use of Radium in Tuberculosis of the Larynx, (a preliminary report) for The American Laryngological Rhinological and Otological Society, Denver, 1917; Diagnosis of Pituitary Tumor, Nebraska Medical Journal, 1916; Mastoidectomy, Post-operative Treatment, By Use of Surgical Solution of Chlorinated Soda, published in the Journal of the American Medical Association, 1919; Nasal Infection, The Basis of Certain Ocular Lesions, read before the Colorado Congress of Ophthalmology and Otolaryngology, 1919, and published in the American Journal of Ophthalmology 1920; Maxillary Sinus, Conservative Treatments of Mastoids by Use of Carrell-Dakin's Solution, and Modification Necessary to Secure the Best Results, published in the Journal of the American Journal of Ophthalmology, 1920; Post Operative Treatment of Simple Mastoidectomy, read before the State Medical Society, Omaha, 1921; Medicine of Yesterday, read before the Nebraska State Medical Association at Lincoln, May 13, 1925, and published in the Nebraska Medical Journal, July, 1925; Intracranial Complications Following Mastoiditis, Transactions, American Laryngological Rhinological and Otological Society, 1925; Globus Hystericus Frequently a Sexual Neurosis, March 1926; Report of Two Cases of Sinus Thrombosis with Operative Technique, 1927; Localization and Drainage of Brain Abscess of Otitic Origin, read before the annual meeting of the American Laryngological Rhinological and Otological Society at Wichita, Kansas, 1928, and published in the Annals of Otology, Rhinology, and Laryngology, June, 1928; Brain Abscess of the Temporo-Sphenoidal Lobe and Cerebellum with Comments on Operated Cases, read before the annual meeting of the Nebraska State Medical Association at Hastings, Nebraska, May 15, 1928, and published in the Nebraska Medical Journal, October, 1928; Angina Agranulocytosis, published in the Transactions of the American Laryngological Rhinological and Otological Society, and read before the annual meeting of the American Laryngological Rhinological and Otological Society at Washington, D. C., May, 1928; Angina Agranulocytosis, published in Archives of Otolaryngology, March, 1929; Brain Abscess and Meningitis Secondary to Acute Paranasal Sinusitis, read before the Midwestern Section of the American Laryngological Rhinological and Otological Society at Denver, and published in the Annals of this society, June, 1929; Results of Radical Sinus Operation on Asthmatics with Chronic Sinus Infection, read before the Midwestern section of the American Laryngological, Rhinological, and Otological Society, January, 1930, and published in the Transactions of the society; and Rational Operative Procedures for Chronic Hyperplastic Sinusitis in Asthma, a preliminary report read before the annual meeting of the American Laryngological, Rhinological, and Otological Society at Atlantic City, New Jersey, May, 1930, published in the Annals of this society.
Dr. Potts was united in marriage with Goldie Claire Goddin, at Barhamsville, Virginia, June 28, 1913. Mrs. Potts, who was born at Barhamsville, is the daughter of Sylvanus and Susan Eliza Goddin.
During the World War Dr. Potts was captain in the United States Army, stationed at Base Hospital Number 49 at Allerey, France, and was in charge of otolaryngology and head wounds for a center comprising seven hospitals and concentration camp. He is a member of the Nebraska State Medical Society; the Douglas County Medical Society; the American College of Surgeons; the
American Medical Association; the Academy of Ophthalmology and Otolaryngology; the American Laryngoligical, Rhinological and Otological Society, is credited with the American Board of Otolaryngology, and a fellow of the American Laryngological Association and American Otological Society.
He is a member of the Omaha Chamber of Commerce; Omaha Club, and the Omaha Country Club. He is affiliated with the First Central Congregational Church of Omaha. Residence: Omaha. (Photograph on Page 962).
William Thompson Poucher
One of Burt County's most prominent men is William Thompson Poucher, who was born at Mooresville, Indiana, September 18, 1878. He is the son of John and Annie Martha (Cross) Poucher, the former a clergyman and educator. John Poucher was born in Boothby, Graffoe, Lincolnshire, England, March 4, 1843, and came to America about 1855. He received the degrees of A. M. and D. D. from Garret Biblical Institute, and was professor of theology at De Pauw University. His death occurred at Orleans, Indiana, June 29, 1918. Annie Martha Cross was born in Ohio, July 20, 1844, and was graduated from Cincinnati Wesleyan College. For several years she was a teacher. Her death occurred at Greencastle, Indiana, March 28, 1897. She was of French extraction.
