He came west in 1876, locating at first in Weld county, Colorado, where he was engaged in ranching for a time, then came to Sidney, Nebraska, and starting a grocery and grain business, both wholesale and retail, principally for the Black Hills trade, and continued in that enterprise for about five years, building up a good trade, his patrons coming from many miles around. During the early years here Mr. Persinger passed through all the experiences of the western life, meeting with good, bad and indifferent times, but through it all stuck to his purpose and has built up a comfortable home and fortune by his strict business dealings and integrity. On his ranch he runs five hundred head of cattle and fifty horses.
Personally our subject is a genuine western man, broadminded and of good judgment in all respects. He is at present occupying the home ranch alone, his wife having died in 1901. The daughter, Mary E., is the wife of Dr. George H. Searcy, recently located at Spokane, Washington. In political views Mr. Persinger is a Democrat, and takes an active interest in the affairs of his home community, also in state and national politics. He is well up in the Masonic order, holding membership in the blue lodge at Chappel and the chapter and commandery at North Platte.
This gentleman has worked long and hard, and denied himself many things in days gone by that he might become prosperous and thoroughly oned (sic) among the leading citizens of Cherry county, Nebraska, the scene of his early struggles and long labors, where he now holds the esteem of all who know him. Mr. Newberry is now living retired in Cody, where he owns a fine residence and enjoys the comforts and happiness of a pleasant home,
Mr. Newberry is a native of Grant county, Wisconsin, born September 11, 1848. His father, James Newberry, was a farmer of American descent, and our subject was raised in the country where he had plenty of hard farm work to do. At the age of twenty-one he came west, locating in Madison county, Nebraska. taking up some farm land. He put up a sod shanty and lived in this for some time, and remained in that county for thirteen years; going through grasshopper experience and losing three crops through these pests. Mr. Newberry came to Cherry county in 1885, settling along the Niobrara river, southeast of Cody. Here he built a log cabin with a sod roof, and started in the stock business, living on that place for two years, then went north of Cody, where he lived on a ranch of six hundred and forty acres. He built up this place, putting up good farm buildings, three wells and three windmills, and remained on the ranch up to 1902. He was very successful in his enterprise there, and sold the place for a good sum then moved to Cody, where he bought his present home, consisting of one hundred and sixty acres adjoining the village of Cody, on which he has erected a neat and comfortable dwelling. When Mr. Newberry first came to Cherry county he drove through the country from Madison county with a team and covered wagon, driving a bunch of cattle. He had come ail the way from Wisconsin to the latter county in the same way, and so his experience was not altogether new, although they encountered much hardship and discomfort from the mode of travel. When they first struck Madison county the region was swept by a three days' blizzard, a chilly reception, causing them much suffering.
Mr. Newberry was married, in 1871, to Miss Jane Snider, born in Columbus, Ohio. Her father, a native of Germany, came to America when a young man, taking in marriage Julia A. Sears, of Wisconsin. To Mr. and Mrs. Newberry four children have been born, two of whom, John J. and Melve, are living, the remaining two, Julia A. and Laura Belle, having died during childhood.
Mr. Newberry has always been foremost in every enterprise which tended to the development of the resources of the section in which he chose his home, and well merits his high standing and the success which he has attained. In political sentiment he is a Republican, and fraternally affiliates with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Modern Woodmen of America.
William B. McQueen, one of the prominent business men of Hay Springs, Nebraska, is a gentleman of exceptional business ability, and well known throughout Sheridan county as a worthy citizen. Mr. McQueen was born in the south of Scotland in 1855. His father, James McQueen, was a shoemaker who for many years had made the village of Balmaclellan his home and his family of nine children was raised there. Our subject was the fourth member in order of birth, and received a good education, after leaving school going in one of the mercantile establishments in Manchester, England, where he learned the dry goods business thoroughly. He then was employed as a traveling salesman
for a wholesale dry goods house for some time. In 1881 he left his native land and came to the United States, after landing in New York striking out at once for the west, settling in Neligh, Antelope county, Nebraska. There he taught school, part of the time farmed, and clerked, remaining in that locality up to 1889, and in that year came to Rushville where he helped organize the First National bank. He was made cashier at the beginning and held that position until 1890. He proved up on a homestead in Antelope county, and the family lived in a sod shanty there for some time.
