NEGenWeb Project
Resource Center
On-Line Library



He is a stock dealer and is now County Sheriff. Formerly he was County Supervisor during four years. He is a Republican in politics. In 1880 he was married to Miss Louise McKinney.

      FRED A. MARSH was born November 21, 1871, in Central City, where he has always lived. His parents are William E. and Mary L. Marsh, and his father was among the first settlers of the county. He studied at the Nebraska Central College at Central City and the Fremont Normal, from which he was graduated in 1892. He served two terms as County Superintendent, beginning with 1894. Again in 1903 he was elected to the same office, and is now serving his third term. He married Ivy Crites in 1893.

      F. J. KOMBRINK is serving his third term as County Coroner. Central City is both his present reisdence (sic) and his birthplace, and the date is November 10, 1874. His father was one of the first settlers in the county, coming here in 1869 as foreman of the Union Pacific Railroad. At that time a box car served as a depot. He was graduated from the Central City High School in 1892. He is a furniture dealer and a member of the Democratic party.

      D. K. NEWMYER was born in Merrick County, Nebraska, March 4, 1885. His father is one of the old settlers of this county, having come here in 1875, and at present is County Clerk. He attended the public schools of Central City. His vocation is that of a news agent, though he is now serving as Deputy County Clerk. His politics are Republican.

      WILLIAM H. C. RICE is a lawyer at Central City, Nebraska. He was born January 27, 1846, near Hillsdale, Michigan, from which place he came to Merrick County in 1871. In 1868 he was graduated from the Law School at Ann Arbor. He homesteaded in the county when he first came to Nebraska and still owns the place. Beginning with 1892, he held the office of County Judge for two terms. He was County Clerk from 1884 to 1888, and County Treasurer in 1888 and 1889. He is affiliated with the Republican party, and March 8, 1876 was married to Margaret Doherty.

      H. W. R. KOMBRINK was born in Germany October 27, 1842, and came to the United States in 1858, where he first located in St. Louis. After living for a time in Muscatine Iowa, he came to Nebraska in 1867 and took a homestead, which he still holds. At this time there was but one house in Central City and Indians were numerous. By trade he is a cabinetmaker, and is now in the furniture business. He organized a band in Central City and kept it together for twenty-five years. He is affiliated with the Democratic party. In 1866 he married Mary Lamb of Muscatine. Iowa.

      S. D. AYERS is in the lumber and coal business at Central City, Nebraska. He was born October 30, 1860, in Fulton County, Ohio, from which state he came to Merrick County, Nebraska, in 1881. He commenced teaching in Ohio at sixteen years of age, conducting school in the winter and working on the farm summers. He learned the lumber business while employed in yards at Lexington and Omaha and was also in the business at Ord, Nebraska, until 1897, when he came to Central City. He married Miss Nancy Bronnan of Merrick County April 7, 1881. He is Republican in politics.

      R. TOOLEY is the present Mayor of Central City. He has served as Chairman of the County Board of Supervisors one term and is independent of political parties. His birthplace is Pennsylvania, born July 29, 1862. He moved with his parents to West Virginia in 1871 and in 1880 came to Nebraska, where he has since lived at Central City. He has been engaged in the drug business at that place for seventeen years. In 1895 occurred his marriage to Miss Anna J. Smith, and they have one son and two daughters.


      Nance County is especially suited to agricultural and live stock pursuits. A rich dark soil, with an under strata of clay, covers 93 per cent of the surface, the remaining 7 per cent being made up of a sandy strip in the *southern part. Four-fifths of the county is up-* land, while the rest comprises the valley land of the Loup, Cedar and Beaver Rivers, besides numerous creeks. Thirty-two miles of the Loup Valley, which varies in width from one to three miles, are included within the county limits. Elm, ash, poplar and cottonwood trees

     *text between the two asterisks was printed upside down.



Picture or sketch

Prior page


Names index
Picture or sketch

@ 2002 for the NEGenWeb Project by Pam Rietsch, Ted & Carole Miller