Mr. Poucher attended Greencastle preparatory school from which he was graduated in 1894, and received his B. Sc. from DePauw University in 1898. In 1900 he took post graduate work at Cornell. His fraternity is Phi Kappa Psi. The year 1898-99, Mr. Poucher taught in Black Hills College, at Hot Springs, South Dakota, and from 1899-1902 was principal of the high school and superintendent of schools at Tekamah. From 1902-04 he was superintendent at Chadron, and 1904-06, at Weeping Water. A Republican, he was elected county superintendent of public instruction for Burt County, in 1911, and is still holding office. He has also served as mayor of Tekamah, 1917-1919; 1924-1930.
On July 27, 1904, he was married to Dorothy Lucy Mason at Decatur, Nebraska. Mrs. Poucher was born in Burt County, March 27, 1883. Her paternal grandfather was English. Her grandmother was American for several generations. There are two children: John, born July 26, 1915, and Lucy Anne, born August 31, 1919.
Mr. Poucher's professional memberships include the Nebraska State Teachers Association of which he has long been a member, the Northwest Nebraska Teachers' Association of which he became a member in 1903, and the Tekamah Library Board. He is a Mason, and served as deputy grand lecturer of the Royal Arch Masons 1928-29-30, and grand lecturer 1931. He is affiliated with the Methodist Episcopal Church, and during the World War was third district chairman of the W. C. C. S., county chairman of the United War Work Campaign and acting county chairman of the War Savings Stamps Campaign. His hobbies are reading and gardening. Residence: Tekamah.
Louise Pound was born at Lincoln, Nebraska, June 30, 1872. Her father, Stephen Bosworth Pound, was a lawyer of note. He served as judge of the district court of Nebraska, as a member of its constitutional convention, and was a member of the state senate 1872-73. He came from a long line of colonial ancestors. Among the members of the family who settled in America in its early days are John Pound, founder, who came to New Jersey from England in 1686; Richard Hartsborne, who was appointed by William Penn as commissioner to lay out the province of West Jersey; and Joseph Moore, appointed by George Washington member of a commission to promote peace with the Indians.
Stephen Pound married Laura Biddlecome, who was also of colonial stock. Thomas Biddlecome came from England in 1630, and two of her ancestors, Lawrence and Cassandra Southwick, were Quaker martyrs.
Louise is a sister of Roscoe Pound, dean of Harvard Law School and of Olivia, who is assistant principal at the Lincoln High School. She received her early education under her mother's tutelage. She entered the University of Nebraska upon examination, and completed her preparatory course in 1888. In 1892 she was given her A. B., taking a diploma in music the same year, and she received her A. M. in 1895. Later she studied abroad for a year, and in 1900 received a Ph. D. from the University of Heidelberg. She was awarded an honorary Litt. D. from Smith College in 1928.
During her attendance at the University of Nebraska she was class orator, class poet, and associate editor of a college paper. A member of Phi Beta Kappa, she has served as corresponding secretary, and president of the local chapter. In addition she holds membership in Mortar Board, Theta Sigma Phi, Chi Delta Phi, Delta Omicron, Pi Gamma Mu and Kappa Kappa Gamma.
She entered the teaching profession as fellow in English at the state university in 1894. Appointed an instructor in 1897, she has received the following promotions: adjunct professor, 1900; assistant professor, 1906; professor, 1912. During the summer of 1923 she was instructor at the University of California, in 1928 at the Linguistic Institute of Yale, in 1929 at Chicago University, in 1930 at Columbia, and at Stanford University in 1931. She is now professor of English at the University of Nebraska.
She was vice president of the Modern Language Association of America in 1916 and in 1925, member of its executive council 1921-23 and 1925, and chairman of the comparative literature section 1923, 24, 27. She was director of the National Council of English Teachers 1916-19, and national treasurer in 1917. She acted as district secretary for Nebraska of the American Dialect Society from 1922-28. A charter member of the American Association of University Professors, she was a member of the national council in 1929-1932. She is also a charter member of the following: Humanistic Research Association (British), Linguistic Society of America, and is member of the International Phonetic Association, Medieval Academy of America, American Folk-Lore Society, serving as national president, 1928, member of national council 1925-27, and was vice president of the Spelling Reform Association in 1927-1931. She was head of the section of folklore and ethnology of the Nebraska Academy of Science in 1917, continuing until 1922.
