NEGenWeb Project
Resource Center
On-Line Library



are open to both sexes on equal terms. A tax of one mill per dollar on the grand assessment roll of the state, together with interest income from land sales and land leases, are the chief sources of revenue. The University receives the benefit of the Morrill Acts for the maintenance of instruction in branches relating to agriculture and the mechanic arts, and of the Hatch Act, in aid of agricultural experiments. There are ten buildings on the city campus in which all the departments except the School of Agriculture, are conducted. The last two years work in the College of Medicine is given in Omaha. The libraries accessible to the students contain about 133,300 volumes, of which 55,000 are in the University library itself. Five hundred periodicals are taken by the University. During the years 1902 and 1903 the enrollment at the University was as follows: Graduate School, 123; College of Literature, Science and the Arts, 1,047; Industrial College, 673; College of Law, 182; College of Medicine, 138; School of Fine Arts, 85; School of Music, 333; Summer Session, 254; grand total, 2,835. From this 275 names have to be taken on account of repetition, leaving a total of 2,560. Nearly half were women, there being women in each department. The University is served by sixty-one professors, eight associate professors, fourteen assistant professors, seventeen adjunct professors, three hundred thirty-five instructors and lecturers, and forty assistants.
State Fish Hatcheries.
     The State Fisheries, which occupy fifty-two acres of land near South Bend, comprise the best State Fish Hatchery west of the Mississippi. This institution was established in 1879 and the first official-board was composed of W. L. May of Fremont, B. E. B. Kennedy of Omaha, and C. H. Kaley of Red Cloud. The present Fish Commissioners are George L. Carter of North Platte, Chief Game warden; Emil Hunger of Lincoln, and Harry McConnell of Albion, traveling deputy wardens; W. J. O'Brien, Superintendent of Fish Hatcheries, and Governor Mickey, as ex-officio Commissioner. During the last eighteen years, the fish product of this hatchery has averaged about 8,000,000 yearly. The annual appropriation is $3,850.00, and it is estimated that the State is greatly benefitted by her fish hatcheries. The State Fish Car which travels over Nebraska, is stocked with all kinds of fish. By means of this the streams, lakes and ponds are kept supplied with fish the year round. During 1901 and 1902 this car passed over a distance of 9,279 miles in its rounds of distribution. The fish industry is constantly growing and besides the well stocked public waters, there are many fish ponds and tanks under private ownership.
Branch Soldiers and Sailors Home.
     This Home is located in Seward County, near Milford, and is arranged to accommodate one hundred persons. It was established in 1895 and for four years was maintained in a rented building, until the state purchased the building and thirty-seven acres of land surrounding it for the sum of $13,000.00. The hospital connected with it was erected and fitted out at a cost of $5,000.00.



Picture or sketch

Nebraska State Fish Hatchries



Picture or sketch

Dairy Barn at the State Farm

The Experiment Station and the School of Agriculture.

     This department of the State University is carried on at a distance of three miles from the college campus and the tract of land which it occupies is known as the State Farm. The present farm of three hundred and twenty acres was secured in 1874. During this year the first experiments were made in the growing of sugar beets and mangel-wurzels for feed, in tests of soils, in the feeding of pigs and the raising of blooded cattle. Sorghum sugar was made and grains and grasses were experimented with to some extent. The Experiment Station was not connected with the agricultural department until 1887, when, by an act of Congress, an annual appropriation of $15,000.00 was set aside for its maintenance. Dr. Charles E. Bessey, Dean of the Industrial College and Professor of Botany, was made the first Director of the Experiment Station. He was succeeded in 1889 by Dr. Lewis F. Hicks, the Professor of Geology, who was in turn succeeded the next year by Prof. H. H. Nicholson, Professor of Chemistry. In 1893 C. L. Ingersoll, Professor of Agriculture, became Director, and served until July 1, 1895. He was succeeded by the Chancellor of the University, George E. MacLean, who resigned in 1899. Prof. T. L. Lyon, the agriculturist, performed the duties of the office in the capacity of Acting Director until Chancellor E. Benjamin Andrews became Director, October, 1900, who resigned this position in July, 1901, and the present incumbent, Edgar A. Burnett, Professor of Animal Husbandry since 1899, was chosen Director of the Station. This station has directed more effort toward the understanding of hog cholera and its preventatives than any other. Its investigation of the cause of cornstalk disease has also been very exhaustive. In 1902, this station had the credit of the important discovery that prussic acid exists in sorghum, under fixed conditions. The state dairy industry has been greatly benefitted by the researches and scientific tests made by the institution. The School of Agriculture was founded in 1895, with an attend-

Prior page


Names index
Picture or sketch

@ 2002 for the NEGenWeb Project by Pam Rietsch, Ted & Carole Miller