Mr. McQueen first came to Hay Springs in 1890, and was one of the organizers of the Northwestern State bank, with officers as follows: President, Charles Weston; vice-president, L. J. Schill; cashier, William E. McQueen. The bank did a large business from the time of its establishment, and in 1904 erected the home building, which is one of the finest to be found in this section of the country. The front is constructed of South Dakota sand stone, and the style of architecture is especially attractive. It has tile floors, electric burglar alarms, the most modern fixtures and everything is in the very best shape. The clearings for the fall of 1906 amounted to about twenty thousand dollars per day. Capital stock and surplus is forty-five thousand dollars; also connected with the Gordon State bank of Gordon, and the Union bank of Rushville, Nebraska.
Mr. McQueen was married in Scotland June 8, 1881, to Miss Jessie McKeand, and on their wedding day the young couple set out for the new world. Six children have been born to them, namely: Madge, Anna, Josephine, Wilma, Charles W., and Jessie, all of whom were born and raised in Nebraska. Mr. McQueen is a Republican and has always taken an active interest in all local party affairs, attending numerous conventions, although he has never sought any office.
The above firm, composed of James C. Dolen and T. J. Bowen, are among the prominent residents of Marion township, Franklin county, Nebraska. They are engaged in the ranching business and own one of the best ranches in the vicinity, consisting of one thousand two hundred and eighty acres, on which they run a large bunch of cattle and hogs. These gentlemen have built up a fine property, and through good management and industry have been most successful in their enterprises here. James C. Dolen was born in Missouri in May, 1858, and came to Gage county, Nebraska, with his father, Benjamin Dolen, in 1863, from Kentucky, When they settled here there was only one house in Beatrice, and very few settlers in the vicinity. The uplands then were not of much account, and the pioneers all settled on the streams, the earth in the higher land showing great cracks from the drouths. Along in the eighties the rains filled all the lagoons and good crops were produced, as they have been in these latter years. Benjamin Dolen was one of the men largely instrumental in building up the locality, and took a prominent part in driving out the Indians from these parts and in the Indian wars here, remaining in Gage county where he farmed up to 1904.
Mr. T. J. Bowen is a native of southern Ohio, born in and also came to Gage county, settling there in 1895. He had formerly lived in Kansas, where he was in the stock business. He married Miss Harriett Dolen in 1882, and they have a family of four children, named as follows: James and John who have assisted their father in the work on the ranch, but are now moving to Kansas where they purchased eight hundred acres of land and will start a ranch for themselves. The third son, Shelby, and one daughter Dena will remain with their parents.
Dolen & Bowen located in Franklin county in 1904, buying the Caster ranch from L. P. Whiting, located in the vicinity of section 15, Marion township. This is a splendidly located ranch on the head of Lovely creek, fed by bountiful springs, and with good pasture land for a large herd of cattle. They feed annually about five hundred cattle, and from four to five hundred hogs. In March, 1906, they sold one shipment of three hundred and five cattle, and on the day these were shipped there were thirty-seven carloads sent from Franklin to the different markets, showing what an important live stock center this county is.
The firm has built a nice two-story residence, and have plenty of good barns. hog pens, and all necessary buildings, with all the ranch fenced and cross fenced. They are doing well, and are among the prosperous and progressive citizens of this locality.
F. M. Hall, familiarly known as "Matt" by his intimate friends and associates, is one of the representative farmers and ranchmen of Sioux county, Nebraska, and a prominent old timer of that region. His home is on section 32, township 33, range 55, and he is a gentleman of sterling character, and well merits the rich measure
of success which has come to him by virtue of his industry and good management.