She holds membership in the Nebraska Writers Guild, She was Nebraska director of the Association of Collegiate Alumnae 1906-08, and member of National Council 1913. She belongs to the American Association of University Women, Daughters of the American Revolution, and was acting state head and chairman of overseas relief committee, National League for Women's Service, 1918; member women's committee, State Council of Defense, 1918.
She is a member of the national council of the Guggenheim Memorial Foundation for Research, 1929-32, and of the National council of the Inter-American Institute for Intellectual Cooperation.
Among her cultural and social clubs are the National Arts (New York), Arts (Washington), Women's Press (Omaha), Lincoln Country, University, Copper Kettle and Wooden Spoon.
An ardent tennis enthusiast, she was women's city champion 1890, women's state champion 1891, '92, holder of university championship in men's singles 1891, 92; representative in intercollegiate men's singles and doubles, earning a man's N; men's doubles champion Wayne County, N. Y., 1894, with Charles Foster Kent, of Yale; city champion in women's singles, Chicago, 1897, 98; holder women's western tennis championship in singles, 1897, defeating the national and Canadian champion of that year, and defeating the national champions in doubles, which brought the western champion first rank in the
United States for that year; winner of several championships in Germany in women's singles and doubles and in mixed doubles, 1899, 1900; central western champion in women's doubles, Kansas City, and western champion in doubles with Carry Neeley, Chicago, 1915; champion in men's doubles with Guy Williams, Lincoln, 1913. She was director of the Nebraska State Tennis Association 1911-13, and president of the Lincoln Tennis Association 1919.
Among her honors in golf are the following: state golf championship 1916; ranking local woman golfer 1902-28, country club champion 1906-23, 1925-27 (did not enter 1923-24), city champion 1926. She is holder of a string of bars for riding 100 miles in 12 hours, from the Century Road Club of America, for cycling 1895-96, and of the Rambler gold medal for riding 5000 miles in 1896.
She is senior editor of American Speech, founded 1925, and acted as advisory editor of the New England Quarterly in 1928; American Literature 1929; Folk-Say 1930. She has been senior editor of Nebraska Studies in Language, Literature and Criticism since 1917, and is a member of the editorial staff of University Studies.
Author and editor of many publications on literary, linguistic; folk-lore and educational subjects, some of the publications to which she has contributed are: Publications of the Modern Language Association of America; Modern Language Notes, Dialect Notes, English Journal, Anglistische Forschungen, Englische Studien, American Journal of Folk-lore, School and Society, Saturday Review of Literature, American Mercury. She is the contributor of a chapter to the Cambridge History of American Literature, of articles to the Encyclopedia Britannica, Dictionary of American Biography, etc. Among her publications are The Comparison of Adjectives in the XV and XVI Centuries (Winter, Heidelberg) ; Blends -Their Relation to English Word Formation (Winter); Poetic Origins and the Ballad (Macmillan); American Ballads and Songs (Scribner); Edition of Goldsmith's Deserted Village and Gray's Elegy (Ginn); Coleridge's Ancient Mariner (Lippincott); Shakespeare's first part of Henry the VI (Macmillan); Homer's Iliad (Macmillan); Cooper's The Last of the Mohicans (Harlow), etc. Residence: Lincoln.
Olivia Pound, educator, has lived her entire life in the state, and has taken a prominent part in the progress of her community as an author and school executive. She was born at Lincoln, April 30, 1874, the daughter of Stephen Bosworth and Laura (Biddlecome) Pound. Her father, who was born at Farmington, New York, January 14, 1833, and died at Lincoln, May 14, 1911, was a lawyer; he served as judge of the district court, 1875-87; was a member of the constitutional convention in 1875; and served as a member of the state senate, 1872-73. His ancestors came to New Jersey from England, prior to 1686; one ancestor, Richard Hartsborne, was appointed by William Penn as commissioner to lay out west Jersey, while another ancestor, Joseph Moore was appointed by George Washington to make a treaty with the Indians in Ohio.
