NEGenWeb Project
Resource Center
On-Line Library



Picture or sketch     In 1872 the family located near Ord, Nebraska, where Mr. Babcock's father was engaged in partnership with Peter F. Mortensen in the real estate business, and who also served as Mr. Mortensen's deputy in the State Treasurer's office. Everett C. received a common and high school education and attended Alfred University for one year. He prepared himself for his profession as an accountant in a business college, and was employed by the Union Fire Insurance Company of Lincoln as chief bookkeeper prior to his appointment as Deputy State Treasurer.

Picture or sketch      GEORGE ANTHES, Deputy Auditor of Public Accounts, was born in Frankfort-on-the-Main, October 30, 1856. He came to Omaha in 1878 where he has resided up to the time of his present appointment. His first public service commenced in the spring of 1888, when he entered the office of the County Cleric of Douglas County. In 1890 he was appointed to a position in the County Treasurer's office, resigning the position of Deputy County Treasurer on January 4, 1900, to accept his present office under State Auditor Weston. Mr. Anthes was re-appointed to the position he now holds. He was married in March, 1881, to Amanda Getzchman. They have three children.

Picture or sketch      WILLIAM B. ROSE, Assistant Attorney General, was born in Grove City, Pennsylvania, January 25, 1862. He received his early education in the public schools of his native place and finished in Grove City College. He studied law and was admitted to the bar December 22, 1888. In 1889 he came to Nebraska and located in the city of Lincoln. From 1892 to 1898 he was Deputy State Librarian and assistant reporter of the Nebraska Supreme Court. While filling the latter position he edited, digested, and indexed all the opinions of the Supreme Court contained in Volumes 35 to 58, inclusive. Upon the election of General Prout to office in 1900, Mr. Rose became his assistant and has since been continuously connected with the Attorney General's office. Mr. Rose was married November 18, 1893, and his family consists of a wife and one daughter.

      L. C. HARNLY is a native Nebraskan, having been born in Lancaster County, August 16, 1871, son of B. F. Harnly, a farmer. He received his education in the Sterling high school and Fremont Normal School and has been employed as a teacher for eleven years, having been principal of the Crab Orchard schools for six years. He has served four years as Assistant State Superintendent under Superintendent W. K. Fowler.



      ERNEST H. PHELPS, Major of the Second Regiment of the Nebraska National Guard and chief clerk in the Adjutant General's office at Lincoln, was born on a farm at Wataga, Illinois, son of A. N. Phelps. His ancestors emigrated from England to America in 1630. Mr. Phelps received a common school education and by vocation is a railway agent and lumber dealer. He is a member of the republican party and in official capacity has served as City Clerk and as a member and secretary of the Board of Education. His residence is Schuyler, Nebraska.

      WILLIAM R. MELLOR came to Nebraska in 1885. He studied in J. R. Scott's law office at Loup City, where he still lives. In 1894 he was admitted to the bar, but for the last few years has been a real estate dealer. Indiana is Mr. Mellor's native state, and he also lived for some time in Ohio before removing to Nebraska. He is President of the State Board of Agriculture.



      The Nebraska Guard is made up of about 116 officers and 1,968 soldiers. Since its organization in 1881, the guard has annually gone into camp for military training during a period of six to ten days. The Guard is supported by an average appropriation of $33,250.00 every other year. In 1887 the Second Regiment and the Milford Cavalry troop were formed, while a little later the guard was organized into a brigade for future existence. The embryo of what is now the Nebraska National Guard was made up of the pioneer companies, which served as a protection against the Indians in the early seventies. Those who have served as Adjutant General are: S. J. Alexander, 1879; E. P. Roggen, 1883; John C. Bonnell, 1885; C. N. Baird, 1886; A. V. Cole, 1887: Victor Vifquain, 1891; J. D. Gage, 1893; P. H. Barry, 1895; J. N. Kilian, 1901; L. W. Colby, 1901; J. H. Culver, 1903. The Commanders of the Brigade since its organization have been: Brigadier General, L. W. Colby, 1887-1896; Brigadier General, C. J. Bills, 18961898; Brigadier General, P. H. Barry, 1901. Those who have been Commanders of the First Regiment are: Colonel, L. W. Colby, 1881-1887; Colonel, O. H. Phillips, 1887-1890; Colonel, J. P. Bratt, 1890-1898; Colonel, J. N. Kilian, 1900-1901; Colonel, H. L. Archer, 1901-1903; Colonel, V. C. Talbot, 1903; Colonel, J. A. Storch, 1904. The Second Regiment Commanders have been: Colonel, Franklin Sweet, 1887-1890; Colonel, C. J. Bills, 18901896; Colonel, Wm. Bischof, Jr., 1896-1898. Colonel, A. E. Campbell, 1889-1900; Colonel, Wm. Hayward, 1901-1903; Colonel, J. W. McDonnell, 1903. As late as 1891 the Nebraska National Guard was called out in full force to defend the northern state border line against the Sioux Indians, who were located at the South Dakota Pine Ridge Agency. After nearly two weeks service in the dead of winter they were released, the Indians having been subdued by United States troops. During the Spanish-American War the First, Second and Third regiments, together with a cavalry troop, were sent from this state. The First Regiment started for San Francisco and the Philippines, May 16, 1898, having been mustered into service six days previous at Lincoln. Of the 1,376 men enrolled, the regiment had lost sixty-four men at the time it was mustered out at San Francisco, August 23, 1899. The Second Regiment were not called to the seat of war, but remained at Chickamauga Park, Georgia, during their service, which began on May 10, 1898 and ended October 24th of the same year. Twenty-seven men died of disease and accident. The Third Regiment left old Fort Omaha, where they were mustered in July 13, 1898, for Jacksonville, Florida, whence they sailed to Havana December 30, 1898. They were located at Havana until the next spring, when they returned to the United States, and were mustered out at Augusta, Georgia, May 11, 1899. Thirty of this regiment died of disease. The officers of the Nebraska regiments were as follows:


First Regiment.

      Colonel, John P. Bratt; Lieutenant Colonel, George P. Colton; Majors, John M. Stotsenberg, Harry B. Mulford, Fred A. Williams; Adjutant, Frank D. Eager; Quartermaster, Lincoln Wilson; Surgeon, Frank D. Snyder; First Assistant Surgeon, Charles L. Mullins; Second Assistant Surgeon, Robert P. Jensen; Chaplain James Mailley.



Second Regiment.

      Colonel, Charles J. Bills; Lieutenant Colonel, Emil Olson; Majors, William S. Mapes, Ernest H. Tracy; Adjutant, Willard S. Harding; Quartermaster, Frank H. Myers; Surgeon, Maurice A. Hoover; First Assistant Surgeon, Michael A. Rebert; Second Assistant Surgeon, James G. Marron; Chaplain, Joseph G. Tate.


Third Regiment.

      Colonel, William J. Bryan; Lieutenant Colonel, Victor Vifquain; Majors, John H. McClay, Conrad F. Scharrmann; Adjutant, First Lieutenant Chas. F. Beck; Quartermaster, First Lieutenant, Wm. F. Schwind; Surgeon, Major, Ole Grothan; First Assistant Surgeon, Ralph J. Irwin; Second Assistant Surgeon, Albert P. Fitzsimmons; Chaplain, Captain Lidward F. Jorden.


Present Officers, Nebraska National Guard.

      The Governor's Staff: Jacob H. Culver, George E. Jenkins, Charles J. Bills, Carroll D. Evans, John A. Ehrhardt, Clarendon E. Adams, Clarence J. Miles, Jacob S. Dew, Samuel M. Melick, Joseph W. Thomas, Herbert P. Shumway, Charles W. Kaley, Joseph J. Langer, Leroy W. Garoutte.


First Infantry.--Field and Staff.

      Joseph A. Storch, Colonel, Fullerton; Warren R. McLaughlin, Lieutenant Colonel, Beatrice; Charles M. Richards, Major, Omaha; George Lyon, jr., Major, Nelson; Fred Gegner, Major, Madison; George H. Holdeman, Captain, Adjutant, York; Arundle H. Hull, Captain, Quartermaster, Fremont; Otis E. Davis, Captain, Commissary, York; Frank S. Nicholson, Major, Surgeon, St. Paul; James B. Hungate, Captain, Assistant Surgeon, Weeping Water; Emile C. Underburg, First Lieutenant, Assistant Surgeon, Stanton. Non-commissioned staff: James H. Duncanson, Sergeant Major, South Omaha; John F. Steele, Quartermaster Sergeant, Geneva; Harry Pritchard, Chief Musician, Wisner.


Second Infantry.--Field and Staff.

     John W. McDonnell, Colonel, Fairbury; Fred J. Bolshaw, Lieutenant Colonel, Lincoln; John C. Hartigan, Major, Fairbury; Oliver G. Osborne, Major, Omaha; Ernest H. Phelps, Major, Schuyler; H. Elton Clapp, Captain, Adjutant, Fairbury; Elwin E. Culver, Captain, Quartermaster, Sutton; Leonard E. Hurtz, Captain Commissary, Lincoln; Addison E. Knickerbocker, Captain, Chaplain, Nebraska City; Clifford W. Walden, Major, Surgeon, Beatrice. Non-commissioned staff: William C. Ramsey, Commissary Sergeant, Plattsmouth; George W. Gregg, Chief Musician, Osceola.


United States Military Posts In Nebraska.

     National troops are stationed at three points in Nebraska: Fort Crook in the vicinity of Omaha; Fort Niobrara, near Valentine, and Fort Robinson, near Crawford. These forts are fitted out with all the modern appointments of a military post.

Prior page


Names index

Online library

@ 2002 for the NEGenWeb Project by Pam Rietsch, Ted & Carole Miller