Mr. Hall is a native of Hardin county, Iowa, born in 1867, on a farm. His father, Samuel Hall, was of American stock, a farmer all his life. Our subject was raised in his native county until he was nine years of age, when the family settled in Webster county, Iowa, where he grew to manhood, receiving a limited schooling, and putting in all his time on the home farm. In 1887 they came to Sioux county, Nebraska, our subject being nineteen years of age, settling in Hat Creek valley, where the father filed on a homestead and tree claim, and Matt assisted in developing the place into a good farm. Their first dwelling after locating here was a tent, in which they spent several months, then they made a dugout, next a slab house, and finally put up a comfortable log house. Our subject started out for himself about 1893, taking a homestead on which he proved up in due time, and later filed on Kincaid homestead situated in section 32, township 33, range 55, where he has built up a good home. He spent two years in Missouri engaged in farming, making the journey from Nebraska to that state with a team and covered wagon, and returning to Sioux county in the same way in 1896. He has steadily improved his ranch since that time, adding more land to his original claim, so he is now proprietor of one thousand four hundred acres, all fenced, with one hundred acres irrigated, and plenty of hay, alfalfa and pasture. He has put up all good buildings, and has a splendid supply of running water from Spring creek, which runs through the ranch. His chief business is stock raising, in which he has met with remarkable success.
Mr. Hall married, in 1893, Sarah Rickard, whose father, Lewis Rickard, is a well-known farmer and an old settler in this county. Her mother's maiden name was Elizabeth McMillan. Seven children have been born to our subject and his estimable wife, named as follows: Nellie, Floyd, Frank and Edward, living, and Claire, Ralph and Ruth, deceased.
Mr. Hall takes an active interest in all local and neighborhood affairs, and has held the office of county surveyor for four years. He is a Republican politically, and lends his influence for good government.
The gentleman above named, residing in Prairie township, Phelps county, is one of the farmers whose intelligent methods and industrious habits have helped in a marked degree to make western Nebraska farming a success, and consequently, to enhance the value of all lands in his own and other sections of the state. Mr. Cannon comes of thrifty and energetic stock, the Cannons having settled in North Carolina in the early days, later in Kentucky and next to Missouri, then Alabama, where our subject was born. When he was an infant his parents moved to Illinois, where he grew up and received his education. As a young man he followed farming for twenty years, residing on eighty acres in Logan county, Illinois, and it was there he learned that work and plenty of it goes with the making of good crops; that shallow ploughing will produce better crops of winter wheat, also corn, than deep ploughing, as the first four inches contains the richness and substance of the soil, and if one turns up the deep layers the grain is started in the poorer soil with the best hidden below. When the root first leaves the kernel it is strong and pointed, and will burrow into the hard subsoil, and if there is too great a depth of loose soil the root becomes softer so it will not penetrate the subsoil but sprout out on top of it, hence, becomes an easy prey to drouth.