Miss Pound's mother, who was born at Phelps, Ontario County, New York, May 15, 1841, and died at Lincoln, Nebraska, was active in public affairs during her whole life; she served as state regent of the Daughters of the American Revolution, 1896-97 and 1901-02, was a member of the city public library board at Lincoln, 1880-90; and was a charter member of the Lincoln Woman's Club; she was descended from families that came to America from England in 1630, four members of which were signers of the compact for the government of Providence Rhode Island, in 1636; Laurence and Cassandra Southwick, other ancestors, were Quaker martyrs.
Miss Pound received her early education at home, and from 1889 to 1891, was a student at the preparatory school in the University of Nebraska. She holds the degrees: A. B., 1895, University of Nebraska; A. M., 1897, University of Nebraska, where she was elected to Phi Beta Kappa, the Mortar Board, Chi Delta Phi, Pi Lambda Theta, and Kappa Kappa Gamma. She was a student at the University of Chicago, Harvard College, and Columbia University, during summer sessions.
From 1897 to 1914, Miss Pound was a teacher; was director of vocational guidance for girls, 1914-17; was. advisor of girls, 1917-18; and since 1918 has been assistant principal of the Lincoln High School.
She is the author of the following: Extra Curricular Activities of High School Girls, A. S. Barnes & Company, 1931; On the Application of the Principles of Greek Lyric Tragedy in the Classical Dramas of Swinhourne, University Studies, Nebraska Volume 13, Number 14; Hints for the Teaching of Beginning Latin, Classical Journal, Volume 9, Number 8; High School Latin and the Newly Formulated Aims of Education, Classical Journal, Volume 14, Number 2; The Need of a Constructive Social Program for the High School, School Review, Volume 26, Number 3; The Social Life of High School Girls, School Review, Volume 28, Number 1; Co-operation of Patrons in Solving the Problems of Social Life in the High School, National Educational Association Report, 1919; The Social Reconstruction in the High School, School and Society; Educational Lingo, American Speech, Volume 1, Number 6, March, 1926; Qualitative Standards for a Two Year Course in Elementary Latin, North Central Association Quarterly, Volume 1, Number 4.
Miss Pound is a member of the National Education Association; the Nebraska State Teachers' Association; Lincoln Teachers Association; the Lincoln Public School Forum; Classical Association of the Middlewest and South; the National Association of Deans of Women; the Young Women's Christian Association; and the League of Women Voters. She was president of the National Association of University Women, 1913-14, and 1919-20. Her social clubs include: Wooden Spoon Club; Copper Kettle Club. She is an Independent politically; is a member of the Society of Friends; and holds membership in the Nebraskana Society. Her hobby is gardening. Residence: Lincoln.
James Louis Pounds
Since 1893, James L. Pounds has resided at Blair, Nebraska, where he has engaged in the clothing business. He was born in Harrison County, Iowa, December 22, 1878, the son of Samuel P. and Hester (Nichols) Pounds. His father was a railroad man for many years; he was born in Indiana, in 1846, and died at Arlington, Nebraska, December 10, 1887. His mother was born in Illinois, April 11, 1862, and died at Blair, October 27, 1927.
Mr. Pounds is treasurer of the local Red Cross, and from 1924-30, was president of the Blair School Board. He is a member of the Chamber of Commerce; Retail Clothiers Association; the Nebraskana Society; and the Blair Methodist Church. He is a Mason, and an Odd Fellow. His social club is the Blair Golf Club.
He married Margaret Marie Schmidt, at Blair, October 23, 1901. Mrs. Pounds was born at Blair, March 23, 1881. To this union four children were born, two of whom are deceased: Glen Ira, born February 2, 1905, died January 1, 1916; James W., born March 10, 1907, who married Thelma Joy Leonard; David Blair, born December 9, 1918, died January 12, 1919; and Margaret Marie, born March 28, 1919.
Elmer Joseph Power
Elmer Joseph Power, farmer and insurance agent, was born near Hordville, Nebraska, March 28, 1888, son of Eli and Lucinda (Ashby) Power. Eli Power was born in Wheeling, West Virginia, May 17, 1850, and died at Taylor, January 8, 1927. He had been a farmer there
© 2005 for the NEGenWeb Project by Ted & Carole Miller