be best enhanced by efforts from within. The city's finances had been well managed, and the municipal resources were such as to warrant the beginning of an extensive system of public improvements. A comprehensive system of

sewerage had been provided, and paved streets were determined upon. The work was begun, and within two years it had progressed so well that the claim for Omaha, that it was "the best paved city of its size in the Union," passed challenge. Its commanding location as the eastern terminus of the chief trans-continental line, which, with other side transportation facilities, made it a distributing center for a vast and productive area of territory, attracted to it those elements of growth, enterprising men and capital seeking profitable investment. A city determined within itself to be a city, was a magnet to draw from elsewhere such requisites as might be wanting - and they came. In 1882 it was conservatively estimated that Omaha had a population of 30,000. The census taken by the State in 1885 showed that the city had 61,000 population, an actual increase of more than 100 per cent. Since that time the extension of the corporation limits so as to include that



portion of the city's growth which had overlapped the former boundaries, and South Omaha, the distinctive feature of the city's development, have become factors in swelling the population so that it can be safely claimed that Omaha has at present 120,000



population. Such a growth in such a period seems in the nature of the marvelous, yet there has been little or nothing of the ephemeral boom-growth in it. The increase has been achieved upon a substantial basis. People who have come to Omaha have come to stay. The investment of outside capital has been large, and the enterprises it has furthered have furnished the sustenance for the attendant elements of increase of population. The

     [General Experience Estabrook has been a familiar figure in Omaha affairs for over thirty years. He is one of the oldest settlers. He was born in Lebanon, Grafton county, New Hampshire, April 30, 1813, where his parents lived until 1822, when the family moved to Clarence (afterwards named Alden in honor of Mr. Estabrook's grandmother of that name), a town near Buffalo, N. Y. This was his home until July, 1840. In the meantime he attended Dickinson College, at Carlisle, Pa., also the law school con-

nected with Marshall College, at Cham-
bersburg, Pa., where he graduated and was admitted to the bar. He then continued his studies at Brooklyn, N. Y., part of his time being taken up with the duties of a clerkship in the navy yard at that place. The young lawyer then removed to Buffalo, N. Y., and began the active practice of his profession, remaining one year, at the end of which time he went to Geneva Lake, Wis., where he attended the first term of court of Walworth county. He practiced there until 1855. In 1851 he was elected Attorney General of Wisconsin and held the office two years. He was active in public affairs and was a member of the Constitutional Convention of 1848, in which



he took a prominent part, especially on the suffrage article, an amendment to which, offered by him, enabled the colored man to vote before the war. In 1849 he was elected to the Legislature of Wisconsin. He came to Nebraska in 1855 as United States Attorney, appointed by President Franklin Pierce, and he held the office for four years and nine months. In reaching here the party was obliged to cross the river on the ice between Council Bluffs and Omaha. This was on Monday, January 23, 1855, and the attempt was so hazardous that two men, Palmer, of Council Bluffs, and Joseph Paddock, of Omaha, in carrying a trunk between them, broke into the channel and narrowly escaped drowning. At

the first term of the court in the Territory of Nebraska in the spring of 1855, General Estabrook was the only member of the bar in the Territory, recognized as such by the court, on account of his official position, and upon his motion the first bar was admitted to practice; so that it may be said almost literally that Mr. Estabrook is the father of the Nebraska bar. In July, 1859, he accompanied the "Pawnee Expedition" up the Elkhorn, attacking the Indians at what is now Battle Creek. In that expedition Gov. Samuel W. Black was commander-in-chief with the present governor, General Thayer, in direct command. Mr. Estabrook was a member of General Thayer's staff as Adjutant General. Major General Samuel R. Curtis was also one of the staff officers. On his return from this expedition he ran for delegate to Congress, and was elected, but in a contest before the House was unseated in favor of Samuel G. Dailey, the Republican nominee. Mr. Estabrook served, however, through one session until June, 1860. He was appointed by the Governor in 1866, to codify the State laws, and was selected by the public printer to superintend the publication and prepare the index. This required his spending the summer in Chicago and he embraced the opportunity to publish a form book, called Estabrook's Forms, a valuable legal work which, unfortunately, was nearly lost to the profession -- the entire edition, with the exception of a few books, being destroyed by fire. The following year he was appointed district attorney of this district, which office he held from 1867 to 1869. In 1871 he was chosen a member of the Constitutional Convention, and the same year was employed by the board of managers as counsel to aid in the impeachment of Governor David Butler, who was found guilty and turned out of office. General Estabrook was married at Geneva Lake, Wis., April 14, 1844, to Miss Caroline Augusta Maxwell, daughter of Colonel James Maxwell, a pioneer of Wisconsin. She was born in Tioga county, Pa. They have two children, the eldest, Caroline Augusta, now married to Col. R. C. Clowry, general superintendent of the Western Union Telegraph Company. Henry Dodge Estabrook, a son, is now practicing law in this city.]

percentage of that which is termed "floating population," in Omaha is very small. There is no lack of employment for those devoted to almost any avocation, and the prosperity of the people is uniformly great. This much having been said of the community in common



terms, it is well to glance at present and prospective resources, with a view to demonstrating that the excellence of the Omaha of to-day is not only a fixed fact of the present, but is also a guaranty of future continued and increased greatness. Look first at what Omaha



has done and is doing in the way of public improvements. Information secured from the books of City Engineer Tillson makes the following showing:

Jan. 1, 1882 to

Jan. 1, 1887.

During 1887.

Horz. paren.

Horz. paren.


$1,483,065 74

$ 376,337 66


594,170 95

219,012 63


232,867 00

63,650 00


300,885 00

174,368 00


118,633 55

24,075 72

City Hall

2,364 00

23,105 59




$2,731,986 24

$ 880,549 60


Grand Total

$3,612,535 84

     The money thus expended annually in public improvements has averaged about 10 per cent. of the total amount expended in other improvements, manufactures, business blocks, residences, etc. Thus, from a few hundred thousands spent in 1882, the total value of improvements for 1887 mounts up to about $8,000,000. This enormous increase has not, however, been disproportionate with the growth of the city in population and importance as a city and center of trade. As will be shown in after statements -- actual figures -- the city has not been dwarfed in any particular respect. Its growth has been even and uniform in all the


Previous page
Next Button

© 1999, 2000, 2001 for the NEGenWeb Project by Ted & Carole Miller