Comparing his twenty years of farming in Illinois with the same period here, Mr. Cannon would not exchange his acres here for the same land there, where in Logan county it is selling for $150 to $200 per acre, and as for a place in which to bring up his family, he states that Nebraska is far ahead of Illinois. Tenants who were tenants there twenty years ago are still in the same condition, and no better off than they were then, and many are worse off. Three years ago Mr. Cannon paid a visit back to his old home, and saw three section men working on the railway at $1.15 per day, who twenty years ago were renters and with the high price of land there young men have no chance, and even the sons of rich farmers were glad to clerk or get a job on the railway, as they cannot buy land and do not wish to start at the bottom but like to keep up in the style their parents have reared them in. On the other hand, every one of the farmers who came to Phelps county at the time our subject did are now rich men, owning farms worth from $8,000 to $30,000, and have reached a success here they could never have attained had they remained in Illinois. In 1886 Mr. Cannon paid $2,250 for the one hundred and sixty acres he now lives on, and $4,000 for the adjoining one hundred and sixty acres, and today he could easily get $32,000 for the land but has no desire to sell. It is as fine a farm as one could wish for, and he has a fine residence
barns, orchard and grove as there is in this part of the country, with every convenience known to modern farming, and it is situated only three miles from Holdredge. He has raised a good many thoroughbred cattle, and has done a great deal of feeding all the time. He is now enabled to enjoy the ease and comfort of an industrious, well-spent life surrounded by a family of ten children and a host of warm friends. Mrs. Cannon died in 1903, greatly mourned by her devoted family, and they had the heartfelt sympathy of the entire community in their sad loss. There are the following children in the family: A. S., C. W., and J. H. Cannon, who are following in their father's footsteps, and own nice farms of their own; A. B. Cannon is now renting a farm, but intends buying one soon: Frank O. and Roscoe are both at home assisting their father on the farm. The daughters are Katie, Mrs. E. F. Moon; Nellie, now married; Mary. now married, and Minnie, all at home.
Milo Corbin, who holds an enviable place in the farming community in the vicinity of section 2, township 31, range 55, in Sioux county, has done his full share in the development of western Nebraska since locating here and has become widely known as a prosperous agriculturist and a gentleman of sterling character.
Mr. Corbin was born in Knox county, Illinois, in 1876. His father, John Corbin, was a farmer and followed that occupation during his lifetime. He married Emeline Carroll. Both are now deceased, and the couple were among the early settlers and homesteaders in Sioux county, where our subject was raised and educated, remaining with his parents and assisting in the farm work during his young manhood. They went through regular pioneer experiences and suffered from hardships and privations which fell to the lot of the early settlers in this region, and on account of being unable to raise any crops during the first several years they were forced into the stock business and were very successful along that line of work. In 1897 Milo left home and started for himself, filing on a homestead on which he proved up in due time, and remained on that place up to 1905, then came to his present location, which is situated eight miles east of Harrison, in section 2, township 31, range 55, and is now owner of three hundred and sixty acres, all good farm and ranch land.
He has improved it in good shape, putting up good buildings, fences, etc., and engages principally in the cattle and horse raising business.
Mr. Corbin is numbered among the well-to-do young farmers of his locality, and has gained his possessions through his own unaided efforts, by dint of industry and good management. During the early years he worked out as a freighter, making many trips into the Black Hills, also worked in the mines and on the range as a cowboy, going through all the experiences of a frontiersman, camping out on the plains in all sorts of weather, etc.
In 1901 Mr. Corbin was married to Minnie Phillips. She is a daughter of Jacob Phillips and Lavina (Shinn) Phillips, who were among the earliest settlers in Kansas. Her father still lives in Kansas, but her mother is dead. Mr. Corbin and his good wife have a family of five sons, sturdy fellows, who bid fair to become as good farmers and energetic ranchmen as their father. They are: Clarence, aged seven years; Ralph. aged six years; Cecil, five years; Melvin, aged two years, and Orvel, aged six months.
Mr. Corbin is thoroughly up-to-date in his methods of farming and operating his ranch, and is also popular in his community as a genial associate and worthy citizen. In political sentiments he stands firmly for the Republican party.
Among the younger residents of Keith county who have come to the front in a remarkable manner through industry and faithful effort, the gentleman above mentioned holds a prominent place. Mr. Boardman is engaged in the mercantile business at Paxton and is a young man of more than ordinary ability, highly esteemed by all with whom he comes in contact.
George P. Boardman was born in Lake county, California, June 2, 1880. His father, Oscar T. Boardman, was of American birth, a school teacher by profession; his wife was Viola Lapham in maidenhood. Our subject grew up in California, the family living in a number of different localities during his boyhood, much of his time being spent on a farm. He came to Paxton, Nebraska, in 1899, and worked as a clerk for two years, then attended Hastings Business College, and returning to the town resided for six years on a homestead northwest of Paxton. In the spring of
1908 he bought his present mercantile establishment, carries a complete line of goods and has built up a successful trade. He takes an active interest in all local affairs and has done much to aid in the upbuilding of the commercial resources of the section.
Mr. Boardman was married June 17, 1902, to Miss Grace Rice, a native of Springfield, Massachusetts, daughter of Elisha Rice, deceased, a prominent old settler in Keith county, whose sketch appears in this volume on another page. Three children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Boardman -- Dorothea, Deborah and Terry, the two youngest deceased. The family have a pleasant home and are among the well liked residents of their community. Mr. Boardman is a Republican in politics and a member of the Presbyterian church at Hastings.
George W. Burge, who may be found at home on section 4, township 32, range 30, is one of the leading ranchmen of Cherry county, Nebraska, and has more than local standing as a farmer, stock dealer and a general business man of acknowledged ability and trustworthiness. He has made his way to the front by industry, thrift and honesty, common and familiar, but as necessary today as ever.
Mr. Burge was born on a farm in Fulton county, Indiana, September 12, 1865. His father, John Burge, was a very successful stock buyer and farmer and removed to Custer county, Nebraska, in 1880, where he died in June, 1907. He married Polly Phipps, a native of Indiana, on the banks of the Tippecanoe river. She died in Indiana in 1879, before the family moved west.
George W. Burge was the third child out of a family of seven children born to his parents, and was reared on the old Indiana farm, where he became thoroughly familiar with hard work and ready to apply himself to any respectable labor. His education was secured in the common schools of his native community, and was supplemented by a wide and keen observation of men and affairs. Starting out in life for himself when only fifteen years of age, he was employed in a printing office at Westerville, Nebraska, for two years, in which was published the Custer County Leader. His next work was clerking in a store, in which he was engaged at the time of his marriage in 1885 to Miss Agnes Steadman, daughter of James S. and Katherine (Stuart) Steadman.
They were old settlers in Cherry county, and
are familiar figures at the gatherings of the pioneer settlers,
few having been here prior to their coming. Mr. and Mrs. Burge are
the parents of a family of four children: Gordon, Kathryn, Ruth
and Arleen. For three years after his marriage George W. Burge and
his father were engaged in a general mercantile business; the son
retired and went into farming. He had already secured a tree claim
in Cherry county, and to this he added a homestead entry in 1888.
On the homestead he made a sod house which served as the home for
the family until after he proved up in due season. About 1892 he
bought a farm on Wamaduza creek, which he later sold and came to
his present location in 1902. Here he has a Kincaid homestead of
four hundred and twenty acres, together with some fourteen hundred
acres of deeded land fronting for three miles on the Niobrara
river. Two hundred acres are under cultivation--four hundred acres
in hay land, one hundred and fifty acres in native forest and the
rest in range. The entire place is fenced and well improved. He
has a substantial and attractive dwelling, supplied with running
water and other buildings of superior character. There is a
promising orchard of one hundred apple trees, with various kinds
of small fruits growing on the place. He has on his ranch some six
hundred head of cattle, with the necessary supply of other stock.
He is a Republican in his political affiliations, being a frequent
delegate to the county conventions of his party. When the
postoffice near the mouth of the Snake river was established in
1903 the department elected to name it in honor of Mr. Burge. A
fine view of the family residence will be found on another
George W. Beamer, one of the leading citizens and old settlers of Cherry county, Nebraska, resides in La Vaca precinct, where he has a fine farm and home.
Mr. Beamer is a native of Erie, Pennsylvania, born January 24, 1850. His father, also George Beamer, was born in Bavaria, Germany, and came to America at the age of twelve years, settling at Erie, Pennsylvania, coming to Fayette county, Missouri, in 1854. There were ten children in his parents' family, of whom George was the eldest, and at the age of twenty-two he started out for himself, following farming in Kansas and Barton
© 2001 NEGenWeb Project Resource Center, Marilyn J. Estrada, T&C Miller